Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
bastibum

Cleaning engine bay with pressure washer

bastibum

On youtube there are multiple people showing how to clean your engine bay with a pressure washer, covering up only certain parts like the alternator.

Would this be an idea for cleaning the engine bay of my '84 mk2 breadvan? There are so many fragile electrical cables☠️

dvderlm

I have a 1984 breadvan. I've not dared to even  use an automatic  carwash (exterior) for probably a decade since the car died 300 yards after leaving one. It restarted 30 minutes later, just as the breakdown service said they were nearly there. Though It has since survived a fire brigade hose soaking charity clean.

Does the handbook say don't steam clean engine as this removes protective coating or am I remembering a different vehicle?

You can brush degreaser on and use a hand sprayer for water. it drips off and then needs some brushing and repeat.

I'd still use plastic bag on alternator, distributor, carburettor,  (starter motor?)

Stay below the cylinder head to stop puddles around spark plugs.

And don't do it on a hot engine to avoid burns or damage.

steveo3002

wash mine all the time , plastic bag over the important bits , and do it somewhere you wont be stranded

Yeti

VW were that worried about water ingress into the disi that the cars came with a plastic bag sort of thing over it when they were new. I'd be worried that a pressure washer would push water into electrical plugs and cause corrosion in the longer term. 

I'm not into detailing and all that. If I want to clean an engine, all I normally do is use a bit of thinners or whatever in a paraffin gun on the compressor and let it drip down and evaporate. Seems to work well, doesn't really put a high pressure in and you can aim it better than a pressure washer. 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/26c-paraffin-spray-gun/

You could probably use a spray bottle or one of those pump up weed killer bottles if you rinse it out after use and aren't too bothered about it eating the seals over time.

Dean
On 27/04/2020 at 14:38, bastibum said:

On youtube there are multiple people showing how to clean your engine bay with a pressure washer, covering up only certain parts like the alternator.

Would this be an idea for cleaning the engine bay of my '84 mk2 breadvan? There are so many fragile electrical cables☠️

Did it once and messed up my MAF, £150 later from TPS I was up and running again.

Engine are made to have water around them, but not at such a high pressure. Now I cover all the parts I don't want water to get to with plastic bags and use a hand held sprayer.

caretakerplus

Do you really need to use a HP washer?

If you are trying to clean away oil and grime, you might like to consider (after covering the electrics, as suggested above) -Using something like 'Jizer' or 'Gunk' to apply by brush, leaving it to soak in, then re-applying if need be, but certainly agitating it with the brush before using a garden hose (or even a watering can)  to remove the, by now emulsified oil and grime.

Once it is reasonably dry, remove the protection that you placed on the electrics - It might pay to remove the distributor cap and make sure that there is no moisture in there.

Regards