Sign in to follow this  
skipp

Yet another GT problem

skipp

ok been having a clean getting the car ready for show season.

now after my tinkering, the fuel pump wont prime.

i have hooked the battery straight 2 the pump and it works.

the relay under the dash clicks wen ignition is turned on as does 1 of the relays near the fuse box.

are both the relays suposed 2 click?

can anyone tell me what parts of the engine effect the fuel pump so i can check the wires?

please help as i hate my pride and joy poorly.

hayesey

both relays should click, one is the ECU relay and one is the fuel pump relay. I forget which is which.

check the blade fuse on top of the fuse box as this is for the fuel pumps. Also check the white connector block in the back of the fuse box (from inside the car), you'll prob have to remove the bottom part of the dash on the passenger side to get to it. These are push-fit only and can come loose and the power to the fuel pumps goes through it.

Purple Tom

What he said ^

I had the same problem with my old GT not long after I got it. Sometimes it would prime and other times it wouldn't. I discovered that by reaching down under the dash on the passenger side and wiggling the loom I was able to get the pump to prime.

I did this for a few days and then bit the bullet and took the loom apart. I found that the connector for the fuel pump from the engine loom to interior loom (red wire w/ yellow trace) had corroded and caused the dodgy priming problem.

I bypassed the wire by cutting it where it enters the connection block, running it through the bulkhead (with a grommet) and joining it back up to the fuel pump wiring inside the car.

I could have tried to sort the corrosion and re-done the connector but I needed a quick fix and that only took about half an hour from start to finish.

Hope that helps a bit!

skipp

cheers guys. il have 2 check them and if anyone knows what relays what.