How to fix non working/stiff door locks!

deviance

Well, i've found out that it's a common problem on MK4 Polo's, that the door locks break, causing the key to just spin in the lock, get jammed, or remove the whole locking barrel when you pull the key out.

There aren't many good guides out there on how to fix this issue, I found one on the Internet that didn't tell me fuckall about how to fix it. Mine is for the later type door lock, also fitted to Passat's.

So I decided to have a crack at making my own. Bear in mind this is the first time I've done anything like this, and the photos were rushed as I had to be out, so excuse the poor focus on a few!

Right, let's get started.

The tools you will need are-

1xTORX 25 screwdriver OR socket+ratchet

Patience!

Maybe a small Flathead screwdriver

Spare parts

So your door lock is spinning when you insert the key, not working, jamming or the lock has come out of the door, you need to source a secondhand lock mechanism, or order the broken part's from VW. You won't know what is broken until you remove the lock from the door, so lets take the lock out of the door first and identify the problem.

Start by finding the screw that holds the handle and lock to the door of the Polo, it's the same for passenger and drivers side of the car-

Remove the screw arrowed with the TORX screwdriver, then grab the handle and push the handle towards the front of the car and it should unclick and pull out.

img8687i.jpg

I suspect you will be greeted with a handle with just the lock in it, or a mashed up locking mechanism. The parts that are broken will have fallen down inside the door, so you can remove the door card by gently prying the bottom corners away from the door, popping off the door handle cover and removing the 2 screws. Then remove the door card and unplug the mirror adjustment buttons. You can then get inside the skin of the door and remove the broken parts.

This is what I was Greeted with inside my door...

img8692o.jpg

I had to source a new door handle for my Polo because the part arrowed was bent out of shape-

img8693c.jpg

These are the comparison between the broken and second hand/new parts-

img8696s.jpg

img8697j.jpg

img8698q.jpg

img8699l.jpg

And these 2 parts were missing...probably somewhere inside my door.

img8700.jpg

Right, so you need to establish what parts you need to replace, and order them from VW, get a repair kit off ebay or get a second hand lock off the same year Polo as you own.

To remove the lock barrel from the handle, insert the key, and turn until you can pull it out of the handle, you will see 2 little tabs once it is lined up. Remove the sleeve from inside the locking barrel seating area as shown-

img8703c.jpg

Give everything a good cleanup, remove any dirt and grease, then reapply grease to the locking barrel and the sleeve pictured above.

Now re-insert the sleeve into the door handle lining the little notch up, as shown below-

img8705.jpg

Next, replace the lock barrel into the sleeve in the handle- line up the tabs so that the lock barrel slides through the top of the sleeve, as shown in the picture below. You need to line it up with the red line-

img8707f.jpg

Then turn 90degrees as pictured-

img8708z.jpg

Next you need to place this part so that the notches in the bottom of it, line up with the raised part of the lock barrel-

img8709p.jpg

And line the top of it up with all the raised parts as shown, It should follow the red line-

img8713n.jpg

Next place this part ontop of everything on the lock barrel, it only fits one way, so you can't fuck it up, although it is abit tight to get it on-

img8698q.jpg

And place the spring into the whole assembly, with one of the tangs twisted towards against the top of the lock.

img8714m.jpg

Then place the top tang of the spring inside the the part you have just placed on top Like so. (ignore the part underneath the spring, I put it in the wrong way in this photo)-

img8711r.jpg

Next place the paddle mechanism ontop of this, and line all the slots up, it only fits on one way. You might have to be quick with this part so the spring doesn't pop out.

img8712.jpg

You need the last part you will be left with to slide onto the bottom of the paddle mechanism to hold it all together. You need to be pushing down on the paddle to do this, It should now look like this-

img8715f.jpg

Thats it, finished!

To replace the door handle, slot the front of the handle into the front slot first, and push forward, then slide the rear part in. Then slide the whole arrangement back, replace the screw and test out to make sure it works!

If anything else needs explaining, I will try to explain to the best of my ability!

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Nice walkthrough mate but people with Dial Up might have a baby when their net strggles to open this thread, anyway you could make em smaller? haha

Good work though :)

Well, I thaught I would upload them full size, in-case anyone needs to see a bigger picture. I ain't uploading them all again in a smaller size!

People with 56k shouldn't be using the net lol! Still living in a cave as well?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just the guide I need! :-D Superb.

One question at this stage.. how much did the spare parts cost? I don't suppose you've got part numbers? I've got no idea what to ask VW for!

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers. If you can get a copy of a Microfiche of the door mechanism, I can tell you which parts you will need and the part numbers.

I just bought a secondhand door handle off of the for sale section on this forum, and made sure it came with the locking mechanism and key, cost me £5.

Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers. If you can get a copy of a Microfiche of the door mechanism, I can tell you which parts you will need and the part numbers.

I just bought a secondhand door handle off of the for sale section on this forum, and made sure it came with the locking mechanism and key, cost me £5.

That'd be great, thanks! That will allow me to give VW a call and find out how much it costs.

Thanks again.

Simon.

Yeh, you have to find a copy of the microfiche though, I don't have the time to go hunting for one, or someone else off the forums might know the part numbers. Alternatively, take the door lock out, and take it to VW and they can get the parts for you.

I've got the part numbers on an invoice from VW somewhere at home. I'll try and dig them out later for you.

Much appreciated because I don't know what a microfiche is!

Thanks.

Good guide, this is a ball-ache of a job even when you know what you're doing.

This guide should make it ten times easier for all.

I didn't really read it all in detail, but did you mention wearing safety goggles? I wore a pair when doing mine as I was bitchin' paranoid about that spring flinging in my face, might just be me though.. :lol:

Anyways, nice job! :thumbsup:

These are the part numbers on the my invoice.

V6K4 837 223 A - N/STK Excentric - £1.77

V6N0 837 634 - C2D3 Mounting -£2.58

V6N0 837 229 A - C5C2 Spring - £1.53

V6N0 37 238 C - SB1D4 Carrier - £2.10

V6N0 837 313 - C5C2 Washer - £1.72

£9.70

Edited by softscoop

Ended up barely needing this guide! I took my handle out and all that was broken was the paddle looking part. It's different to the one in this guide. The one I have was attached by a small hook. The replacement handle I got from the scrappy just happened to be the same (Got it before I knew what mine looked like) so it's all fixed.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome guide! However I followed this spot on and my locks really stiff, it works, but when you turn the key, which takes a bit off effort, the key doesn't spring back. Any ideas why this might be? Again wicked guide really saved me today cheers!

really good guide..

i have a 98 polo 3 dr with the driver side barrel costantly rotating and coming out the hole when the keys inserted .. will the ebay repair kit work for that or do i need different parts?

and also my passenger side started acting wierd jus yesterday.. when turning the key in the barrel to the unlock the position ( to the left) it doesnt do anything.. but when springing back to the center the central locking kicks in and locks all the doors... will this kit work for that or is that a different problem?

i am really desperate rite now to find solution as i cant get to petrol cap without the central locking unlocking it :( :( :(

thank you for any suggestions

• 2 months later...
Guest mervin

Hi

most likely i will get slated for not introducing me self in the proper area

just followed this it was a help as my son dismantled the lock onmy daughters ibiza abd ugggered off back to uni beforethe parts came, anyhow there is a flaw in this, as louder vision i found the lock not returning and stiff,

i would take a picture to explain how to do it right but it is not possible as both hands are needed to put the spring in and no one else can take a pic as youneed to hold the spring as you put the paddle back on,

but the both ends of the spring need to go down in the castle piece, in this pic the castle piece is 180 dgrees out, so turn it around,

img8711r.jpg

with the handle face down on a hard surface put something under the lock to stop it dropping down and allowing the castle piece to turn, then get both tangs of the spring into the castle piece widest opening, not easy i tell you, long nosed pliers and a small screwdriver help, i had several attempts before it worked, the spring tends to get caught in the holder clip slot which does not help, right now too reassemble the car

Edited by mervin

• 9 months later...

there are 2 diff types of locks for a 6n, i found this when getting one from a scrappy for my mums car, but good guide, useful as it can be confusing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

just used this as a guide, mine was slightly different, but still,

saved me a fortune in garage fees, 8-)

Many thanks. I dont look a dork now walking round my car to unlock it :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great post! I was swearing so much trying to get that spring in, great details pics btw! Took me about 2 hours yesterday to try sort it, gave up, then read your post and tried again today...Yes you need flat head screwdrived to hold the spring down and thin pliers to pull spring round and pop it in that slot...I paid £15 + VAT for door handle with barrel, was I ripped off, seen on her someone got one for £5? So got two red handles if anyone wants one, few parts left over...Spade, locking "U" bit and spring...Germans make it so easy for us don't they? Cheers! :-) P.S. Oh yeah good point about putting something underneath lock, was looking for a cork, but used something else....

Hi

most likely i will get slated for not introducing me self in the proper area

just followed this it was a help as my son dismantled the lock onmy daughters ibiza abd ugggered off back to uni beforethe parts came, anyhow there is a flaw in this, as louder vision i found the lock not returning and stiff,

i would take a picture to explain how to do it right but it is not possible as both hands are needed to put the spring in and no one else can take a pic as youneed to hold the spring as you put the paddle back on,

but the both ends of the spring need to go down in the castle piece, in this pic the castle piece is 180 dgrees out, so turn it around,

img8711r.jpg

with the handle face down on a hard surface put something under the lock to stop it dropping down and allowing the castle piece to turn, then get both tangs of the spring into the castle piece widest opening, not easy i tell you, long nosed pliers and a small screwdriver help, i had several attempts before it worked, the spring tends to get caught in the holder clip slot which does not help, right now too reassemble the car

• 2 months later...

I have pare parts if anyone wants them, will let you know what I have and you name your price....btw one of my narrels freezing up again, did give it some oil, what's best stuff?