Jump to content
Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Martin8989

MK1 wiring help needed

Recommended Posts

Martin8989

I’m on rebuilding a mk1 895cc polo engine (1978) as a project and the engine wiring harness did not come with it so if anyone could tell me the bare minimum of wires I’ll need to get it running that would be great, I also have a few boxes of parts and trim that I won’t need if anyone is interested in buying some just let me know, thanks 

Edited by Martin8989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeti

If it's still on points ignition, I'd have thought you'd be able to get away with earths, a feed to the coil, HT's, a decent supply to the starter and something to feed the solenoid with while cranking. 

 

I link I've actually got a full mk1 engine loom, only catch is it's at mum and dad's and they're in isolation, so I won't be able to send it any time soon.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

Hi,thanks for the reply,it is still on points I will try wire it how you said but I would be interested in buying your loom when the lockdown is over with,thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

I’m also wanting a coil and ht leads if you have any forsale cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nige8021
38 minutes ago, Martin8989 said:

I’m also wanting a coil and ht leads if you have any forsale cheers

You might want to make out a Wanted advert in our free to use classified section https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/classifieds/category/8-wanted/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeti
1 hour ago, Martin8989 said:

I’m also wanting a coil and ht leads if you have any forsale cheers

 

If I've got any, they'll easily be 20 years old, so it's worth buying new. They're a fairly generic parts and do wear out, so wouldn't be expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

Ok cheers I’ll have a google just didn’t know if they had to be a certain voltage and length 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dvderlm

Ignition leads :

 

M4 connectors.

38 cm, 51cm, 52cm, 59cm for mk1/audi 50

(33cm, 45cm, 47cm, 54cm for mk2 due to 90degree bend at dizzy) and king lead long enough to reach the distributor cap from the coil 50cm?

I guess 1kiloohm RF suppressor for the radio in the plug leads.

 

 

Coil should have 1.7 to 2.1ohms primary and 7kiloohms to 12kiloohms secondary resistance for points.

It'll be about 15 kilovolts in the HT circuit. Don't try to measure it.

The condensor might be worth replacing if the points look burnt, or you can see sparks at the points when cranking.

 

Don't forget earth straps from front mount to wing and gearbox to coil mount bolt, for example.

Battery earth seems better protected than engine bay ones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by dvderlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smig1003
On 21/04/2020 at 23:56, Martin8989 said:

I also have a few boxes of parts and trim that I won’t need if anyone is interested in buying some just let me know, thanks 

What have you got? Any pics?

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

I’ll get some pictures tomorrow mate any idea what you want and I’ll look through the boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smig1003

You may have some bits in better condition than mine etc.

Let me know when pics are up.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

Ok there’s loads of small stuff I’ll get some pictures tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989
On 23/04/2020 at 12:33, dvderlm said:

Ignition leads :

 

M4 connectors.

38 cm, 51cm, 52cm, 59cm for mk1/audi 50

(33cm, 45cm, 47cm, 54cm for mk2 due to 90degree bend at dizzy) and king lead long enough to reach the distributor cap from the coil 50cm?

I guess 1kiloohm RF suppressor for the radio in the plug leads.

 

 

Coil should have 1.7 to 2.1ohms primary and 7kiloohms to 12kiloohms secondary resistance for points.

It'll be about 15 kilovolts in the HT circuit. Don't try to measure it.

The condensor might be worth replacing if the points look burnt, or you can see sparks at the points when cranking.

 

Don't forget earth straps from front mount to wing and gearbox to coil mount bolt, for example.

Battery earth seems better protected than engine bay ones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Only just seen this message I’m new to the forum,Thanks for clearing that up much appreciated I’ll be getting round to the wiring in the next week or so just waiting on a gasket set to rebuild the engine 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989
16 hours ago, Smig1003 said:

You may have some bits in better condition than mine etc.

Let me know when pics are up.

cheers

Do you have a iPhone I can send pictures to mate I don’t have a clue how to use this forum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

Iv put pictures on a ad for mk1 polo in the classifieds,cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smig1003
3 hours ago, Martin8989 said:

Iv put pictures on a ad for mk1 polo in the classifieds,cheers 

I must be going blind lol. I can’t find it. Can you put the link up?

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martin8989

If you go on the bodywork and interior part of the classifieds the main picture is a back light mate I don’t know how to send the link 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines