Sign in to follow this  
Breadvan Princess

Alternator compatibility.

Breadvan Princess

please let me know if I'm being a blithering fool here XD

My alternator seems to have failed on my MK2 1.3 as the car has gradually failed to start after replacing the battery 1 month ago.

I had a 70A alternator spare off a golf ABD which I had fitted to my (now deceased) Mk2f with ABD conversion. So I have now fitted it (using some fabrication to get the brackets to line up) to solve my problem.

My question is, is this OK? Are the alternators actually compatible? It's just I notice the wiring is slightly different.. They both have a large ring terminal for power I presume, but the golf one has a two pin spade connector and the polo has an extra single ring terminal.

The car runs, though whether or not the alternator is succeeding in keeping the car alive is yet to be discovered.

please bear in mind that I am not a trained mechanic (rather a hobbyist) and I may well just be missing the necessary knowledge here. Any ideas appreciated.

cheers :)