Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Sign in to follow this  
bastibum

Front brakes pre '85 mk2 breadvan

bastibum

Does anybody know the ins and outs of replacing the front discs and pads on a pre 85 Mk2? The system with square brake pads I'm talking about. my haynes manual is from 1990 or so

dvderlm

I changed mine for ATE vwII calipers which are simpler and work with vented discs.

I do remember pulling out a wire clip and having to hit two pins out with a punch and a crucifix springy thing first

to be able to pull the worn postage stamp pads out.

and resetting the piston inwards with a piece of wood.

I never changed solid discs myself, but if you can lift the caliper off the strut and support it , it should be just 1 very rusty screw locating the disc on the hub for easier alignment  of the wheel bolts...

Try this?

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/BrakeJob.html#front-pads

bastibum

Yeah your memory is 100% correct. Getting the pads out was the easy part. I can't get the new ones to click in properly, not enough space for the new brake disc. Probably due to corrosion on the caliper bracket. 
Time to do some sanding 😔

Yeti

It's well worth at the very least changing the calipers for VW1's (same size disc but bigger pad area) or VW2's (same diameter, vented discs). 

dvderlm

Sanding what ... the slots for the pads?

Not the pads.

Did  the pistons push back in easily? 

bastibum
17 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Sanding what ... the slots for the pads?

Not the pads.

Did  the pistons push back in easily? 

I meant sanding the slots. Didn't really work. No the piston does not push back that easily. I tried using big pliers. How did you make use of the wood?

Yeti

Make sure you've got the brake reservoir cap off if you're trying to push the pads back. You can use a windback tool (cheap enough), but they don't actually need winding, so I just use a G-clamp and one of the old pads to spread the load.

bastibum

I eventually found even bigger pliers and it worked. Seems like it's freewheeling on both sides now (maybe ever so sligth contact). But on the left side the outside pad is a bit skewed. At least, it seems to rub every rotation at a certain point and then is free again. The disc is new, so it can't be warped

dvderlm

Hub surface clean?

Definitely pad and disc and not the dust-shield metal?