Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
chrispbug

1.4tdi 6r

chrispbug

Hi 

I own a 2016 1.4tdi Polo 6r which due to the lockdown has a flat battery. I think the battery is coming to the end of its life and needs replacing soon.

Can I fit a new battery myself or is it a VW job ? I've heard that doing it myself can cause major problems with the various electrical components including the CD player and radio.

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Thanks in anticipation 

Chris

dvderlm

Hmmm,  4 years old. Batteries have 3,4 or 5 year warranty usually. .  But I've known them live over a decade. Think it depends how many short journeys you do. 

Original fit VW branded batteries are quality items (Varta or Enertec sub manufacture?)

You can change it yourself with a few simple tools and some common sense to beware of acid drips or shorting terminals.

The radio may need the stations retuning afterwards if you are very slow. Never heard of a CD player being affected, but then my Polo only has a radio cassette player.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-fit-a-car-battery

has general instructions and the most stupid animation of spanner heads on the battery terminals themselves, not loosening the wire contacts which clamp tight to the terminals. 

The video does not describe the main fusebox sat on top of the battery that need to be lifted out of the way.

You might want to invest in a solar cell trickle charger or mains powered trickle  charger if you can run mains cable without being a trip hazard.

This will keep the battery charge maintained over long periods and battery in top condition for the remaining duration of the lockdown.

CTek chargers are very good but quite expensive.

Instead I put one of these on a 1.9TDI (with a 14 year old battery) since end of April (when it was only £16).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H73DFV8

You can even connect a charger  into cig lighter socket while performing the battery swap and keep the radio memory.

Don't try listening to the radio or operating the lights or starting the car with just a trickle charger.

chrispbug

Thank you so much for your reply.  One thing I should have said is my Polo has the Stop/Start system fitted. Would this charger be ok to use for this ?

Again thank you

Chris 

nige8021

As you have the Stop/Start the battery will need to be coded into the car with the make model A/Hr rating otherwise the charging system & start/stop might not work correctly  

You will need a battery charger that is suitable for AGM batteries and the one @dvderlm linked mentions it is OK with AGM so should be OK

Antony Eggleshaw

Best thing is to try charger the battery up first, if this dosent bring any luck you can replace it your self in a matter of minutes. 

Most important ecus take around 5 minutes to fully power down do turn the car off and leave it for about 5/10 minutes. 

Next step is to disconnect the battery and that is earth first and then live making sure they dont connect, and then remove the holding ol late usually a 13mm bolt comes off easy 

Put the new battery in place safely secure it with the plate and 13mm bolt and then attach the cables this time red black (live then earth) slightly grease the thermals and make sure they are secure

Usually only thing that goes wrong is the clock so that will just need resting to your local time 

chrispbug

Thank you all for your advice and replies. Very much appreciated 

chrispbug

If I connect an AGM charger with the battery still on the car, I know that the positive lead fits onto the battery + terminal.  Reading up on these chargers, it seems that the negative lead shouldn't be fitted to the - battery terminal but to an earthing point on the body. 

Where should I fit the negative lead to ?

Again I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and I can look forward to any replies.

Chris 

dvderlm

If jump starting, attach negative lead to any piece of bare metal on the engine.

This is to enable 50 or so amps to heat the glow plugs and then several hundred amps to flow to turn the starter motor and spin the engine for a few seconds)

For a trickle charger the negative battery terminal is fine as under 1 amp flows (but for many hours).

For a full charger (not jump starting) battery negative terminal should be fine.  SEE NIGE'S REPLY BELOW vvvvvv

Usually under 8amps even for  fully discharged battery.

Do the connections, then plug the charger into mains. No chance of sparks that way. Slight danger time is when the battery is producing gas bubbles.

AGM battery is sealed (so never needs topping jp with distilled water) but surely has a vented valve.

Same when disconnecting. Turn off at mains first. 

Edited by dvderlm

nige8021

You have read correctly, part of the stop/start system is a current sensor in the negative lead from the battery, so by connecting the charger direct to the negative terminal bypasses the sensor and the system will not know the state of the battery charge, so you need to connect the negative lead from the charger to the chassis or engine block/gearbox 

• Like 1

chrispbug

Thank you again

I'm going to get this charger as it seems to do what I want it to do -

Ctek Multi MXS 5.O Smart 12v or this one Ctek CT5

Cheers 

Chris

• Like 1

dvderlm

Just make sure it has a GB plug.

• Like 1

Antony Eggleshaw
2 hours ago, chrispbug said:

If I connect an AGM charger with the battery still on the car, I know that the positive lead fits onto the battery + terminal.  Reading up on these chargers, it seems that the negative lead shouldn't be fitted to the - battery terminal but to an earthing point on the body. 

Where should I fit the negative lead to ?

Again I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and I can look forward to any replies.

Chris 

I always connect to negative on to battery never had a problem, I have AGM charger and nothing has happend. And for a eath point if you want too just follow your negative lead down from battery 

nige8021

This is from the dealer manual

Note
In vehicles with start/stop function and battery monitor control unit -J367- fitted, black terminal clamp “-” must be connected to body earth. Connecting it to battery negative terminal will cause start/stop system to malfunction.
  • Thanks 1

chrispbug

Hopefully this will be my final question 

When people say about "earth points" , where's the best place to attach the negative lead from the charger ?

Could I use the bodywork or any metal part that's easy to get to ?

Again I'm indebted to you all for putting up with my questions and appreciate your advice very much. 

Chris

nige8021

Anywhere on the engine or gearbox that is easily accessable and not painted or if you can see the bolt head that the negative lead from the battery where it connects to the chassis.

Edit:

Just looked at the maintenance manual and it seems there is a "Jump Start" point by the air filter  #14 is the Positive terminal & #12 is the Ground/Negative terminal

946822378_PoloJumpstartPoint.thumb.jpg.74c950954043605847fff69bd0531921.jpg

chrispbug

This morning I've finally got my head around things. I followed the earth lead from the battery to where it fixes to the body.

To my un-mechanical eye, it looked like there could be a plastic cover over the nut.  A quick scrape with a small spanner and it seems the 'cover" is in fact metal.

Once my new charger arrives I'm hoping that's all sorted and , at last I can charge the battery 😁

20200526_115742.jpg