Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
BoristheBreadvan

HELP NEEDED, engine runs perfect but sporadically cuts and will not start

BoristheBreadvan

Ive got a mk2 1.3 1990 polo In the 6 months of ownership used daily and never had a problem before now, at the start of lockdown she was sat on the drive for 4-5 weeks (un started) while i sorted some rust on the F valence + painted the engine bay, after that on the first drive she just cut out twice but started again, the next day i drove about 11 miles same thing happened at the start of the drive, on the way back (halfway up a hill ! ) she died, this time would only restart if left for 5 and would then die after a minute ( which is still where i am at now ) oddly when running she is perfectly normal.... since i have rebuilt the carb 2 times (Webber 32/34 DMTR) replaced the pump diaphragm on the carb, cleared the fuel lines and replaced the filter plenty of fuel is getting to carb now for sure !, jets all clear and correct, i originally assumed it was fuel/carb related as before it died a few time you could keep it alive for a few seconds longer with the choke fully engaged... after another fiddle today with no success i am truly baffled and starting to get pi$%ed off with it, any suggestions would be very very welcome     

George

caretakerplus

Welcome to the Forum.

I was going to suggest that it might be the in-line fuel filter, but then read that you have changed it.

If you are quite sure that there is sufficient petrol in the carburettor, my next suggestion won't be of much help either - I was going to say that it might be a fuel pump problem, possibly the diaphragm, which could have 'dried out' with standing.

Just in case it is fuel related, try leaving the petrol filler cap off and see if that helps, if it does, it would suggest that the tank is not vented.

If everything on the fuel side is OK, there may be an ignition problem, which could be as simple as condensation on the inside of the distributor cap.

Failing that, perhaps you could check for dirty or poor connections and maybe check the continuity of all the low tension ignition cables.

Other ignition possibilities include 'tracking' on the rotor arm, distributor cap or the nose of the ignition coil.

Tracking looks a lot like a pencil line on the surface of the insulation.

Let us know how you go on.

Regards

dvderlm

Could be rusty crud blocking the fuel line impeding flow (check how well it pumps into a container when cranked).

1990. Does it have Hall sender? 3 wires coming off distributor. 

Hall sender dying will randomly cut when warm then restart after 5 to 15mins.

Edited by dvderlm

Jim1500
10 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Could be rusty crud blocking the fuel line impeding flow (check how well it pumps into a container when cranked).

1990. Does it have Hall sender? 3 wires coming off distributor. 

Hall sender dying will randomly cut when warm then restart after 5 to 15mins.

I'd replaced my distributor as it would cut out like that randomly, then I learnt that hitting the dizzy a tap would allow to start again, got a second hand dizzy and that sorted a a while and then that one started to do it so go a new (possibly refurbed) one from GSF. Wondering now was it just the hall sender unit and I replaced the whole thing??

I was actually going to suggest this when read the thread yesterday but don't like offering duff info so thought I'll allow more knowledgeable folks to offer advice first.

10 hours ago, dvderlm said:

BoristheBreadvan

Thanks for all the replies !, 

She's running great now, however i still wouldn't bet on what it was... must of been electrical though as the improvement came after i checked the connections on the dizzy (does indeed have a hall sensor) ignition leads...earth strap and everything i could find, also cleaned the plugs etc... was probably something loose, 

thanks again for the help !