dubownerbilco

Definitive mk2/3 rear disc conversion guide

prankstar2003

Done already. These were the old set

01mlacey

I'm struggling to find a guide for rebuilding mk2 golf gti rear calipers that i have for my rear disc conversion

any help would be much apreciated

I've sourced the kit to do so just want pointing in the right direction for do's and dont's

thanks.

prankstar2003

Just seen this. How did you get on? Rebuilding really is a piece of piss.

Jaco2a

i had alot of travel when i first did my conversion turned out that alloy calipers dont like the bleed nipple being cracked alot and one was weeping

dart_strife

a friend of mine has a full rear beam off a mk2 golf, with corrado g60 callipers and carriers on it. iff i take everything off this am i good to go on my mk2f ?

mechmatthews

What actually makes it so difficult to convert the master cylinder to servo may i ask?

....waits to get mauled...

runforrestrun

Are we all using back plates from a mk2 golf on this setup? Do they fit ok?

1vw2many

So how much would this set up cost roughly ?

AN1MK4

Probably been mention before but I can be bothered going through all messages.

So I've got a conversion from scrappy with all new parts for £40 but don't know about handbrake cable and brake pipes, what should I use? I've got polo 6n.

Thanks

Alex

m3z2oo4

Does anyone know if mk3 golf vr6 stub axels would work? They seem to look the same in photos. Thanks.

dubownerbilco

Does anyone know if mk3 golf vr6 stub axels would work? They seem to look the same in photos. Thanks.

probably too late now but yes they would be fine :)

JamieSher

does anybody have a reg for a mk 2 golf that i can use to order the discs and wheel bearings

kwijibo_coupe

A Google image search should bring up something.

However you may find eBay to be cheaper, the likes of ECP and GSF seem to be very expensive when it comes to brake discs and charge per disc...

VolksKid83

Gentlemen i have a question regarding the Bias Valve!

My cars a GT converted CL, so no Bias valve, the only GT parts missing to make it complete are the Bias Valve and the Rear beam, i have a GT rear beam sat in the shed which has the full disc conversion already fitted, it just needs reconditioning, but i have no Bias valve here. I have already fitted a 22mm master cylinder.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but theres two options for the bias valve.

Option 1 - Fit a used original GT/G40 bias valve, probably the proper way to do it but these are getting thin on the ground and are 25 years old now!

Option 2 - Fit one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCR-Brake-bias-proportion-valve-hydraulic-screw-type-adjustment-/222099545892?hash=item33b62a1f24:g:pIgAAOSwiYFXIGMB

Mount that on the bulkhead in the single brake pipe to the rear, my favored solution but how do i adjust this correctly from scratch?

harris.racing

I recently did a rear disc conversion on my car, using the following parts:

• 6n2 GTI rear stub axles
  • 6n2 GTI rear calipers & anchor brackets
  • 6n2 GTI drive flanges/wheel bearings
  • 6n2 GTI rear discs/pads
  • 6n2 GTI rear caliper flexi hoses
  • Mk2f handbrake cables
  • Handbrake cable spacers as per Kiz's drawing in this thread

Few notes:

I went with 6n2 stuff as it eliminates having a tapered wheel bearing setup. A 6n2 uses a drive flange which comes with the bearing, and then you just torque up a large hub nut like on the front. This is less maintenance than tapered bearings & hopefully will offer more camber/toe stiffness as a setup.

With regards to the handbrake cable, I machined some spacers like Kiz's drawing in this thread, however they needed to be shorter (think was 10-15mm shorter), and had to flip the brackets around on the rear beam (so they eyelet the cable goes through is BEHIND the beam, not in front like standard).

The 6n2 caliper flexi hoses are a short flexi, then have a long shaped piece of hard pipe, I shortened and reshaped this to match up to the standard Mk2f flexi from the beam to the body. I will be getting some custom made flexi's I think as reshaping a pipe thats already been formed isnt ideal. 

I have fitted a bias valve too, which IMO is definitely needed. When I first fitted the brakes, I set it about half way in its adjustment range, and it would still easily lock the rear before the front, which is not ideal. Although if you do some research you'll discover a lot of rear calipers of this era/fitment will have different piston size..its probably best to try and use the smallest piston size you can find, dependant on what size brakes you have upfront to maintain a good brake bias/distribution.

I spent a fair bit as bought the best quality bearings etc I could find, and bias valve, had calipers rebuilt etc. But it looks a lot better, less maintenance and added gains of better stiffness in the bearings/hub assembly. 

Hope this helps!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.