Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Polo harlequin! - Restoration's underway

VdoubleU

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VdoubleU

• thommass

• Dean

• apertures

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They've just rang my dad up and said it's out of paint and will be ready by tomorrow! So hopefully will pick it up tomorrow Very excited but very nervous at the same time! If it all looks good then

An update! Removed the old badges. They were looking absolutely rubbish. At this point we were very scared, especially about ruining the new 'Harlekin' badge. Both badges on VERY VERY happy!

Suppose it's time to update this.   Not much has happened really, it's just been tucked up in the garage. We've bought: a gearbox, clutch, wing, central locking pump and some new wipers.

Posted Images

Thank you! Still got a long way to go though.

Got my Dinitrol. Just need to wait until we move house so I have a garage to work in. Harlequin's not being used much at the moment but still fires up instantly after a few weeks of standing!

dinitrol.jpg

• 1 year later...
VdoubleU

Suppose it's time to update this.

Not much has happened really, it's just been tucked up in the garage. We've bought: a gearbox, clutch, wing, central locking pump and some new wipers.

At the start of the show season last year we had some touch ups done like the lacquer peal on top of the rear door and the wings.

The passenger side wing was quite rusty, so we knew it'd come back through, but it was in the body shop and they said they'd do it for the cost of the paint so why not :pardon:

It came out of hibernation for Ultimate Dubs

Harl1.jpg

harl8.jpg

harl2.jpg

harl9.jpg

harl3.jpg

This is the new wing we got. In fjord blue just like my first polo :sorry:

harl5.jpg

Most importantly, no rust! (the first pic is just a stone chip)

harl6.jpg

harl7.jpg

Got it all painted! Very nice and shiny!

harl4.jpg

Going to fit it this weekend. Was going to do it last weekend but with the nice weather I ended up drinking too much and being hungover sunday :-o

• Like 3
  • 8 months later...

brought this car on ebay from a dealer in Dundee but after a 8 hour travel on xmas eve , i didnt buy it , nothing to do with what the last owner had done but it still needs a load of work doing to it and it wouldnt start off the key every time  so beaware of this if it appears on ebay again , a it ill need a run 6-700 pounds spent on it to get it any where near right , 

• 6 months later...
mondeladas

Hard to see this days an Harlequin so neat and tidy like yours, I'm impressed !

Congrats, a real well done project. Love the car !

• 1 year later...

Well I sold it and now I've bought it back! Needs a bit of welding done because it was put on air 😩 But not long and it'll be back on the road and the restoration will continue 😁 Luckily the previous work I had done has held up well! Needs a machine polish to get it back up to scratch though. 

IMG-0294.jpg

Edited by VdoubleU
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...
VdoubleU

Okay, things have gotten out of hand.

I blame quarantine personally. 

I've decided to do a full rebuild (well as full as I can) on the Harlequin. I decided that I'm keeping it for life now (after buying it back once) so I may as well go the whole hog.

As a result, I've bought all new genuine VW panels (bonnet, wing, doors, boot). I am only missing one door (driver's side door) so if anyone has a new 6n door in their shed collecting dust give me a shout 😄

Now the Harlequin isn't that rusty but all panels have been painted a few times before with varying quality and products. Most panels have minor surface rust so I thought why not go all new? 

I also picked up an OEM radio. Now I couldn't live without bluetooth now. After searching for a bit I found this! An OEM radio with bluetooth retro fitted!! It cost the same price as a standard one from germany as well! Very pleased!

Updates will be slow due to quarantine. But I plan on painting it in sections. I'll get all red done then all purple and so on.

Interior wise it needs a few trim pieces replacing as they've cracked, passenger side seat needs refoaming as well. 

Welding - front chassis legs, boot floor needs entirely replacing (if you have one let me know).

93721146_243719876747062_8458578321536450560_n.jpg

93852480_233672847872450_1425842860673990656_n.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
VdoubleU
Posted (edited)

Well I've had a lot going on since I last updated this but I finally found the time to get it booked in and have the work done. Can happily say it's now fully MOTed, taxed and insured ready to enjoy! 

All work was carried out by DFTR Automotive in Dudley (near Merry Hill). This is the second car of mine they've done welding work on and they are exceptional. Very nice guys and their work speaks for itself.

It's had:

- New cat

- Oil + Filter change

- Auxiliary belt

- Front brake pads + discs

- All new brake pipes on the rear

- New ignition switch (cause of the starting issue mentioned by someone earlier on)

- New boot floor welded in

- Chassis notches welded over

- Repair in the rear inner arch

The car underneath is now completely solid and it drives faultlessly (famous last words). 

Plans for the near future are to paint the welding work body colour, new tyres (current ones are a bit old) and need to get my new wing resprayed and fitted. 

Boot before:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mocked up:

spacer.png

Welded up:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chassis notch before (still gutted that this could have been avoided!)

spacer.png

During/done:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Only have a before for the inner arch repair. They cut out the rust and made a repair panel, will get an after photo on the weekend:

spacer.png

Exhaust:

spacer.png

Also fitted the radio I bought ages ago. Bluetooth works really well and is easy to use once you've figured it out. Much nicer than some modern multicoloured thing (the irony 😅)

spacer.png

Edited by VdoubleU