Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Candy White 9n3 GTI

Dave9n3

cheers nige. I'm pretty much sorted for parts at the moment I think! I have a large tank but may downsize/upgrade to a Devilsown one since they have a mounting flange so it can be bolted to something rather than strapped down like the tank i have now will be. 

Things left to do are to just make up the wiring loom adapters with some OEM connectors, drill a few holes in the project box for the power wires to the pump and then supply the box with 12v from the car via a fuse tap. I should really add up what its cost me so far - I'm pretty sure I'm still under the £50 mark. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave9n3

• Jake

• wizardmanjm

• Dean

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking good mate!

So, since fitting the diff the clutch has started to slip. Que the 'should have done it when you had the box off' the clutch had been absolutely solid up until this point so never thought it would hav

Finally given it a wash and also fitted the new brakes all round         Motul RBF660 gone in :) very happy with the pedal feel and with how the brakes now look

Posted Images

Look what the catch can catches ? 

At least I can say it was money well spent. 

In the pipeline I have a set of corbeau clubsport seats - being made late November. OMP subframes have already been purchased. Should hold me much better than the leathers would on track. Probably have harnesses at a later date. 

IMG_5185.JPG

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Not long, probably say 300 miles? 

Cheers, well it did until I couldn't flash it lol computer just wouldn't accept the drivers I could find that were supposed to work. Has a CH340 which is a USB to serial chip, Chinese FTDI copy so I fucked it off and bought a board with a genuine FTDI chip fitted. Didn't know it was going to cause so many problems. Anyhow I've bought some more PCB screw terminals that are smaller so will mean more room for additional stuff in the future. Screen and such :P

yeah deffo. I need to get uni sorted or I'll never do it ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update:

Corbeau Clubsports fitted! Quite liking them so far but will see how I get on with longer journeys. Pics soon when it doesn't get dark stupidly early. 

Picked up a spare gearbox box for the polo with the intention of rebuilding, replacing bearings and possibly some worn synchro rings if need be and the all important addition of a LSD (brand TBC) 

Never stripped a gearbox in my life so was pretty keen to give it ago. Below are some pics of the tear down as it happened. Modified a set of pullers to get the 5th gearset off, once that was done it was fairly plain sailing. Hopefully I can source some

beaeings and give the box a proper refurbishing whilst it's apart, may as well donit properly since it requires so much effort.

Choice of bearings will likely be SKF or FAG as this is what they seem to use from factory. It's all but stripped now but thought to update, I needed to strip it before buying a diff to be sure I was actually able to do it! Can't wait to build it back up, pointers from any experts on here would be handy also as I'm new to messing with gearboxes.

I was a tad careful and proof marked a lot of the bits that I removed, I also marked up and bagged all the components to be sure the right bits go back where they should and not just where they may fit :P 

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

Edited by Dave9n3

I think I read somewhere on elsawin that I should check the synchros with some feeler gauges so that could be the next job to assess what the gearbox needs/could do with for the refurb. 

Possibly be attending the RR day later in the month if I'm free. 

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

F300470C-CB3E-4443-A184-4ABBAFC03502-473

Never made it to the RR day which is a shame, I had intended to have my own tune sorted and to then travel down to see what it could do solely tuned by me. 

I wasnt happy with the boost control  trok as I had fluctuations due to the PID not being tuned properly. Just so happens I've managed to sort that out now and can finally start adding some ignition timing bit by bit until I get to the limit, at which point I'm going to add my water meth set up and see what else it can do. Possibly going to add some larger injectors and add a 3" MAF to the set up, which will require some more tweaking of the software. 

Thought id add a picture of how the boost control looks now since it's taken me a long time to get it to this stage. Plus I've already started lifting the ignition timing.

Hopefully I can get some top figures by myself. I may even decide I want more in the future. 

In in other news - the differential is out of the box along with the standard bearing races and diff seals. 

New items have been purchased and a trip to VW for some more replacements is imminent. I'll then be purchasing a diff with February's pay packet. 

Final job to do is to drill the rivets out of the diff to remove the standard ring gear. 

Edited by Dave9n3
  • 4 weeks later...

Soooo

Crown wheel is now separate from the standard open diff and ready to be bolted to a new unit.

To do:

- Source some new diff bearings and more new gearbox parts that should be renewed.

- fit crown wheel for LSD.

- Press new bearings onto LSD and also press outer races into gearbox casing. 

- fab up a plate/stand for my DTI holder for the gearbox casing so I can measure the bearing clearance.

hopefully I can start building the box back up and maybe have it rebuilt for the end of March.

Diff arrived today! Went with the Quaife ATB LSD from TSR performance - must say delivery was super quick, paid for mid day and arrived next day so pretty good I'd say.

In other news I fitted some 386cc injectors and fuel rail from a TT 225 and edited the software myself. Fuel trims look bang on! 

was previously running the standard 317cc injectors with a 4bar fpr to give probably more like 340-350cc/min in reality but they were almost being maxed at redline.

now upgraded to 386cc @ 3bar rail pressure, less strain on the pump and more injector headroom! You can get away with standard injectors at stage 2 normally but why not have the extra headroom and safety net :P 

as well as the extra headroom the new fuel rail has the pipes facing downwards rather than horozontal which means I can now route my fuel lines more neatly and not have to drag them over the top of my charge pipe.

will get some more pics of thefuel rail, didn't take many as was in a bit of a rush to get it all done.

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

Something new :D

350mm wheel pretty much flat, 5mm dish if that. Should be a bit better to drive with in tighter corners! 

IMG_6634.JPG

Ordered and fitted the diff bearings, crown wheel now bolted to the diff! 

Started to re assemble the box and checking the bearing play with a DTI to ensure correct shimming of the diff. Do it once do it right ;) 

More gearbox spares are in the post, can't wait for it to be rebuilt and be at the point where it's going on the car.

Still need to fit the 5th gear bearing and new input shaft seal. I also purchased a higher ratio 5th gear set hence the new 5th gear bearing arriving, this should drop it by around 200rpm so I'll be doing 70 at about 2800rpm rather than 3000rpm before.

Going to be ordering a new shim today. Here's some more pics of the build!

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

Checked the play in different positions just to eliminate any errors. Was getting about 0.43mm play so will shim according to VW specs as taken from elsawin!

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

• Like 1

Progressed the gearbox build further - seems like it's taking me so long but I'm doing stuff right without cutting corners.

pics of newly fitted spare seals. It's had new diff housing seals and a whole new input shaft seal just for peace of mind! 5th gear with new bearing and sleeve.

Going to give the internals a really good clean and get all the old oil out, I can soon start throwing more stuff into place and it'll soon be finished. I decided I'm going to clean the casing when it's built up and sealed since there are some bearings fitted to the casing that I'm not replacing so don't really want to get these covered in water for any prolonged peroid.

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fitted the steering wheel and boss kit over the weekend since we had such good weather so here's a couple of pics.

IMG_6901.JPG

IMG_6902.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

Started cleaning the gearbox at the weekend and eventually got round to giving it some paint. Decided just to go an OEM silver with the gearbox rather than anything fancy. 

Ordered some fuchs sintofluid gearbox oil via Opie oils so once it's painted it'll be ready to be fitted to the car and filled with some new oil!  

Need to get myself an engine brace/beam and some other bits and bobs to make the gearbox change go smoothly as I've never swapped a gearbox out before.

IMG_6980.JPG

IMG_6982.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

LSD box is now in and fitted. No issues so far! Filled with some fuchs sintofluid recommended to me by opie oils 

Took me a while to get the box in and out as I was doing it on my own and being careful not to foul any pipework on the way in or out. Had to take breaks in between the rubbish weather.

IMG_7158.JPG

IMG_7163.JPG

Out with the old ? feels smoother than the old box and less of a whine, I was having a slight whine on acceleration in 1st gear which I suspect may be down to the fact the diff seems to have some minor play, very little I might add but some nevertheless. Possible plans to refurb my spare box in the event I ever run into any problems with the current box. I'm in no rush to be swapping a gearbox over again though lol 

I also treated the car to a new ramair filter as the old one was well due changing imo. No pics of that ATM though. 

IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7167.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Dave9n3

This weekends job was new suspension. I knew the AP's had been on the car for quite a while. I've had the car for 3 years and even the previous owner didn't fit the AP's and he had it for 2 years. The rear dampers eventually started leaking so it was time for a full new set up since it was looking to be about £150 for new rear dampers. I knew the fronts were old so what was to say that they would last much longer.

I went with a set of ST XA which are made bun KW and supposed to be the same as the V2's minus the stainless bodies. 

They got fitted this weekend along with new droplinks. So the car has had track rod ends, balljoints and droplinks so it should be good for a decent amount of time now.

IMG_7385.JPG

IMG_7386.JPG

• Like 1
Dave9n3

Picture of the old AP's vs new ST XA's

also picture of the engine bay after fitting 3" MAF and new ramair filter 

IMG_7375.JPG

• Like 1
Dave9n3

So, since fitting the diff the clutch has started to slip. Que the 'should have done it when you had the box off' the clutch had been absolutely solid up until this point so never thought it would have been an issue.

it started slipping at full throttle around 3k rpm. I promptly ordered a clutch knowing that a trackday i'd booked was just a couple of weeks away. I'm also on 24/7 callout for work at the moment so thought it best to pay someone to fit it ... that is until I was quoted £300 just in labour. So I set to work taking it apart again on Wednesday evening, had the box out that night. Last night the new sachs VR6 clutch and 7kg G60 flywheel was fitted, new flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts all torqued to spec. Box is now back in with just driveshafts and dogbone mount to reattach. 

Hoping everything is ok once totally back together. 

Heres a picture of the old clutch and a picture of the new one installed.

IMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7451.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks tidy, mate! Nice stance, very clean. That steering wheel looks big! Who needs an airbag, eh? ;) 

• Like 1
Dave9n3

Cheers guys -

Not long back from doing a trackday at Anglesey. Car held its own and most importantly came back ok and had no issues. I think it soon deserves a treat (oil and filter change along with replacing the oil pickup pipe inside the sump as they're prone to clogging and the first symptom is an oil starved turbo so ideally would like to avoid that) 

tonight I finally got round to starting the meth install, or at least the hardware side. Tank mounted, pump wiring taped up with the OEM cloth harness tape and fitted with an OEM connector ready for power once I've sorted the electronics side. 

Decided to run a solenoid rather than check valve so made a bracket for that and mounted it up. Again wiring was loom taped and fitted with a nice OEM connector. Still lots to do but closer now than I was early today haha. 

IMG_7655.JPG

IMG_7658.JPG