Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
davedex

Breadvan ticking noise when driving

davedex

When driving along I get a ticking noise which increases with speed and seems noticeable at about 25mph onwards. It is only audible out of the drivers side, I have checked both front and rear tyres on that side for nails/stones, things sticking out of the tyre and taken both wheels off to see if anything looks wrong but all seems ok. It seems to be coming from the drivers side as nothing can be heard out of the passenger side window.

In an effort to find the issue, i jacked the front of the car up to support both front wheels and put the car in gear to see if I could get the noise to happen without success.  As I accelerated, the drivers side wheel was going round as I would expect, but the passenger one was barely turning - is this right? 

When I put the car in gear  with engine off, I was still able to turn the drivers side wheel round - is this correct?  Either way, I could not get the ticking noise to happen when I jacked it up

any suggestions to-this problem would be gratefully received.

steveo3002

are the anti rattle shims present on the brake pads?

what you describe with wheels turning is the diff working 

does it get worse at higher speeds , what if you put it into neutral while moving ? ...possibly a cv joint ?  , gear oil topped up?

caretakerplus

I too was going to suggest those anti rattle shims - but you can possibly eliminate those, simply by applying the foot brake slightly whilst driving and the rattle is present - If the rattle is still there when the brake is applied, then it is NOT due to these shims.

Are you sure that the rattle is on the outside? The thought crosses my mind that it could be from the speedometer drive cable.

What you describe as the front wheels turning at different speeds is quite normal and is due to the differential action. (It is there to allow each wheel to turn at a different speed when going round a corner.)

Regards

dvderlm

Worn maybe damaged hub or wheel bearing?

If you apply handbrake, jack up car, put in neutral,  and spin the wheel by hand does it make a grinding noise, compared to the other side?

Wheel is doing 300rpm at 25mph with weight on a few ball bearings and a thin film of oil

Edited by dvderlm

damunk

press clutch pedal in and see if noise goes away