Fixed Speed Cameras

Yeti

Firstly, don't speed, it's illegal.

There are three main types of speed camera in use in the UK:

- Gatso (instant speed camera)

- Truvelo (instant speed camera)

- Specs (average speed cameras)

gatso_image_1.jpg

Recongnisable by their square lenses, Gatso's are the oldest form of instant speed camera in use. They use radar to measure the speed of large moving objects (like cars), then photograph them using a film camera mechanism as they cross a grid painted on the road (once on entry, and again after a measured period of time). The grid shows distance, the camera flashes are a definition of time, speed = distance/time. The flash is visible white, and needs to flash with each photo, ie, twice to record the speed of a vehicle.

Gatso's aren't the most reliable peices of equipment, for this reason they are only approved by the home office for measureing speed of vehicles driving away from the lense. When the film has run out, it needs to be changed by human. Gatso's are known to flash randomly when a driver isn't speeding, and when the film is all used up.

Truvelo1.jpg

Truvelo's are a more advanced form of camera. Easily differentiated from Gatso's by their round lenses. Sensors in the road measure an oncoming vehicle's speed, the digital camera inside records the vehicle's progression over 3 lines, and the speed is calculated as per a gatso.

Truvelo's are home office approved for use on oncoming vehicles only, so are able to record a vehicle's appearance, registration, and the face of the driver (unless it's a speeding motorbike 8-)). The camera works on the infrared scale, so does not need a visible flash to work either by day or night (some people have reported being able to see a purple flash).

3newspeedcameras_2.jpg

SPECS cameras measure a vehicle's average speed over a fixed distance, so are widely used in roadworks, or where a fast road speed limit is reduced, eg through a village. The first camera takes a picture of a car as it approaches. A fixed distance (normally, but not always a multiple of miles) down the road, a second camera does the same when the vehicle reaches it. The numberplate is read instantly using optical character recognition (OCR), and the time taken to travel the distance is used to calculate the vehicle's average speed over the distance travelled.

A popular myth says that where specs cameras are used on a multi-lane road, if you change lanes between cameras, they cannot be used to prosecute. While I know a lot of wagon drivers do this, I have seen no substantiation of this.

Trafficmaster cameras (can't find a pic)

These are either blue cameras on a pole at the side of the road, or black box-like CCTV cameras mounted on bridges, eg on motorways. These are not speed cameras, They're used to provide traffic flow information to Trafficmaster subscribers.

More reading: http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/

• Like 1

Cymro

Good info there. Those Truvelo's do give off a purple flash and is normally more visible to the car going away from it than the one actually getting caught.

Theres also a lot of info here on new types such as the Monitron etc: http://www.speedcam.co.uk/welcome.htm

SIMON-POLO

there are thousands of gatso's where i live.. theres about 15 just on a stretch of the a34.

but dont recall seein the rounder ones.. n not sure if i seen the other ones either.. unless they're just hidden or un noticable. I've seen similar ones on the bridges over duel carridgeways. thats bout it. the sooner they're gone the better.

more money than they're worth

xb0vv

what about these?

Vandal_proof_speed_camera.jpg

neil_dubgt

i saw one of these in bristol, there high up, you could go past one without noticing it!

Guest The Underdog

Tbh a good go with an angle grinder and I don't think the camera would be too cocky! If not there is spraying the lense, putting something right infront of it, set it on fire... the possibilities are endless :).

Cutmore

Hmm.. Underdog is probably in jail now for his above post :lol:

i found it interesting that those Truvelos record your face, i may have signalled at one or two while driving in road works doing about 3 MPH!

Tris
i may have signalled at one or two while driving in road works doing about 3 MPH!

Just a friendly wave? :lol:

Guest The Underdog
Hmm.. Underdog is probably in jail now for his above post :lol:

i found it interesting that those Truvelos record your face, i may have signalled at one or two while driving in road works doing about 3 MPH!

Lmfao, nah I not got no speeding tickets :). There is still time though...

grungeisdead

sticky me please

Bradley

Good post,as mentioned by another member the Truvelo cameras do indeed give off a purple flash.

The Flash is typically purple as its projected through an Infra red filter,and secondly it flashes to capture the colour of the car as this is not possible without a flash despite the camera using infra red technology.

memsis

this may or not be relevant but i feel its worth a mention.

if you get pinged by a speed camera check your local police website to make sure that its registered (all registered cameras must legally list their locations). i dont know about the mainland but here in Belfast there are (or were) 2 or 3 cameras that were dotted around that were fixed but werent registered. this meant that if you got caught by one of them, and contested that it wasnt registered you could get away with it, but if you didnt contest it, theyd book you anyway. its apparently legal to do this saves the police paying the fees to get one placed on the register.

best just to double check if you get caught

oli4952

M4 south wales is a prime culprit for average speed cameras from the coldra to newport junction -- i travelled this way every day for a year (from bristol to cardiff) in various different cars/vans always kept it at 52 mph in the work car then started using my own car 55-60 not one flash from camera or letter on my doorstep was told you can do the max speed limit (50) and for any speedo irregularity's 2% and 2 mph which in my reckoning your allowed to do 53mph anybody agree ??

polo45
M4 south wales is a prime culprit for average speed cameras from the coldra to newport junction -- i travelled this way every day for a year (from bristol to cardiff) in various different cars/vans always kept it at 52 mph in the work car then started using my own car 55-60 not one flash from camera or letter on my doorstep was told you can do the max speed limit (50) and for any speedo irregularity's 2% and 2 mph which in my reckoning your allowed to do 53mph anybody agree ??

no!

how do you know if your speedo is over reading?

also you are using your margin up so if you 'drift' up a couple of mph without noticing you'll be speeding and may get a fine.

is 3mph worth £60 and 3 points.

nige8021

A speedo only has to be accurate to be within 10% at 30MPH ie +/- 3MPH So the only realy accurate way to measure your speed is with a calibrated speedo for the tyre size & profile and measured off a non driven wheel to eliminate wheel spin!!

lukeh

bristols got like 4 coming down a steep hill all about 25 yards apart :L