Dark Mode Now Availiable (Change via theme selector at the bottom of the site)
Liz

Liz - The resurrection of Bluey the GT engined Comet Blue coupe

Liz

Model: 1984 1.3 Coupe, registered 24.02.1984, purchased by me 15.08.2000

Engine: Mk3 GT, Longlife exhaust, stainless manifold, higher rev limit chip, performance camshaft

Suspension: Weitec 60/40

Brakes: Golf GTI / G40 VW2 calipers, braided hoses, Custom BRM brake servo conversion

Wheels and Tyres: 13 inch PLS Hockenheim split rims, Yokohama 175/50/13 tyres

Exterior Styling: standard apart from metal sill trim replaced with Chrome one

Interior Styling: Coupe S steering wheel otherwise standard

ICE and Security: troublesome immobiliser!

Comments:

A lot of you will have either met Bluey or known about him, he has been at polo shows from 2003-2011 Winning the show and shine in 2006, with a few 2nd and 3rd prizes over the years, then unfortunately had a engine fire so has been off the road for the last two years.

When i purchased him he had a 1l engine as someone had 'borrowed' the 1.3 HK and left him for scrap, he was rescued and fitted with a 1.3 MH engine out of a scrapped vehicle so went a bit better, until Alan Lawrence AKA Poloace decided to break his mk2 coupe that he had done the GT conversion on. So in 2004 Bluey went to visit his uncle Alan for his holidays and had a respray and the GT engine fitted.

Since then I have had the exhaust fitted, changed suspension, put in another chip and bought the split rim wheels plus general replacement parts and pimping over the years.

He was picked up yesterday to go away and have some welding done and redone where necessary, and will be having another respray in the original comet blue, well as near to his original colour as possible, as it seems obvious his original colour was quite a lot lighter when you look at the old paint inside boot etc.

Right to start with some old school pictures! here he is showing original faded paintwork on the bad side not sure anyone will have seen this picture before, Fern photobombing as well of course!!!

oldbluey.jpg

f9ec2912.jpgaction9.jpg

with one of his old friends that some people may recognise!

action2.jpg

bluey.jpg

the respray and sporting new pin stripes

goodpicnewos.jpg

newbluey.jpg

loaned ATS Classics

ThePoloShow-2005004.jpg

on the newly refurbed hockenheims

e69e6213.jpg

probably one of Blueys most famous pictures from back in 2006

020420060288jp.jpg

VW action 2010 i think

DSCN0721.jpg

I could spend hours finding pictures of him from over the years but anyway this is where i am at now, all stripped down and off to the bodyshop:

DSCN2118.jpg

crustyness around sunroof

DSCN2111.jpg

DSCN2112.jpg

DSCN2110.jpg

terrible welds

DSCN2108.jpg

fire damage

DSCN2107.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

spare wheel well got jacked on and dented

DSCN2105.jpg

battery tray been welded before

DSCN2104.jpg

patchwork floor pan

DSCN2103.jpg

showing the hammerited bits i painted years ago

DSCN2102.jpg

grottyness

DSCN2100.jpg

where he had a previous shunt and was never tidied up properly

DSCN2099.jpg

DSCN2096.jpg

got back his original tailgate so that is being welded up where there is a hole under the spoiler and put back on

unnamed.jpg

I will keep you updated with my progress!

Liz

• Like 3

Leggy

glad to see your cracking on liz. my red ones been off the road 2 years and has the MoT on friday, then I have my comet blue to start ! if your short of any bits or panels let me know as I've got a lot stored. Wish I knew someone to paint mine without forking out full dollar! :smile:

Cymro

Thread Bump :tongue:

apertures

Have you got any pics of the brake servo set up?

Liz

it is about time I did an update isn't it and sorted out the pictures! its been very slow progress indeed but hopefully I will be able to update in the next couple of months.....I'm very much hoping to be back on the road next year!!!

Orc

Yes you do 😉, spotted this at Santa pod yesterday 👍