Sign in to follow this  
PHIL SWARBRICK

084 4 speed gearbox bearings

PHIL SWARBRICK

Can anyone help with the cylindrical roller bearings that are in the clutch end of 084 4 speed gearbox that the primary and secondary shaft run in. I am rebuilding it at present with new bearings and seals. I have all the bearings except the ones described. I have tried a lot of websites that sell obsolete bearings and the local VW dealer with no luck. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Phil

caretakerplus

If you don't have any luck obtaining it under a part number, try measuring it up and checking with various bearing suppliers - chances are that the same bearing is used on some piece of wquipment somewhere in the world.

What you need is: Outer diameter, Inner diameter and Height (thickness.)

Cylindrical Roller Bearings can be quite expensive 'for what they are', as they are hand selected and assembled, unlike most bearings.

Regards

PHIL SWARBRICK

Hi Cartakerplus,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all that you have suggested. One of my last hopes was BRT bearings who have tried harder than others and come up with one that is exactly the same and an alternative for the other which should do the job although it is narrower. I wished I had never started the rebuild because the bearings and seals have been so expensive. The 5 speed in the car at the moment is making bad noises after a clutch cable failure so I am having to finish it so I have a replacement. Does anyone know the 085 5 speed codes that identify a riveted crown wheel because I am wanting to put a Quaife LSD in the diff ?

Regards

Phil

Gbd8512

My gearbox is ffw that has riveted crownwheel mate.

PHIL SWARBRICK

Hi Gpd8512,

Is the ffw the only gearbox code that has the riveted crown wheel?

Regards Phil