Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

6n temperature light constantly flashing

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me,

my temperature light on my dashboard has been flashing for about a year now, I've taken it to a mechanic who had a quick look and couldnt find anything wrong with it, I've also had it serviced twice while its been on and nothing out of the ordinary has been found.

it first started in winter about a year ago and i would have to turn the car on and off about 3 or 4 times for the light to go off and it would never go off by itself , i would then drive somewhere, turn it off and then when i went to drive it again later i would have to do all that again.

I've got enough water and oil and coolant and stuff and the needle on the gage never goes up so its not overheating that I'm aware of.

when i took it to the mechanic as i mentioned earlier he said he put a wire 'back in place', i drove it away and the light didnt come on for the first time in ages but when i went to drive it again later in the day it came back on and has been on since.

i think its just a sensor problem but i have no idea where to start to fix this?

any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kerrie91

• nige8021

• Jonny23

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

There is a low level sensor in the coolant expansion bottle, if this fails it will bring on the flashing water temp light

• 2 weeks later...

the sensor in the expansion tank can get corroded over time and sometimes throws the sensor off into thinking there is no coolant in there. best bet is to replace the expansion tank, i think there about £11 genuine and takes 10 mins to change.