Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Battery Drain problem 9n 1.2 E polo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Bennett

• Pete1

• chelseaash

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I purchase new new,probably cost more than car worth,located 1 from similar model,just waiting confirmation on exactl spec  Thank you for all the info it's been so helpful, hopefully

6Q1937049D

Mark Bennett

Mine looks identical to the other photo,must be a common weak spot,I take it,it's a straight unit swap over to rectify issue 

Should be, but I would have a quick look at that area on any secondhand one you acquire before fitting it.

You may need to code a.n. other unit with VCDS unless it came from a car with all the same equipment options.

When you say new unit, are you thinking brand new? Don't think you'll like the pricetag.

You can get a freeware version of VCDS for a laptop that when connected to the car by a suitable cable (<£20) can read the coding of the present unit. Swap the replacement  unit in and see if the coding is the same or not. If it doesn't match you could either register the VCDS software (99USD) or get another member with a registered or full version of it to pop the correct code in.

Of course an autospark could probably do this for you but not sure what they'd charge.

Simplest approach: Get a unit with exactly the same part number, off a car as similar in spec as poss to yours,  fit it, and see if everything works as expected. If it does, job done.

Mark Bennett

No way would I purchase new new,probably cost more than car worth,located 1 from similar model,just waiting confirmation on exactl spec 

Thank you for all the info it's been so helpful, hopefully I can put this to bed by end of week 

• Like 1

This page shows you the way the coding works. You just add up all the numbers corresponding to the various features and get a total that uniquely specifies the combination of features for any given car: 

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Polo_(9N)_Central_Electronics#Coding

Edited by Pete1
Mark Bennett

No way would I purchase new new,probably cost more than car worth,located 1 from similar model,just waiting confirmation on exactl spec 

Thank you for all the info it's been so helpful, hopefully I can put this to bed by end of week 

Mark Bennett

I don't suppose you remember how people sourced a replacement unit,tried several breakers and all their units are showing same fault,seems a lot more common than I realised 

I had a spare one kicking about that I gave the fella in the other thread, sounds like I should've hung onto it!  

I wonder if it's a fault that's consequential on something else wearing out, like the wiper motor, which might then generate bigger spikes in the system at switch on or switch off?

I'm aware of people having problems with the wipers that turn out to be the relay that controls them on that board, but this one is newish one on me.

So are you physically visiting breakers yards and seeing these or getting them to look inside the units or send you photos?

Mark Bennett

No,I'm messaging breakers via ebay etc,asking them to open unit to check around XP5 connector,sent a photo of my scorched unit so they know what to look for,but so far 4 have reported there's look exactly the same,so I'm wondering if the cars are so old they all have the same issue,I will continue my search or perhaps just wire in a charger unit to keep battery topped up 

I might have to buy up one or two more spares, and see if I can work out how to repair this damage.

What's the part number of the one in your car?

Mark Bennett

6Q937049D, my nephew said the same,he's a bit of a electronics wizz kid.

I think if you could repair the units,you could be onto a winner,I know of 1 other suffering the same issue locally,there's enough mk4/5 still running about to make it worthwhile 

nige8021
1 hour ago, Mark Bennett said:

No,I'm messaging breakers via ebay etc,asking them to open unit to check around XP5 connector,sent a photo of my scorched unit so they know what to look for,

I doubt if they are even bothering to look, just saying it's the same as yours saves them getting hastle from PayPal when you lodge a claim for faulty item, Try Stevens VW breakers in Essex they are normally very good

2 hours ago, Mark Bennett said:

6Q1937049D

You might be in luck.  Just found one with that number in a drawer. Some sort of swap arrangement could work if you're interested? Send me a PM to discuss.