Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDi Estate Laurin & Klement

nige8021

Vag-Com - If I we happen to cross Nige I might ask you to activate that on mine for a beer!

I haven't done mine yet, but I did it on a Golf 18 months ago and it was simple :)

How far are you from Tibenham? as I'll be there the weekend of the 21/22 May unless your coming to RR?

Vag-Com - If I we happen to cross Nige I might ask you to activate that on mine for a beer!

I haven't done mine yet, but I did it on a Golf 18 months ago and it was simple :)

How far are you from Tibenham? as I'll be there the weekend of the 21/22 May unless your coming to RR?

Can't make RR due to work. But I'm only 30 mins from Tibenham! But in may I will possibly be around if I'm not working!

Replaced the drivers window mechanism £21 from ebay :)

548AB78A-9C44-4AA3-B763-3533EE0ED9C2_zps

3191CBEB-CEDC-4EA0-B196-D30F2F2378D4_zps

The wire was a rats nest around the motor shaft, didn't get a picture of that, mainly as my hands were covered in grease n sh*te and the finger print reader on the phone didn't recognise my digit!!

Made a new membrane for the door panel from some laminated flooring underlay.

Set the auto door locking (anti hijack mode), now as soon as you go above 10mph the doors lock and remain locked till you switch the ignition off, 2 mins with VCDS :)

Fitted new centre air vents, as the previous owners has butchered the right vent to put the display unit for a Parrot C3100 handsfree in the outlet!!

That's what antihijack mode is! I wondered that, our vans at work have that too lol I personally don't like it as I have to keep unlocking the van when they are chucking their tools in the back or want to get in when I pick them up, I suppose it's better suited to a personal vehicle though

Nice work on the window mech and replacing vents :)

Yes it's ok for a personal car, but in a works/delivery van it would be a pain :( It will also auto unlock in the event of an accident that causes an airbag deployment :)

• 3 weeks later...

So this arrived yesterday

56418A73-3F19-4A9F-BDA7-AA6880CD6310_zps

needs some extra wiring fitting, speed from the front wheel ABS sensors an additional power supply and some connections to the speedo unit for fuel consumption signals ?? and then I need to source the nav CD

• Like 1

Did you have to cut the plastic part sitting at the back of the dash so the double din sits correctly, as I've been looking at one of these and doing away with the cup holders and I'm not using them.

Did you have to cut the plastic part sitting at the back of the dash so the double din sits correctly, as I've been looking at one of these and doing away with the cup holders and I'm not using them.

I haven't cut the support yet, but as you can see it's not sitting flush at the moment, there is something restricting it from going fully in, it might just be the rubber bumper over the extra earthing bolt, when I get the extra connector and the GPS aerial, I'll get it to go flush one way or another !!

• 2 weeks later...

So made a start on adding the additional wiring for the satnav.

Centre dash out

6BD9D378-5506-41AA-89FB-7FA76FF4F7EE_zps

31AA7D15-FF78-4D15-8274-9D20FF560210_zps

Need to run two wires to the ABS unit for the front wheel speed sensors another to the reverse gear switch (so it knows your going backwards!!) then it needs 3 wires to the speedo unit (something to do with the maxi-dot display??)

The mounting doesn't need any cutting for the unit to sit in it correctly :)

With all the plastic panels removed, it also gave a good opportunity to give them a proper clean, 13 years of smoke and general grime! so they have been soaked in the sink then gone over with washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush, they look like brand new now :)

On it's last MOT the handbrake was an advisory, "only just meets the minimum efficiency @ 17% " So had a look at the calipers and the operating arms are just about siezed solid !! So I've ordered two remanufactured calipers £75 the pair :) Skoda want £160 ea !!! Not wanting to replace them in my parking area as there is no room to work, the other residents park so close it's a struggle to get in the car, let alone work on it, so I've found a company in MK that hires out 2/4 post lifts in their unit, £15 for the first hr, £25 for 2hrs £40 for 3hrs, included in the price is access to hand tools, compressed air impact guns etc

• Like 1

Sounds like a Saturday afternoon at Polo Show job!

Could be, only it needs doing by next month :)

That's a bargain for using the ramp and equipment!

I does seem like a great idea, I'm going to call them in the morning to see if they are still in existance, as all the feedback seems to stop in 2014 ?? but the site is still online so I doubt they'd keep that running if they weren't still in buisness ??

Be careful when working on the rear calipers - I ended up replacing the ABS control unit (with a 2nd hand one) on an L&K.

When I removed an old caliper as the piston refused to wind back, the line ran dry over a week before I fitted the replacement - despite a piece of clingfilm under the reservoir cap and a golf tee stuck in the brake line. I used a Gunson pressure bleed system for the refill as I have on various cars with and without ABS; result no nearside rear brake.

Gave it to Skoda garage to refill with a vacuum bleed system and a computer managing the operation.

Even they could not get the system to reactivate with the computer controlled bleeding procedure. We could detect no damage to the valve or seal in the ABS unit, just the controller. Second hand controller sourced from Czech republic. Fitted, filled, activated, all fine.

When I did the Ibiza's, the caliper came pre-filled (great idea), so I quick-swapped them, then bled it and pulled fresh fluid through all four corners with a vac bleeder while my helper kept the fluid topped up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS020-Vacuum-Type-1-Ltr-Car-Bike-Brake-Clutch-Fluid-Bleeder-Kit-/201389611341?hash=item2ee3c1994d:g:NqEAAOSwEetWAock

That's the sort I use, it runs off the airline. The only criticism I will make is it doesn't 100% seal on the bleed nipple, so it always looks like you're pulling a tiny bit of air through. I gave it the final check the old fashioned way (bit of washer hose and a jam jar wish some fluid in) and it was totally bled all round.

Great tool, wish I'd bought one years ago. I don't get on with pressure bleeders (ones that go on the reservoir) at all.

"runs off the airline"

Does that need an air compressor to run it?

(or Ryanair)

Edited by dvderlm
  • Like 1

Yeah, it charges another £20 if you want to change your fluid from the one you booked in under.

Serious answer: yeah, it runs on the compressor, assume it's venturi effect as it seems to exhaust all the time it's in use.

I've got a hand operated vacuum bleeder, used it on the Ibiza last year when I replaced the front to rear pipes, but aslo did the conventional way just to be safe :)

I've just had an email from UPS the calipers will be delivered Thursday 14:00 ~ 18:30 so that's my afternoon sorted, sit and wait !!

Daft question for you - are those calipers you're selling the same as the ones you need for your octavia? Carriers aside, they look like the ones on a golf.

Daft question for you - are those calipers you're selling the same as the ones you need for your octavia? Carriers aside, they look like the ones on a golf.

No the Octy needs 41mm pistons and the ones I'm selling are 38mm

These are the newly rebuilt ones I'll be fitting Friday if I can get the ramps booked :)

A87BE2B8-2B15-4302-96FC-A55CCEBB1637_zps

• Like 2

They are the same piston size as the VRS ones, I just gave them the paint to look like the VRS, makes a change from the usual Red calipers :)