Sign in to follow this  
jono1303

mk2f engine

jono1303

So my engine (1.3 carb) is getting on a bit now and is pretty slow to be fair so I was thinking of putting a new lump in it, but apart from a gt and a g40 what's my options? Is there anything other than a vw motor? Thanks in advance.

steveo3002

anything is possible with enough time and money , but generaly no you dont see many non small block vw conversions

jono1303

Hmm I had the idea of putting a cupra lump in it but haven't looked into it at all yet.

kizerfluid

If you want to stick 8v then golf mk3 1.4 abd engine is very good and will drop straight in. + you can use parts off your 1.3 engine on the abd as it is pritty much just a bored out version of the 1.3

You can also use the polo 6n aex engine loves high revs but you will need to mod the os engine mount and rerout coolent hoses + make space for the air intake or just stick a cone filter on instead

From what I have heard converting to 16v is a big job

jono1303

Hmm a golf sounds cool what about a different size mk3 engine? Did they do a 1.6? Or wouldn't that work? And would it be worth putting in a gt box first?

jono1303

Had a quick look and although it would be easy enough to get a golf engine, finding one with under 100k would be like finding rocking horse suit. So I was wondering if a 6n2 gti lump would fit? 1.6 about 100bhp.

jono1303

If not is the issue gonna be gearbox, mounts, electrics or space?

kizerfluid

From what I understand when vw made the polo mk1/mk2/mk2f/6n they built the engine then built the engine bay around it. Hence why the 1.3 aav lump alternator only has about 1" clearense from the bay.

At the end of the day you can get any engine to fit just if you have the money / tools and knolage needed. I know a 1.8 golf gti 8v engine will fit but you will need a subframe and need to do some major modding to get it in cause on standard mounts the sump will be on the floor. Also it makes the front end very heavy

I believe anything bigger then 1.4 and you will need a subframe and need to mod the bay. As the short stroke cross flow engines stopped at 1.4 and all the bigger engines are long stroke transflow engines.

There is a lot of 1.4 engines that will fit quite easy but I would suggest the 1.4 abd as it fits straight in can be turboed easy and set up with bike carbs. Along with that its a very tourquey reliable 1.4 and can be top end converted to a 1.6.

Your other options are find a 1.3 gt or g40 engine. Myself I have found lots of g40 engines but they all had high price tags and I have never found a gt engine.

jono1303

Wow that helped a lot. 1.4 abd it is then but are then any ancillary issues ie looms or ecu? Or is it a matter of as long as you get the one that was fitted to it then it will be fine? Electrics have never been my strong suit. Plus would you advise on swapping out the box for a better one? Nice one man.

kizerfluid

The parts off your 1.3 will fit the abd. You can use the box you have or the one for the abd

The abd is just the 1.3 bored out to 1391cc from 1272cc. So that's why its a straight fit for the mk2f and stuff is universal between them. No wireing will need to be changed.

The abd engine is found in early Mk3 golfs and mk1 seat Ibiza's

jono1303

Dude you are awesome.