Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Adventures in Polo restoration....

AveryCates

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AveryCates

• Duffy

• kwijibo_coupe

• wizardmanjm

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On a snowy day back in 2009 I managed to crash my wifes 6N into a raised bus stop curb, as you can imagine the results were impressive. Passenger side wheel at 45 degrees to the drivers and the steeri

Just collected my latest batch of plating, shiny as ever! And I have dropped the wheels off to be refurbished, hopefully be ready in about 2 weeks! Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

Hindsight is a wonderful thing....but you can only piss with the cock you got!

Posted Images

AveryCates
42 minutes ago, Duffy said:

Yeah, satin black is easier to get a decent finish on overall

:)

And fluff seems to be sexually attached to gloss!

• 2 weeks later...
AveryCates

Did a little bit over the weekend as the weather was nice...well the floor was dry!

IMAG1937_zpsotxr9xxe.jpg

IMAG1938_zpsgic7ecub.jpg

IMAG1939_zpspqtujpdq.jpg

fitted the new rear beam, went a lot easier than expected. I did use bolt cutters to chop the hand brake cables and brake pipes.

I bleed the brakes, but because the caliper pistons were wound all the way in I still need to adjust them a little so they work properly. I should do that this week, if the weather holds out and have a look at the wonky steering!!

AveryCates

Well, the weather was rubbish all week so no new progress on the car....but these turned up today

IMAG1945_zpsn7g0kszu.jpg

IMAG1946_zpszayu00sd.jpg

Not the size you were expecting [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

• Like 1
AveryCates

Just collected my latest batch of plating, shiny as ever!

IMAG1950_zpspkpetmzn.jpg

And I have dropped the wheels off to be refurbished, hopefully be ready in about 2 weeks!

Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
AveryCates
On 27/02/2017 at 20:07, Duffy said:

The plating looks excellent (as does the rest!)

Do you have a link? 

Plating - http://www.allenchrome.co.uk/

Wheels - www.raw-wheels.co.uk  (Picking up wheels on Monday :D)

Been busy on the house this last week, decorating and having new doors fitted....so still very little progress on the Polo unfortunately. I did manage to get the gearbox to a local company for a rebuild/strip and check, should be back with me towards the end of next week.

Put my PAS pump back together

IMAG2024_zpsqgdq2gx2.jpg

And my AC compressor

IMAG2027_zpsdwm9gans.jpg

IMAG2025_zpsidhle84z.jpg

And these bits arrived .....

IMAG2032_zpsexf9mhr9.jpg

IMAG2040_zpsx2pxjmkz.jpg

IMAG2043_zpsizotwciq.jpg

IMAG2042_zpsrftx7lh7.jpg

Should have a few of the missing pieces later next week....

• Like 1

Need to see what the gold looks like on the car! 

Who do you use for your plating? 

Edited by Duffy
AveryCates
1 hour ago, Duffy said:

Need to see what the gold likes like on the car! 

Who do you use for your plating? 

Top of previous post....Allen Chrome, Pocklington, near York.

AveryCates

Few more bits arrived....

Fuel pressure regulator (specially for injection to carb pressure)

IMAG2050_zpsffbwuoqw.jpg

Mk2 Dizzy

IMAG2051_zpswshubizf.jpg

Also picked up the gearbox after its rebuild, the guy said it wasn't too bad just some wear on the main bearings. I was thinking of having it vapour blasting to look like new....but thought that might just be a step too far. So it was just degreased and cleaned

IMAG2069_zpsubrarqr5.jpg

IMAG2068_zpsjzrij6zc.jpg

And fitted the centre caps to the wheels, if the weather stays nice I will fit the wheels tomorrow

IMAG2067_zpsxxn34jmi.jpg

• 7 months later...
AveryCates

Well, it has been a while since I posted anything on here....kinda lost the will after the changes to Photobucket, but new picture host hopefully everything will be good now. Shame most of my thread is blank now....I shall try harder to upload things!

The majority of the summer I have spent at working at sea and selling my house. With the move looming I decided to pull my finger out a little bit and get the car road worthy at least for the move to a new house. We are moving from Hull to a village near Scunthorpe.

So the wonky steering needed sorting (which I never really looked at) and an MOT was over due. In true DIY mechanic fashion....i took it to my local garage and sheepishly told them I'd done something wrong and asked them to fix it.

Well, the steering was simply a geometry problem. With everything coming on and off a few times everything was out of kilter, so everything was re-aligned.

It also flew though the MOT, no advisories.

37968083001_a18745dba2_b.jpgScreenshot-2017-10-27 VOLKSWAGEN POLO - Check MOT history by Thomas Banks, on Flickr

All I need to do now is pick it up on Monday morning.

All my tools, car part etc are packaged up at the moment so there will be no progress with the new engine over winter. Unless I cave in and find a garage to do the work for me!!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
AveryCates
On 14/07/2018 at 20:09, Tatton117 said:

What happened to the polo? We need more updates! 😀😀

You're making me want to strip mine down!! 

Wow over 3 years since I last posted anything here....I guess that's what happens when you buy a new house that is a wreck, then spend all your free time & money trying to make it habitable.

Click HERE for the original advert, we don't think the previous owners did any decoration and they moved in around 1980. So after a replumb, rewire, walls stripped, replastered and repainted I am now just waiting on carpet for the last room.

I can throw up a few after images if anyone is interested....but this isn't called Club House Renovation after all.

Edited by AveryCates
AveryCates

The Polo is still going strong, passed its last 2 MOTs with flying colours (next is early Feb) but it is largely the same as my last update here. I did swap back to the 15" BBS wheels as the 16s raised it up a little high. The lack of a proper garage is now my only issue, I have  a double car port but this time of year it is a little chilly so there is no progress.

My plan for the next year isn't terribly exciting, gearbox & clutch swap so that it is a little easier to drive. Currently the clutch doesn't fully engage, making gear changes hard and sometimes stalls the engine. There is no adjustment left on the cable, and the clutch has done over 100k so it's time for a change.

I don't think I am going to be doing the AFH on bike carbs swap any more, I've spent way too much on the house and need to top my savings back up. So all the parts I hoarded need to be sold on along with the 16" BBS wheels..

• Love it 1