6n1, Worth 'Upgrading' from the 180mm to 200mm drums?

pontiff

Hi all,

Here in Australia we only got 1 model of 6n1 polo (AEE 1.6 75hp) there the only options that we could choose were pretty much the colour. From what I can tell they got the 180mm drums but at some stage they released a 'trek' model which came with a mountain bike and roof racks, but it would also seem that it came with the 200mm drums and the roller wheel bearings as opposed to the tapered or conical (whatever you call it) ones that normal 6n1's got.

One of the cars that I am wrecking at the moment has these larger 200mm drums on it and I was wondering...

Is it worth changing my daily driver which has 180mm's over to these 200mm's (assuming they are in good condition etc etc)? Do/Did they make any real difference to the braking as we all know the 6n1 oem braking performance is not brilliant.

TIA

Edited by pontiff

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pontiff

• Knotty123

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be doing this, they dont make a huge difference when braking! I'm only doing it as they're slightly wider so they space out the rear wheels a bit more

i'll be doing this, they dont make a huge difference when braking! I'm only doing it as they're slightly wider so they space out the rear wheels a bit more

Yeah I know what u mean.. The other reason to be honest is that in Australia the drums are stupidly expensive and it's 'nearly' worth getting them in the UK and wear the postage charge, so I have a set I might use so just checking if its worth the hassle...

The precious owner went over something and both handbrake cables were seized so they wore out the drums and shoes on one side so while one side is adjusted about 2/3'rds and the shoes skim the drums, the left side is at full adjustment and only barely skims. I have used the trick of adjusting the handbrake to grab on 1 click but I still want to alleviate the issue proper if possible :)... Hence the initial post.