Pepy

Battered 9n

Pepy

So I'v been snooping around on here for a while, and been making plans for my polo for around the same time (coincidence? :P). Finally decided that maybe starting a build thread would get me motivated!

The car:

54 plate 9n twist edition in anthracite grey (according to the stealer anyway)

1.2 engine, all original and standard throughout when bought, no modifications in last 3 years but now I'm in the world of work that's changing!

CEB6E30B-163B-4057-AEB0-21484A43242D_zps

6520DA0F-0746-4C0C-818F-33C960825BAE_zps

6a10874e-8f53-4659-b15b-1e0e92549dbd_zps

However some work needs doing first, shes done 60k hard miles since I got her, shes an old lady now, needs some TLC ;)

Replace O/S/F wing due to rust

Touch up paint chips on bonnet

Re-furbish alloys

Paintwork refreshed/detailed

Planned mods:

LED footwell lights

New head unit Sony WX-GT90BT fitted

Re-paint/wrap console + trim

Colour code bumpers

Roof spoiler

Wind deflectors

Remote locking (possible remote start)

Edited by Pepy

Pepy

(not sure if anyone is reading this but ah well :P )

So after an expensive few weeks with the car (2 new tires, obliterated front N/S spring) started rolling around to some upgrades.

First step, new head unit. I chose the Sony because I'm not a fan of single din stereos, just feels like something is missing from the dash for me. Bullet ariel as well because I feel it improves the lines of the car not having a massive whip on the top.

2FBF45AA-F163-414F-9CF0-02DA7B68C065_zps

Edited by Pepy

Naz

I'm reading it. Keep up the good work.

Looking to get myself a polo or lupo soon, to do up. Mid life crisis has just hit me at 42.

Edited by Naz

Pepy

So, question time:

I want to change the colour of the cabin trim, basically the center console, down to the ash tray and then back to the center cup holders behind the handbrake. I have a few ideas lined up, wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

-Remove trim, sand back, paint, seal and re-fit. This would be time consuming and put the car off the road for a least a few days while sanding, painting etc occurs. Sadly the car is used daily (its normally a VERY dirty dub ;) ) so although possible, not sure I want to drive around with the trim gone.

-Buy second hand trim parts, sand spray etc, swap when complete.

-Remove trim, use foliatec wheel film to cover, refit in one day. The bonus here is if I want a colour change, or back to factory, just peels off. Down side is as a film, likely to split, tear etc with usage and also during refitting (unless someone who has used it can tell me otherwise?) plus its around £30 a can and this is a budget make over haha

- Buy second hand parts and dye the plastic with other foliatec products. Bonus, permanent colour for the trim, could be done in a day with the factory trim still around for a change is ever needed. Downside, storing the original parts.

Any thoughts?

P

VdoubleU

Just take it out and paint it. Or vinyl wrap it. I've drove around with half the dashboard missing before doesn't make a difference.

Pepy

I hadn't thought about warping, think thats best way forward! Watch this space ;)

loudandproud

any updates on this? Nice double din unit that, looks like it was meant to be there from the factory

Pepy

Got some parcels on the way :spiteful: Currently reading about wiring and splicing/tapping etc for LEDs (learning pretty much EVERYTHING as I go). Current thought is to tap the power wire from the interior light, so the LEDs will act the same as that with doors open/closed etc. Another option I have considered is to solder the wires for the LEDs directly onto the bulb holders for the interior bulb, again to act in unison. Has anyone with more knowledge got any advice?

Glad you like the stereo, have had a few people say it looks standard spec haha.

Its a slow project due to lack of funds but new job applied for so fingers crossed!

loudandproud

Got some parcels on the way :spiteful: Currently reading about wiring and splicing/tapping etc for LEDs (learning pretty much EVERYTHING as I go). Current thought is to tap the power wire from the interior light, so the LEDs will act the same as that with doors open/closed etc. Another option I have considered is to solder the wires for the LEDs directly onto the bulb holders for the interior bulb, again to act in unison. Has anyone with more knowledge got any advice?

Glad you like the stereo, have had a few people say it looks standard spec haha.

Its a slow project due to lack of funds but new job applied for so fingers crossed!

Yeah I like how the stereo looks OEM, its the best way in my opinion, I know the lack of funds feeling bro, I've had mine since '08.. its been slow progress

As for advice me and some others set up Club 9n/3 on Facebook, I hate to advertise it here as if it weren't for clubpolo we would never have had the idea. But look us up at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/poloappreciation9n.3

There are over 700 9n and 9n3 owners there; someone will be able to help you!

Pepy

Cheers mate, will deffo look up. Today ripped boot apart to change all the dead LEDs in my high level brake light, bit of a pain to do, however can't stand dead lights!

Found a brand new, original Vortex spoiler for £45plus postage. Anyone fitted one? Easy/hard?

Pepy

Update - Found the secret swimming pool!

Went to grap some bits from the boot today and found the spare wheel well with about 2 inches of water inside. Left hand side of the boot carpet pretty wet as well. Going to strip it down tomorrow and see if I can find the cause, however suggestions are welcome!

shortier1919

Get a 3 door ;) Nah well there is obviously a leak somewhere if its small enough could just patch it up with a welder ?

Pepy

Haha until I get a proper job the polo stays, besides, I like four doors ;) Going to run it up the ramp next week or so and get a look (don't trust that flimsy looking jack in the tool box.)

In other news, had a bit of a U-turn on the interior. Was originally going for a bright matte colour on the console but thinking some carbon fiber wrap will blend with the outside colour a bit more.

Also, got a quote for a 20% tint, so could be happening reasonably soon. Mean time juggling the decision to spend on getting rust ground out, repaired, painted etc or get off in off the bay that could be bent from removal =/

Pepy

Few updates: with pay day around the corner I have a few plans, mainly maintaine though. Going to get her up on the ramp at my local and look for this hole in the boot, quick diagnostic to find the misfire (before I go changing all the coil packs/spark plugs).

Couple of sales on, looking at 9n3 tail lights at £31 each, some carbon wrap and some Audi TT pedals. Found a suprise grill as well but that will have to wait for my tax rebate :P

Edited by Pepy

Pepy

All modding is currently off, due to lack of funds, sadly the job I was going for fell through. :-( Shes cost me a fortune recently in repairs and general maintenance, each month the money I would set aside would have to go on something else. Starting to consider a move to something different due to all the mileage I manage to rack up (also likely to cost a lot less in garage bills!) However, all speculation at the moment, still got plans for this old girl if funds pick up, would like to see her do another 100,000 miles, preferably little lower, on Montreal's, with some nice ICE :tongue:

Pepy

Got bored of not doing anything to the old girl, ordered some carbon wrap, got wrapping! So far only got the door trims done, want to do the rear ones but weathers stopping me getting the door cards off! LEDs next on the list, nice and cheap haha!

614CF666-55CD-4606-AA18-0A4452F6B553_zps

0F3275F4-466A-4D1E-AA18-D3A9E9DDB65D_zps

Also, can you ever have too much chrome? The lower grills are photo-shopped for an idea of how they would look

10152818_10154015686540393_1982330718_n_

Edited by Pepy

Pepy

Although I'm sure no-one cares any more, for the sake of formality this thread is closed. The old girl started dying too often, and at one point cut out on an overtake of a lorry. While putting a nice brown pattern onto the seat and trousers and saying my goodbyes I decided a new motor was needed. So I went on the hunt for another VW. Sadly, shes not a polo, but she's bullet proof! On a wet and windy morning it was goodbye polo and hello mk4 GT TDI

b5fa8541-e27e-4b53-b2fc-06d93a1fd81b_zps

You can follow my build thread for this in the other cars section http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=334401

Edited by Pepy