Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

What grinds your gears

KOBpolo98

wizardmanjm

The funny thing is they are higher paid up north than I am in Clapham Junction, even with London allowance and everything, you would think it would be nationalised which is why the rmt are fighting now and have been for about a decade. It's bizarre

We've done the whole property search up there and she was really excited but then she went off the idea and doesn't want to leave her family behind...I've already left mine and I'm used to it now so I would rather not put her through it too lol

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wizardmanjm

• kwijibo_coupe

• steveo3002

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some people's opinion of the police. For example I am a "member" on a pretty large car group based around Birmingham because I went to a meet once, every single day is someone being pulled for somet

A car related rant... People driving their car through massive puddles then wondering why their car suddenly doesn't work any more! I know a lot of people have been effected by flooding recently, and

hahah CASH pretty fortunate to not have to pay rent/mortgage at 40...but dont be too jealous its not some huge plush pad

wizardmanjm

Yeah exactly, I've said that a lot too, it takes about 4 -5 hours travel and we go to newcastle Atleast 3 times a year so we could do the same if we lived there, could do it a lot more if we wanted to and that almost swayed her but I've pretty much given up now

I might make another attempt some time, there a new excuse every time...first it was that it was too quiet up north till I showed her the city and the good places she loved it and then the family came into question which I think is her underlying problem...we even take turns at Christmas time which family we visit and she gets all emotional after 2 or 3 days away from her mam and dad lol

KOBpolo98

Haven't posted on this thread in a wile but the road service has annoyed me recently. There's a stretch of road near me that has claimed 35 cars in the passed month and they do nothing about it. It's claimed 2 of my mates cars (a Lovely bora and a 306). It's that bad that when there's bad rain you can almost bet that someone will Wright there car of there that night (water lays in a dip at the top of a crest). Even so the road service chooses to do nothing about this spot

harris.racing

I do feel for people trying to buy houses.

Have just bought myself on my own; which I am glad I have now took the plunge and done, did do a shit load of overtime, 70-80 hour weeks and working regular weekends to save up a sizeable deposit, but now my monthly payments are manageable enough to still have some sort of life.

I hate paying for stuff monthly, I like to own everything, so it's currently killing me having a 25 year long mortgage in my name!

herrdavies

I do feel for people trying to buy houses.

Have just bought myself on my own; which I am glad I have now took the plunge and done, did do a shit load of overtime, 70-80 hour weeks and working regular weekends to save up a sizeable deposit, but now my monthly payments are manageable enough to still have some sort of life.

I hate paying for stuff monthly, I like to own everything, so it's currently killing me having a 25 year long mortgage in my name!

Yeah, I don't like the idea of being saddled with a mortgage. But it's got to be better than topping up a landlord's bank account hey?

Yeah it is a vicious circle as has been said, we've been putting money away a few years but the situation with her parents Isn't so bad that we need to get out.

We do think time to time of just getting a one bedroom for 200 or just under and getting on the property ladder, plus the bigger deposit we can pay on a cheaper property the better the interest will be and then after ten years we would have a big enough chunk to do a much bigger house. Either that or she mans up and comes to newcastle which won't happen.

Being in network rail I have almost got an option of moving where I want in the UK and they will even take my work days as interviews. It's the misses that's stopping me

I was surprised when you said 200...

I always forget up north things are cheaper. Between me and my girlfriend, we are looking in the region of 150, and that will hopefully be with a garage (if I get lucky).

Please tell me any of you who are actually saving for a house have opened a Help to Buy ISA?

• Like 1
kwijibo_coupe

I opened up a Help to Buy account with Nationwide about 3 years ago.

I put away a decent amount every month and the interest doesn't seem too bad.

Doesn't help you get a mortgage in any way though. My poor credit history still shines through even though I'm now debt free and earning a decent wage.

herrdavies

I opened up a Help to Buy account with Nationwide about 3 years ago.

I put away a decent amount every month and the interest doesn't seem too bad.

Doesn't help you get a mortgage in any way though. My poor credit history still shines through even though I'm now debt free and earning a decent wage.

The new ones that started at the beginning of December have a government contribution. There are certain stipulations, but they'll contribute an extra 25% to what you save (up to a max of £3,000). Figured it's free money so we both opened one up.

kwijibo_coupe

Oh really...what bank is that with? An extra £750 would be handy.

wizardmanjm

yeah I have just been putting it in a savings account belonging to the gf's mother and the interest is very good (cant remember exactly what it is though). We are both looking at doing the save tp buy at nationwide too...or is it natwest? cant remember but they say in the small print that as long as no more than 2 payments are missed or late during the period and your credit rating is above a certain amount that they will guarantee a mortgage. Not that I'm worried about the credit rating as mine is nearly 1000 and I've never missed payments on my finance, insurances, phone bills etc

wizardmanjm

if you want your gears grinding ask me how i paid for my house lol

Go on then steve, Spill the beans :tongue:

steveo3002

hahah CASH

pretty fortunate to not have to pay rent/mortgage at 40...but dont be too jealous its not some huge plush pad

• Like 3
kwijibo_coupe

hahah CASH

pretty fortunate to not have to pay rent/mortgage at 40...but dont be too jealous its not some huge plush pad

If I could live in my own place and not have the worry of cash or rent then I wouldn't care what it was, flat, house or massive mansion.

Have you not thought about getting a buy to let mortgage on a flat and renting it out? Even if it sits empty for a while, it is still your only mortgage.

steveo3002

yeah maybe , could get a buy to let ooop north for cheap ish and then hope it would pay a small wage

• Like 1
kwijibo_coupe

That's what I would do anyway. The rent on any flat would easily pay the mortgage and insurance etc. plus give you a little income every month. Also with more and more people renting it's not like you would ever struggle to let it out.

If only I had all these thoughts and ideas myself 10 years ago, I'd be self employed making a small fortune by now. :lol:

steveo3002

yeah then buy another with that income and so on and so on

kinda puts me off we might get somewhere and get a scuzzer in that wrecks it /wont pay rent , we dont earn alot so couldnt really be fxxxed over too much

herrdavies

The help to buy ISA's are with almost any bank really:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/help-to-buy-ISA

Mine is with Halifax. Initial deposit of £1000 then a max of £200 per month after that (so you can pay in immediately after first £1,000 to make it £1,200 in the first month).

Handy really as it's free money.

hahah CASH

Lucky sod. I'll be happy with a place that has a garage and some extra parking. Just need space for all the parts I'm starting to gather.

Personally my plan is to get a place then set some money aside for a G40. I'm told I'm weird, you could offer me a brand new car for next to nothing, and I'd turn it down for a G40.

Just hope someone is parting with one at some point when I'm ready, people cherish them... :-(

kwijibo_coupe

Handy link and I miss-read what you said before, so they will add up to £3000 extra not pay 25% of up to £3000. Awesome!

I'm the same I'd rather have a G40 over a brand new boring car.

herrdavies

Handy link and I miss-read what you said before, so they will add up to £3000 extra not pay 25% of up to £3000. Awesome!

I'm the same I'd rather have a G40 over a brand new boring car.

Exactly yeah. It's a good idea.

I figured I should get having a place out of the way before my other desires :smile:

wizardmanjm

If I didn't put money away I could only imagine where my breadvan would be by now...I loathe spending even my spare money on it which is why it's moving so slow.

I loosened up a bit because I got a load of back pay without anything to spend it on and then I decided to buy everything I need for the engine swap now. Only waiting on the oil pump chain now and it can all be built together

Edited by wizardmanjm
wizardmanjm

Haven't tried with the new breaker yet, got it in position with a bit of wood to hold the crank too, just waiting on gfs dad to help hold it while I swing on the breaker, being that the new chain hasn't yet arrived I haven't bothered because I also have a better chance putting the new one in properly if I do it all on the same day and don't forget how it came out

kwijibo_coupe

A car related rant...

People driving their car through massive puddles then wondering why their car suddenly doesn't work any more! I know a lot of people have been effected by flooding recently, and I do feel sorry for those that are. But this morning there was reports locally of people trying to go through puddles that could be measured in Feet!!

Now unless you're earning thousands of pounds a day and you are driving a £200 banger then why even try it? Risking your average £5k plus car driving through a massive puddle is in no way worth the £60 for that day or whatever the average wage is now.

The excuse I've heard from people is "I had no choice". Well I'm sorry but you did, you could have turned round, found a different route or just gone home. Given the choice of loosing a car and the associated hassle as well as loosing a days wages, or just stay at home keep the car and just loose a days wages I know what I would choose.

• Like 3
kwijibo_coupe

Being stuck in work on a Sunday night / Monday morning with pretty much bugger all to do.....

Anyway my rant for today, peoples description or lack of for parts that they want. Seeing this more and more and it is really getting to me. You'll see one person looking for a front bumper and their post will read "Wanted, front bumper for my 1991 mk2f Polo 1.0 Genesis coupe". They are all the same, just say mk2f! Although this week I have had someone try and tell me GT bumpers are different from normal ones...:lol:

Then you'll have someone else saying "wanted manifold". Which ultimately leads to people offering you an SPI exhaust manifold when you're actually after a GT inlet manifold. :lol: