Sign in to follow this  
LozVW

Noise from wheel area?

LozVW

Strange one, had awful noise coming from right front wheel last week. Took to my local mechanic who said the brake discs had bit of a shoulers so i had them replaced with the pads.

Noise i thought gone, next day 5 miles on my way to play golf and noise retured, admit lower volume.

Returned back to the local mechanic who says he could not make it do the noise.

Any common suggestions? Its like a ticking noise, hard to explain.

My next plan is calliper or bearings....... please advise if I'm in the wrong direction.

chicken6n2

wheel bearing or drive shaft?

cushman89

Like a squeaking rubbing sound mate

LozVW

Yes , kinda that sound, like rubbing, but there is nothing that seems to be rubbing.

mattywoodz

Yes , kinda that sound, like rubbing, but there is nothing that seems to be rubbing.

If it a wheel baring mate it will be like a drone that gets louder the faster you go. one way to check it is to jack up that side of the car and wobble the wheel back and forth, if it is a wheel baring there should be play there mate.

Another idea mate. on my mates mk4 golf his break pad was just toughing the wheel mate that made that sort of noise just check to see it dosent foul mate.

Nice to see a fellow dubber who plays golf mate. lol

Edited by mattywoodz

evabot59

Could be a CV joint.

Yellowdiablo

Wheel balancing weight fouling a caliper?

LozVW

I'm going crazy guys!

So far i have replaced:

Brake Discs

Brake Pads

Front driver side bearing

STILL got the noise, driving me nuts. Every independant I've been too seems to be unsure of the problem. A tuner pointed to the driveshaft being the problem but not 100%, and I dont want blow £320! on a hunch.

Need advise please. The only tell tail visual is the wheel is getting really coked with brake dust, but the discs and pads are fine !

LozVW

UPDATE!

Seems to be very odd now, the car makes a rubbing/knocking noise on left hand bends/corners - but not right

Also makes the rubbing/squeeking noise when going in straight line. Needs time before it does both of these, not always on startup and first driving off!

ANYONE ABLE TO HELP?????????

please :)

clarkson20

the rubbing noise mate could be the heat sheild behind i all when u have come to change discs and pads, u could have knocked it, i had the same rubbing problem, i was stummped, i put the front on axel stands with the wheels off got some one to put it in gear and get the wheels spinning and noticed the heatshield was rubbin the disc, the knocking noise turning is probably your cv joint pal

LozVW

Looks like i have found the problem, something i thought never possible! The split rims bolts were working loose!!!!!! All torqued up and the sound seems to have gone.

phillll

my car has been doing this as well, you cant here the noise when the windows up though

LozVW
my car has been doing this as well, you cant here the noise when the windows up though

first off, check your wheels if they are split rims!

henrypowell666

I think i have this noise as well on the left front.....

Its fine on the straights, and corners, but if i full lock it, or I'm on a slight incline/decline its loud...Very loud! also i noticed if i kick the front wheel there seems to be something metel rattling in there?

I've had wishbones changed but theres no difference, So I'm thinking its a wheel bearing, but i swear a wheel bearing makes a knocking noise?

blackthorn

yeah I've got it to... replaced the cv boot one day and it went away... was like sound (y) but then i upgraded to g60 brakes a month later and replaced my abs ring and the noise came back so I'm gathering its the wheel bearing or the bearings on the drive shaft! hmm

Guest bigwinny88

Its fine on the straights, and corners, but if i full lock it, or I'm on a slight incline/decline its loud...Very loud! also i noticed if i kick the front wheel there seems to be something metel rattling in there?

I've had wishbones changed but theres no difference, So I'm thinking its a wheel bearing, but i swear a wheel bearing makes a knocking noise?

Most probably an outer cv joint from what your saying, replaced loads o them on various cars, n the diagnostic is the same, full lock n then you get the noise, almost like a clicking noise???

henrypowell666

Most probably an outer cv joint from what your saying, replaced loads o them on various cars, n the diagnostic is the same, full lock n then you get the noise, almost like a clicking noise???

actually its a really loud distorted low scratching i guess is the best way of describing it :?

Really furocious noise

Guest green polo 6N

check your brake cover when they fix things it myt be 2 close to the wheel just push it out abit as mine did this try it and let me no.

j-low

i once had this, changed a rear wheel bearing, noise went away

now its back so probably a differnet bearing!

henrypowell666

I just got told to see if theres any play in the CV joints... it could be aparebtly that

vezerszunyog

Hello guys

Just a quick heads about this topic.

I had the same squeaking noise was coming from front end right side wheel.

Got louder when I tirned the steering wheel into til onto left or right.

In my case the problem was.

The paint is peeling off of theese Polo GTi brake calipers.

Which was exactly the issue on my Polo . as the brake caliper paint was peeling of on the inner side between the brake disc and the calipper.

I did go between with a tiny type of wallpaper knife and scratched it off.

Squeeking noise gone as it is not touching the brake disc any more.

Worth checking it as it could save you at least £50 on garage inspection and they would probably do the same cleaning job on your calippers.

Thanks for reading this