Fireballuke

AUD Engine Crankshaft position sensor

Fireballuke

Guys I need some help; I have found that I require a new crank shaft position sensor on my 6n2's AUD engine.Does anyone know where it is located, how to get to it and how to remove it?

Any Advice on where I could get one that is of good quality would also be appreciated along with any pictures that could help describe its location

Cheers, Luke

nige8021

It's mounted on the rear of the engine by the engine/gearbox joint, it's easier to see/remove if you take the starter motor off, I would only get this from VW/TPS

Fireballuke

It's mounted on the rear of the engine by the engine/gearbox joint, it's easier to see/remove if you take the starter motor off, I would only get this from VW/TPS

How do I go about removing said starter motor, the Haynes manual is useless but it does suggest removing the inlet manifold. Is this a safe thing to do or will there be reprocussuons of it? The same question goes for removing the starter motor, is there steps I should take to avoid damaging anything?

937carrera

Here's a couple of photos.

The sensor is held in place by one allen bolt which has insufficient depth. I tried to remove one on an engine stand with good access and one in situ. In both cases and with good tools they rounded off meaning I had to chisel them round.

If you are lucky you can access the bolt from underneath the car after removing the starter. If not, I decided that removing the inlet manifold would give good access for relatively little work.

I got mine from Eurocarparts, same as original in my case

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

nige8021

Removing the inlet manifold would give better access to the starter motor but you can do it without, just make sure you disconnect the battery NEG terminal before you start wielding spanners near the starter !! disconnect the electrical connections on the starter then three bolts and it slides out,

If you do remove the inlet, just make sure you don't loose any of the rubber "O" rings

937carrera

Agreed, I should have said "if you are lucky and the allen bolt comes undone". My initial approach was just as you say Nige by removing the starter only.

This is what i had to do to release the one on the engine stand

IMAG0276.jpg

Fireballuke

So we are saying that there are 2 options:

1) go under the car remove the starter motor from the underside and then the sensor

Or

2) remove the throttle body, the inlet manifold (being careful not to loose any rubber rings), then the starter motor finally to access the sensor

I may have to do option 2 as with my polo being lowered it doesn't do raps very well and I have no access to a lift or pit. But if the sensor is under the starter why isn't it accessible straight away from under the car or is the starter obstructing it?

Fireballuke

Here's a couple of photos.

The sensor is held in place by one allen bolt which has insufficient depth. I tried to remove one on an engine stand with good access and one in situ. In both cases and with good tools they rounded off meaning I had to chisel them round.

If you are lucky you can access the bolt from underneath the car after removing the starter. If not, I decided that removing the inlet manifold would give good access for relatively little work.

I got mine from Eurocarparts, same as original in my case

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

Are these images front the top or the bottom of the car?

Fireballuke

Is this sensor the same through the all the 6n2's or is it specific to each engine type?

Edited by Fireballuke

nige8021

The basic part number is the same for all 0300957147 then add G for the AUD

The second pic shows why you need to remove the starter,

937carrera

The first two images were taken from the top, around where the inlet manifold is. Use the fuel rail as a guide to orientation.

You have to remove the starter as the sensor is located under the starter. You can then either try to remove the allen bolt from the bottom, or remove the inlet manifold and do the job from the top. There's less work if you remove from the bottom and the bolt comes out.

Hope that helps

caretakerplus

Just a note on where to source sensors in particular, but many parts in general.

Sensors (and other parts) obtained from factors may look the same as the genuine 'identical' part obtained from dealers, and may (but not always) be cheaper.

However, some of the parts form factors MAY be of lower quality and not have undergone the same quality control/testing as do genuine parts.

In some cases (exhaust systems may be one) this may not matter too much, as you will get a reasonable service life and, in the case of the example, some warning when it is about to fail.

For more critical parts, and for parts in which the cost/time taken in fitting far outweighs the cost of the part itself, I would always recommend that only genuine parts are fitted.

In any case, it always pays to check the price of genuine parts before you commit to buying, as it is not unknown for them to be the same price as parts from factors, or even lower!

I know of a recent example where an engine (not VW) was ruined by the fitting of a non-genuine oil filter element!

Regards