Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

1.4 auto gearbox oil level

I've got a 1.4 1999 auto and want to check the transmission fluid level but cant find a filler cap or level inspection cap on the side of the g/box any ideas

or if someone local to fareham wants to give me a hand to check it il be very appreciative

cheers

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nige8021

• mondaay

• spesh

• dixy

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

The ATF temperature must not be more than approx. 30 °C at start of test.

‒ Bring ATF to test temperature.

Test temperature: 35 °C to 45 °C

‒ → Remove ATF level plug from the oil pan (arrow).

The ATF present in the overflow pipe runs out.

ATF drips out of drilling:

ATF need not be topped up.

‒ Fit new seal to plug and tighten to 15 Nm. Herewith is the ATF check completed.

If only the ATF present in the overflow pipe runs out of drilling:

Replenishing ATF

‒ Lever off plug securing cap -arrow- with a screwdriver. When doing this the cap locking device will be damaged, therefore always renew cap.

‒ → Pull plug out of filler pipe.

On some gearboxes a cap with a spring retainer is installed. This cap can be used again.

‒ → Fill with ATF using V.A.G 1924, until ATF runs out of level hole -arrow-.

Warning!

If the ATF level is too high or too low it will adversely affect the operation of the gearbox.

‒ → Fit new seal to level plug -arrow 1- and tighten to 15 Nm.

‒ Fit sealing plug on filler pipe until the spring retainer lock locates, or

‒ Fit plug on filler pipe and secure with a new cap -arrow 2-.

‒ Lock cap.

Warning!

Always renew cap. The cap secures the plug.

thanks mate for that but its looks like il have to take it to a garage as i have no idea how to check the atf fluid temperature

nige8021
thanks mate for that but its looks like il have to take it to a garage as i have no idea how to check the atf fluid temperature

You can get the temp accurately if you have Vagcom but just run it around for 10 mins and you wont be far off

• 1 month later...
nige8021
any idea on part number for the filler cap replacement?

18) 001321359 oil sump

19) N 90414201 plug with seal M10X1 /

20) N 0138115 seal A10X13,5 /

21) 001321363 oil pipe 29,2MM /

22) 001321367 magnet

23) N 10156305 hexagon head bolt c/w shoulder M6X12 /

24 D 176404A2 silicone sealant 93G /

25) 001321407 oil filler pipe

26) 01M321432A plug

26A) 01M321435B cap

27) 001321419A round seal 8,8X1,9 /

Edited by nige8021

An I right in saying that these gearboxes have a filter in the sump? If so it would be a good idea to change it if your changing the ATF. Usually makes a huge difference.

HTH

nige8021
An I right in saying that these gearboxes have a filter in the sump? If so it would be a good idea to change it if your changing the ATF. Usually makes a huge difference.

HTH

#15 is the only thing closest to a filter listed

15) 001325429 oil strainer

It could very well be that, oil strainer sounds about right. To change it you will have to drop all the old fluid out then remove the sump, then unbolt the filter/strainer and refit the new one. when you buy the filter/strainer it should come with a new gasket. Clean the two surfaces and put on the new gasket, refit the sump and then fill with fresh fluid.

• 2 months later...