Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
heartagram

Rough guide to tinting lights.

heartagram

First off let me say if you do exactly I say and it knacks your lights don't come crying to me. This is just a guide of what I did and by doing it yourself you agree that its your own responsibiltiy. I can't see why it would fuck anything up bud I don't want anyone blaming me :D

Right,

First off you'll need some tinting spray. You can get it from most motorfactors for around £10-15. I got mine of ebay for around £15. Nice big 400ml can so can do a few sets of lights with it.

DSC00613.jpg

I was going to take the lights off the car but I didn't really see the point as I though it could be done well enough with them on the car. So first off I where all the raised markings were on the lights. In the picture below you can see the Hella marking roughly in the centre of the light and in the bottom corner you can see a circle with some writting in it.

DSC006091.jpg

Once you've found all these bits crack out the 240 grit (I wouldn't use anything rougher to be honest, 240 seemed to be perfect).

Sand down all the bits that are raised. It will look like your knacking the lights but don't worry, they should be fine. The plastic will turn satin when you sand it so if there are any glossy bits on it you haven't sanded down far enough. You don't need to do the entire light with 240 grit just the bits that are raised.

Once you've done that should look a little something like this..

DSC00610.jpg

Because you end up with bits that are really rough and satin and other bits that are still smooth like factory I gave the whole light a go over with some 600 grit wet and dry (with warm water with a little drop of soap). It still looked a bit rough after this so I gave it a once over with some 800 grit aswell (again with warm water). The light looked nice and smooth but with a light key.

DSC00611.jpg

After this I gave them a quick clean with some spirts and left it to dry for a bit. Once it had dried enough I cracked on with masking. I think I spent more time on masking than anything else. Making sure I got it right.

DSC00612.jpg

Once it was all masked up it was read to paint. So I put a nice even coat of red on top and let it dry for a while. Looked a bit thin so I gave it a once over again and it came up perfecto. Removed all the masking and it looked a little something like this. Looks a bit orange in the pic but when you see it in person it looks like a perfect match with the stock red bits. Not sure why its come up orange in the pics.

DSC00615.jpg

If you wish to finish them off with some laquer thats up to you. I don't have any laquer knocking about so there gonna stay bare for now but that will mean they will probably need doing again at some point. Laquer should protect them I'd image.

In total cost me nout cause I had all the bits lying around. But call it £15 for the spray (which will do at least 5 sets of lights I reckon) and about 99p for the masking tape. Newspaper can be picked up free from a multitude of places.

Nice cheap way to mod your lights :D

DJ_Troopa

Looks good dude :thumbsup: My bro laquered his lights after he sprayed them red. Then we let them dry and settle. Once that was done we used car wax on them to give it a little shine! Try it out.

heartagram

Its a good mod to do to Lexus lights I reckon. Like buy cheap lexus lights for a mk4 and then spray them red.

Guest Markeh

thinking about doing this to my spoiler on ze 6n, mines clear for some reason wheras other 6ns seem to have red ones, will match my facelift lights nicely i think.

nice guide

andy_tratter

looks good there mate, was just wondering how well the indicators shine through when there on. like are they as clear as before they were tinted or are they a dull mix of red and orange?

cheers

phillll

added this to my favs nice one

Edited by phillll

phillll

done mine yesterday in black

used some other stuff to what you used and didnt find i had to be so carefull...took me 5 coats quite thick ones too, however the left is slightly lighter then the right

Spade

Great tutorial - thanks. Does it still flash orange? Did you get some of those chrome/amber bulbs instead?

stefduff

Green + Red = Orange. Ie, buy green bulbs.

Spade

Has anyone else's gradually washed off?

tomthemonky

Thats really good to know! thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Has anyone on here tinted there rear lights black? if so, what is the finished product like? and are the brake lights etc easily seen?

and, is it even legal?

thanks

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.