azzajones

Gti Block And 16v Head Information Needed?

azzajones

hi, I've got a polo 6n 1.4 16v afh engine. i want to put a block off a gti with my head on it. what head gasket, head bolts, timing belt, tensioner, crank pulley do i use? how would it be timed up, on original marks? would it fit straight in with all connector's connecting in the same place and engine mount? i thought of doing this because the bodys mint and i got a reconed gearbox 2 go in aswell. so basically i need all of the info needed 2 do this. I've tried lookin for it but doesnt seem 2 help me much. thanks

bob_drinks_beer

i wanna do the same. and have been trying to find the same info with no luck :(

azzajones

anyone?

JakeBlood

I've got this conversion, 8-)

As far as I'm aware the block goes sraight in on the original mounts. I've got a list at home with the parts and numbers needed. Ill try and fish them out for you.

Jake

bob_drinks_beer

cheers mate

6n G40
hi, I've got a polo 6n 1.4 16v afh engine. i want to put a block off a gti with my head on it. what head gasket, head bolts, timing belt, tensioner, crank pulley do i use? how would it be timed up, on original marks? would it fit straight in with all connector's connecting in the same place and engine mount? i thought of doing this because the bodys mint and i got a reconed gearbox 2 go in aswell. so basically i need all of the info needed 2 do this. I've tried lookin for it but doesnt seem 2 help me much. thanks

Hi all

I have done this conversion myself to a friends car.

Most important thing is to get the GTI block drilled out to accept AFH head bolts as the GTI ones are much smaller and thinner.

I used a AFH timing bet and all the pullies and tensioners from a AFH and i used the polo GTI head gasket.

It has R1 throttle boddies head gas flowed straight through exhaust and is producing 154BHP with more to come.

Hope this helps

post-22728-1236992700_thumb.jpg

MikeyMK

How did the AFH belt fit and time-up? Surely the 1.6 GTi block is taller?

Gaz

The post mk4 1.4 and all 1.6 blocks are the same height

bob_drinks_beer

sweet cheers for the info!

time to start saving agin lol

MikeyMK

The deck heights are matched to the strokes on the one's I've got,which are 6n.

This is a '98 1.6 block with a '98 AFH head on it. The block is taller than the '98 AFH block by approx 9mm. The 16v rods and pistons sit almost flush with the deck at TDC,compression ratio about right (flush on AFH),it all fits as per GTi as far as i thought.

No surprise then,that either the belt or engine mount are going on - but not both.. :)

So if the GTi has a shorter block,it must have shorter rods as well,then. I dont see how they can be 9mm shorter without being pulled too far at BDC.

I appreciate that my replication of a GTi block may be flawed,but any differences dont make sense.

If anyone knows where I've gone wrong,such as ETKA which i dont have,or the ability to do maths which i also dont have,could they enlighten me please?

post-3898-1237401415_thumb.jpg

Guest johnbrennan

finally found some info cheers so when you say AFH you mean time the engine using the 1.4 16v timing belt and all the tensioners and pullys from the 1.4 too. did you also stick your 1.4 fly wheel on to the 1.6 block and how hard a job was the block to drill and tap i was gona try and sleeve the 1.4 head so i could just use 1.6 gti head studs so as not to weaken the block. how did it run with 1.4 ecu?? i have my head off its getting new valves and seals atm and i have a bottom end off a 2001 gti my 6n is a 1997 model but I'm hoping this works :)

Edited by johnbrennan

MikeyMK

Finally found..?

Guest johnbrennan

could you not just use 1.6 head studs and use a bigger washer so that you dont have to bore the block or will you loose compression.

MikeyMK
could you not just use 1.6 head studs and use a bigger washer so that you dont have to bore the block or will you loose compression.

Ah,so I'm not the only one who wonders why someone would go through the hassle of re-threading the block instead of the far easier and obvious method of using the GTi bolts with bigger washers.

If they're good enough for the GTi head,surely they'll be fine with the AFH too?

Anyone know what we're missing here?

Guest johnbrennan

will the 1.4 flywheel bolt on ok?

Guest johnbrennan

i have started the conversion and so far the only thing different is the 2001 gti bottom end has an oil cooler weras the 1.4 just has an oil filter but the cooler can be screwed out and a filter put on. The oil lines and water ways mostly line up but there is a bit of difference between the head gaskets. the 1.4 16v uses a 10mm head stud and the gti uses an 8mm head stud so I'm gona try and just use a bigger washer on a 1.6 head stud. the timing belts for both engines are identical so it shouldn't be a problem. hopefully it can be mapped ok. what work did any of use have done to your head to allow it to fit properly any info on any machining that needed done would be useful

75/100 hp 1.4 dunno if this applies to the 1997 1.4 16v because my 1.4 16v def has a cast bottom end

Configuration

[/size]

76.5 bore × 75.6 mm stroke, 1.01 ratio, 347.5 cm³ per cylinder, 1390 cm³ inline four

Head

aluminum, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, 10.5:1 compression

Block

aluminum, five bearings

fuel

Electronic injection MPi Gasoline, throttle by tackle

output

55 kW (75 PS) at 5000 rpm, 126 N·m (93 ft·lbf) at 3800 rpm

74 kW (100 PS) at 6000 rpm, 126 N·m (93 ft·lbf) at 4400 rpm

120/125 hp 1.6 GTI

Configuration

bore/stroke 76,5/86,9 mm, 0.88 ratio, 399 cm³ per cylinder,1598 cm³ in line four

head

aluminium, DOHC, four valves per cylinder

block

cast iron, five bearings

fuel

Motronic Injection

output

88 kW (120 hp) at 6200 rpm, 150 N•m (111 ft·lbf) at 4000 rpm

92 kW (125 hp) at 6500 rpm, 152 N•m (112 ft·lbf) at 3300 rpm

application

VW Polo GTI, VW Lupo GTI; VW GX3

Edited by johnbrennan

loopypolo

Any progress with all this, any info would help as half way through the process

MikeyMK

Okay,I've been tinkering with this over the last couple of weeks,and found it near impossible - though i used a BCB engine from an '03 Golf,which shares the GTi design.

I have now built a 1.6 AFH,but i had to use an AEE crankshaft to do so.

This is because the AFH cambelt is too wide for the BCB crank pulley,and the AFH crank pulley doesn't fit the BCB crank.

So if you want a 1.6 16v using the AFH head,this is what i recommend because I've done it,i know it works,and i know what parts are needed.

(Also,this engine is entirely bolt-together,using entirely OEM parts - no engineering)..

A) Full AFH engine.

B) Bare 1.6 8v AEE crankshaft (uses AFH's chain-driven oil pump and wide cambelt sprocket).

C) 1.6 16v BCB con-rods and pistons (snapped-type big ends - use new bolts as they're stretch bolts).

Its that simple. :)

Doesn't include fuel system because I've used bike carbs,so good luck with that..

Guest johnbrennan

nice i have also made some progress, i have my 1.6 avy gti block drilled and tapped out m11 by 1.5 metric corse so it is the same as the 1.4 so i can use 1.4 head studs my heads away getting resealed and a new valve i have fly wheel clutch and gearbox on the 1.6 gti block and its ready to go bak into the car then ill bolt the head on and use a 1.6 gti head gasket and hopefully it should al work

loopypolo

I'm getting some collars machined that fit into the 1.4 head allowing the 1.6 bolts to fit snug. Cant be arsed getting the block drilled and tapped. Just ordered all the parts. Got some fast road cams, vernier pulleys and jenvey throttle bodies to go on too :D

Has anyone else noticed tho that the waterways on the 1.6 head gasket dont match up with the 1.4 head.

Also going to fit an oil cooler to the pipes coming from the oil filter housing.

MikeyMK

Another good thing with using both AFH block and head - they were designed to go together,and use standard bolts and gasket.

Guest johnbrennan

yea i have an oil cooler on my 1.6 block i havnt got my head back so i havnt checked i just placed the 1.4head gasket on the 1.6 block not all the holes line up or the cut out in the gasket is slightly different wer its maybe to holes on the 1.6 gasket its a slot on the 1.4 but some of the water ways must line up

loopypolo

It looks like it will have reduced flow so that is why i will run an oil cooler to maintain temps. Such a bloody rip off for all the parts at vw. £190 for seals, gasket, bolts etc...