Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
Eviljohn

Breadvan fuel leak

Eviljohn

Okay, scrap that. Went out 2 hours later to a small puddle that smelled of fuel. But i now have a theory! Since i reconnected the fuel return, the pressure in the fuel system is going to be different. Is it possible that pressure and heat built up while driving, even short trips, causes the fuel in the tank, (a hair shy of halfway full now,) to expand or move around in the tank, and end coming out of the breather outlet on the filler neck? Would mean the hose at that end isn't on properly. 

Will be whipping that inside rear panel off tomorrow to check what i can and adjust if needed.

Eviljohn

I've taken that panel off, the pipework behind has fuel on it at the filler neck end but is dry everywhere else. 

Taken rear wheel off, only evidence i can see of a leak is the larger breather hose. The hose is attached but is at an awkward angle so the filler neck breather outlet is not lined up correctly with the pipework that runs inside the shell for the breather hose to go through. 

Is it possible for just an incorrectly fitted breather hose to leak as much as it has? Probly had around 2 litres come out in total so far. No sign of any other leak on the tank. 

dvderlm

The larger breather pipe is inside a tunnel in that space.

I could not pull the old breather tube out, I think combination of rust in there and that it had become very hard

I ran a new tube in parallel and used a Herbie clip to attach it to filler neck.

Eviljohn

Inside the wheel arch, i only see one hole for the large breather to go through. I'm guessing that is the solid pipe that runs through the side panel. Did you have to drill another hole or were you able to just connect it up? 

As far as i know, the pipe is fine on mine. Looks and feels okay to me. No rust i can make out. Can't actually see the filler neck end but it feels smooth, consistent with the rest of the pipe that i can actually see.

I'm hoping to get some time real soon to get the tank off again so i can check that. I have already drained it as it was leaking out anyway.

dvderlm

In very hot weather with nearly full tank yes a lot can escape while stationery if vapour does not go up the upside down U trap.

I made another hole which was easy as the outlet was quite rusty.

Smothered it in underseal after waxoyling inside. Probably should have cleaned up more. 

Eviljohn

Okay.

Mine was half way full or just under so i could be looking for another leak. 

I think the pipe on the car is okay, just doesn't line up with breather outlet on filler neck. It's the correct height, just a few degrees out on the angle. May try and bend the filler neck outlet just a little if i can. 

Thank you.