Mk2 Polo Classic GL

spooner94

i just got hold of this MK2 'loon

its a Classic GL

1.3 4spd

45k genuine miles

Stratos Blue

all original except the steels.

The previous owner believes this to be one of the first polo classics in the UK after they changed the name from the derby, and that this one may have been a dealer's demo car with a high trim level.

It has chrome trim along the front and rear window seals, along both bumpers, along the grill and around the dash clocks. it also has a chrome strip down the side which he stated he had never seen on a 'loon before. it also has factory parcel shelf speakers and a sunroof.

Are there any 'loon enthusiasts that know more about trim levels and when they were released etc.?

IMG_1504%20-%20Copy_zpsnrzlb2rv.jpg

IMG_1519%20-%20Copy_zps9fglap2q.jpgIMG_1524%20-%20Copy_zpsohcikgeu.jpg

Gaz

Looks tidy! The earliest classics came out at the beginning of 1982 - it's possible to get them on X registration but quite rare. Mine is a GL registered in March 1983 on a Y plate. All mk2 shape 'derbys' were badged as classics but you can get 'derby' badges for them, as in Europe the name was retained until 1984 or 5

I know lots about this particular model (had mine 10 years!) - so ask away!

Looks like it's lost the headlight washers?

The wheels are similar to ones I did - I put 5.5" polo GT steels on which looked the same as the original wheels, just wider :) The chrome trims work well against the black steels

The early GLs have arguably the best engine of any mk2s - the 60hp HH, although yours is a B reg so it might have the 55hp HK

Edited by Gaz

Elijah

Looks sweet, even has original dealer plates.

prankstar2003

Lovely

Gaz, when did the stop putting the small, poverty mirrors on them do you know. We both have them, but this has normal ones on

Gaz

Mine wasn't fitted with them when I bought it. It was one year only I think; so 1982 model year that had them

I wouldnt call em poverty spec. They had remote adjust versions of them on early GLs

spooner94

Ah If I ever need a hand I know who to ask! Not sure about the headlight washers! Previous owner didn't say anything about them. The wheels are mk3 golf steels apparently with original caps and rings, I very nice solid original car and I've just had all the rust related leaks sorted too :)

Gaz

Yep they're the original caps and trims alright. Here's how they looked on the gt steels

P1000123-1.jpg

Any pics of the engine or interior? Should be able to identify the engine from a photo

spooner94

ill post some up of the engine and interior soon. i prefer the look of the GT wheels over the mk3s, i'll have to get some!

spooner94

10979372_10155117613705542_457089805_n_z

i checked the compression in the engine and it was at 12 - 12.2 bar, which I'm guessing isnt normal..

residentmelon

i checked the compression in the engine and it was at 12 - 12.2 bar, which I'm guessing isnt normal..

Are you talking about a cylinder compression test? and across all four cylinders you got 12 bar is about 175psi which mean that all cylinder are in good condition.

Anything below 7 bar or 100 psi mean piston ring or valves are sticking.

Gaz

Well that to me looks like a HK enigne - (55hp) so the compresion ratio is 9.5:1 The reference compression pressures are in the haynes manual, which if you don't have I can have a look

Edited by Gaz

residentmelon

1.3 55hp

BMEP
Break mean effective pressure is the average pressure that acts on the piston. The higher the pressure is, the more optimized design has been achieved. BMEP takes into account engine's volume, rpm and power output. 137.62 psi (pounds per square inch)

948.86 kPa (kilopascals)

9.49 bar (bars)

Edited by residentmelon
  • Like 1

spooner94

That's good to know, Yeah I got myself a Haynes manual cheers!

spooner94

A little update, lost my rear passenger side plastic trim. Does anybody know where you can get them from? Or does anybody have any lying around? I am also looking for some banded standard, or just standard mk2 steels.

Gaz

That's a shame, been discontinued at VW since the 1990s I'm afraid. I took mine off before respray and so far I've only found 2 of the 8 pieces. Let me know if you find any! :) I'm hoping VW heritage start doing them...

spooner94

Yeah I've taken all mine off, I don't want to lose another! I sure will if I find any, I've been looking for a while though and havnt found any. Yeah that would be nice if they did!

prankstar2003

On a different note, and having read your intro at the top, The Polo 'Classic' was around for 2 years before this one was made. I have an old Y and there will have been an A between that and yours.

Shame about the chrome trim, it looks really nice IMO. Still a great motor. Keep it like that