noncompusmentis

6n2 GTI 1.6 16v Engine Rebuild - What parts are needed?

noncompusmentis

Hi all, I need some help!

I've got a 6n2 GTI that needs an top end rebuild as the engine was tapping. I thought it may be a sticky hydraulic tappet, so I shoved some engine flush through as a kill or cure solution.

Typically, as my luck would have it... I killed it!

The valve stem oil seals are shot and the tapping has stayed.

So I need to have a bit of a rebuild. The last engine that I rebuilt was an aircooled Beetle engine, so I need a bit of advice on what parts I should buy in readiness for the engine removal, strip down, rebuild and re-installation.

I'm thinking I need:

Valve stem oil seals x 16

Head gasket

Exhaust gasket

'Instant' gasket for rocker cover and sump

Cambelt kit... might as well while it's in bits!

I was hoping to find some miracle kit on GSF or similar like I used to buy for my aircooled engines, but it's not that simple!

Can I ask for your help to make sure I get all I need? Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Andy :smile:

mark_crox

Head bolts.

if you haven't already register here: www.vagcat.com

It will have all the VW Part diagrams and numbers. I found it very useful when doing my rebuild.

dixy

Have a look on eBay

Gasket set : 310392765319

Bolts : 351072857599

Cam belt : 291215746632

Water pump : 151237317834

Give gsf a call and use these prices as a guide, then go for the cheaper option.

Give the tappers a good clean out by pressing them in a vice grip etc and when all the dirty oil has come out then dunk them in clean oil and release so they fill up with new oil. Repeat until it's as clean coming out as going in.

Worth checking the oil pressure now as it's fairly common for the oil pump to fail and give too low a pressure. This I have found is mostly due to people using too much sealant around the sump etc and clogging the pick up. So try to use as little as possible. The cam cover doesn't need any, so if you do want to use some, a very thin (barely visible) smear will do it.

noncompusmentis

Good shout on the head bolts and water pump... not something that I'd had to worry about on the old air cooled stuff!

Cheers for the eBay item numbers :)

Edited by noncompusmentis

dixy

Air cooled engines are awesome, so simple to work on. And yeah, didn't even think about it but you defiantly wouldn't need a water pump :)

Also, about the sump, after you have the head back on and the mount holding the engine, I would highly recommend dropping the sump and taking the pickup tube off and give it a good clean out. I can almost guarantee its almost completely gummed up. My freshly rebuilt engine which has only done about 10 miles had a completely blocked one. So imagine 100000 miles :).

You will need to undo the drive shaft from the gearbox to get to a few of the rear bolts. Exhaust can stay on.

woolley456

Have a look at my rebuild matey

I listed pics and what I used

I think the only thing I didn't replace was the hydraulic tappers!

noncompusmentis

Have a look at my rebuild matey

I listed pics and what I used

I think the only thing I didn't replace was the hydraulic tappers!

Looks like all your pictures have disapeared :-(

I've be very interested in seeing what you've done though :)

Edited by noncompusmentis

rodeater

Exhaust valve guides too they wear out and tbh they are cheap and a piece of piss to change

Gbd8512

Is it burning oil? Worn valve guides it could be. If its tapping like someone is hitting the engine with a spanner it could be a roller come off the valve. How did it start? I have a complete head off mine in good condition if your interested? Mine was worn piston rings but bought 2nd hand head, had it reconned and fitted that aswell as rings. Sump war a royal nice person to get off. There were two bolts behind the flywheel through the cut outs that were tight.

noncompusmentis

Yeah, it's burning oil.

It's not a loud tap, it's a bit more of a repetitive rhythmic rattly tap if that makes sense. It's in time with the engine speed and if you place a screwdriver to your ear and rest it on the cam cover using the screwdriver like a stethoscope, the sound is more prominent around cylinder number 2.

When I bought the car, I knew about the tapping. I figured that it would just be a sticky hydraulic tappet and that an engine flush would sort it.

Unfortunately, the flush didn't solve it, but after the flush it started billowing smoke out on startup.

I had the car in to the garage for a clutch fitting who confirmed my suspicions that it was the valve stem oils seals, but the engine would benefit from at least a top end rebuild.

For the time being though, I need to put any chance of a rebuild on hold as we've just agreed the sale of our house and the purchase of a new one! The rebuild will continue as soon as we're settled in the new house.

Cheers everyone for your help :D:drinks: