Gavandeshaq

Previously Patched Exhaust has Split

Gavandeshaq

Hey all,

My little old R-reg is up for MOT in a month, and after overlooking it myself the only problem I've found is the exhaust.

I can't tell if this is the original clamp between the two exhaust sections or if someone has fixed it - shoddily if so.

The attached images show where the split is, it's at the SYA8 clamp.

Clearly, this is gonna be an MOT fail, you can really hear it as soon as you start the engine, and there's quite a lot of fumes coming through the gap.

The car is only worth a few hundred quid, and replacing the whole exhaust section probably isn't worth it. So my question is whether it's feasible to fix this myself - for cheap - and if so, how?

Cheers guys.

post-912907-0-50304800-1403103124_thumb.

post-912907-0-72498700-1403103697_thumb.

Edited by Gavandeshaq

steveo3002

could you not repeat the repair again with a fresh bit of pipe and new clamps

Gavandeshaq

That's what I'm thinking, I'll do so if it's gonna get it through the MOT, but I'm just worried a DIY repair will not meet MOT standards.

runforrestrun

As long as it's air tight and solid, then an MOT test won't mind.

steveo3002

yeah if its sealed up good then it should pass

Gavandeshaq

Okay, great. So to me, this clamp looks like it's made to cover the gap between the sections of exhaust.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/280aa0939

Do I just need to get that, or will I need some pipe and a couple of those clamps do you reckon?

I've not repaired an exhaust before, so I'm not savvy on these things!

funkster

Did a patch up myself on a pug 307 today. The end of the mid section had rotted, been patched, then the end broke off altogether. Not only did I managed to remake the end bit (flared) with thin ally sheet,paste and box end repair kit,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holts-Gun-Gum-Flexiwrap-Exhaust-End-amp-Bends-Repair-Kit-/301216171971?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

by the time I was done it was really good. (If I do say so myself) Just remember to use proper exhaust repair materials. like wire mesh, fire paste etc. Paste on its own just blows away when you start it up. Looking at your pic, I reckon exhaust repair tape

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Other/Exhaust-Bandage-Repair-Kit/8320707.p

might even get it through its mot. Mot'd many cars just after patching the exhaust and like they say above, as long as it is physically secure and totally gas tight, they will pass it no problem. I even had one pass with a (tiny) leak.

steveo3002

Okay, great. So to me, this clamp looks like it's made to cover the gap between the sections of exhaust.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/280aa0939

Do I just need to get that, or will I need some pipe and a couple of those clamps do you reckon?

I've not repaired an exhaust before, so I'm not savvy on these things!

doesnt look long enough

get under there and measure the pipe accurately , maybe an exhuast center would let you take a piece of scrap pipe out their bin ?