Sign in to follow this  
ELAD

Engine rebuild

ELAD

Hi all,

I have a 1.3 6n I'm thinking of scrapping and want to keep the engine to put into my 1.0 coupe. When its out of the car i'm thinking about stripping it down and rebuilding it. I was just wondering whats the main components that you would change/upgrade?

Thanks

Elis

george_m3

this is a very vague question in my opinion. you should search and see what you want to do to it if you want to rebuild it. do you want to do the bare minimum as in take it apart and if components like piston rings, main bearing and big end bearings are in tolerance just put the thing back together? disadvantage of that being the engine may be worn and loose a small amount of horsepower not rev as smooth as it did brand new. or replace rings and bearings and freshen the engine up a bit. or you could get the engine re bored and buy oversized pistons this will get you closer to a as new engine. obviously gaskets, stretch bolts, o rings will be replaced whatsoever

in terms of upgrading again you should read up. there are a lot of things that can be done to these engines. cams, bike carbs, lightened flywheels. vernier pulleys, exahaust manifolds. also as your having your engine apart you have blueprinting that can be done, lightening of internal components and porting and polishing of heads.

paulspolo

rings, gaskets, stem seals, big ends, white metal bearings, hone the liners and clean all carbon of valves pistons etc that would be the simple things

steveo3002

rings, gaskets, stem seals, big ends, white metal bearings, hone the liners and clean all carbon of valves pistons etc that would be the simple things

+ valve guides maybe oil pump

will end up costing £££££ to do a half decent job