Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDi Estate Laurin & Klement

nige8021

So I've now gone over to the "Dark Side" with a nasty dirty oil burner !!

Picked this up, from Sheffield this afternoon, It needs a good clean (inside & out)

Skoda%20side%20copy_zpsuxjjfzgu.jpg

The interior colour (Babies nappy contents yellow !!) takes a bit of getting used to, but the heated leather front seats are so comfy especially with the heat on max :)

Skoda%20Dash%20copy_zpsywggcqtc.jpg

Skoda%20interior%20copy_zps89nimbfr.jpg

As it's the Laurin & Klement model it comes with just about all the option boxes ticked, Gas discharge headlights with headlight washers, trip computer (average consumption on the trip back from Sheffield 58.6 mpg) Cruise control ( such a great option going through the average speed check sections on the M1 ) 6 CD changer, Climate control, ABS/TCS, Leccy windows all round, leccy sunroof, plus some others I've yet to find!!

I'll get some better pics up after it's been cleaned :) These are from the sellers site

• Like 4

ahhh hearing aid beige! that takes me back to my mk1 fiesta, everything was beige, dash, carpets, seats door handles/cards the lot.

is this the pd130 engine?

ahhh hearing aid beige! that takes me back to my mk1 fiesta, everything was beige, dash, carpets, seats door handles/cards the lot.

is this the pd130 engine?

No that was fitted to later models with the 6 speed box, this has the 110bhp ASV, haven't driven an oil burner for a long time, but was surprised by the speed through the gears, just a bit flat when trying to accelerate from 60 in 5th

• Like 1

ah well that's my diesel knowledge base extended to max, never heard of the ASV engine tho never looked into the different VAG variants. , all i know is i bought an old dirty diesel passat pd130 as a cheap run about as was desperate for something at the time and two years on it still runs like a dream (168k on the clock) wish i had an estate tho for loading purposes but cant fault it other than that

My grandad had a 110bhp 1.9 in a passat I think which was an amazing engine, looks cool...although a strange contrast in colours it's different to your usual skoda!

Cruise control is boss going through average speeds and mpg surges lol nice little self xmas present to yourself

I had wanted the VRs estate, but A, they are not that common at a decent (low) price and B, this was the clincher, VRs £290 road fund & this demonic fuel version £130 :)

This has 188,200 on the clock and the engine/box seem like new, it's only when you come to traffic lights do you hear the clatter of the tractor engine, but as soon as your rolling it's as quiet as any petrol.

There are a few bits of trim that need refitting or replacing like the drivers door tweeter cover and the side cover for the central armrest, strange thing is the roof panel & lower tailgate are in matt black ??

The last stamp in the service book was in 2012 so it must be due a proper service (cambelt) even though it's on the "extended flexy service" plan ??

I've just been pricing up some leather dye for the seats, but then the door cards, dash, carpet & headliner would need to be replaced/painted ??

The other thing I'm going to have to remember is always use the disposable gloves when refuelling, I've washed/scrubbed my hands 4 times and I can still smell Satan's fuel !!!

• Like 1

Sounds like some good plans nige

And yeah there's nothing worse than the smell of diesel on your hands...the smallest drop is so strong and once it's on like you say the smell sticks lol

I've always loved the smell of petrol though [emoji14]

Very nice. Set the climate control to eco and you'll get more than that, but do use aircon even in winter such as for demisting screen or the seals will go hard.

Think you covered all the options but the interior reading lights and adjustable heated wing mirrors and some funny chrome pieces in the boot corners

which are for attaching a dog lead to.

I've got a be sharan with the 110bhp engine. I've had it for years and it's done 232k on the original clutch and exhaust. Just coming up to the fourth timing belt change.

• Like 1

Very nice. Set the climate control to eco and you'll get more than that, but do use aircon even in winter such as for demisting screen or the seals will go hard.

Think you covered all the options but the interior reading lights and adjustable heated wing mirrors and some funny chrome pieces in the boot corners

which are for attaching a dog lead to.

My Ibiza has climate control and before that I'd never of thought it was required in this country, but as you say even in the winter it defogs the car a lot quicker than the normal heater and on those rare hot summers day there's nothing nicer than putting it on full cold and sitting in comfort :)

• Like 1

I've got a 2002 Octavia saloon 1.9 TDi (Elegance) and I absolutely love it. Bought in August from an old boy who's had it from new. Meticulously taken care of and the cleanest, mintest cars i've owned. He even changed the headlight bulbs for no reason and used rainwater from his water butt for the washer fluid - he was that OCD!

Anyway, it's one of the best cars i've owned that's modern. Extremely practical and the 1.9 TDi is a fantastic engine. I know what you mean about the rattle on idle as well!

Happy Skoda-ing :)

Good choice. Personally, I think the older engines like you've got are much better made than the PD'S (like in mine :(). They're not as adverse to various alternatives to diesel either.

• 2 weeks later...

So today I started working through my defects list,

#1 Drivers leccy window inop.

I can hear the motor running so that only leaves the winder mechanism, door card off and found this

5A2FAEBA-D426-4596-A8EF-9034584AE21F_zps

and this

90755DB4-CE7C-4C10-B386-13BF590DCA54_zps

New mechanism ordered, I did the repair cable route on the Ibiza, you need about 6 hands !! so opted for the quick & easy complete mechanism :)

How much does the complete mechanism rob?

You've got to laugh at the ingenuity involved in some bodge car repairs when replacing what is broken would be so much easier lol

How much does the complete mechanism rob?

You've got to laugh at the ingenuity involved in some bodge car repairs when replacing what is broken would be so much easier lol

The complete mechanism was £21 the repair kit with just the cables & clips £14~18 so it was worth the small extra cost to not have the wrestling match trying to get the cables in the correct tension :)

• Like 2

Noticed a couple of nice little bits today

A clip for holding your parking ticket, so it doesn't get lost/blow off the dash

8F82E72E-5CF7-4676-A3D7-E51C0D291396_zps

You know when the sun (big yellow thing in the sky very occasionally) misses the end of your sun visor and not covered by the passengers one, there is this little strip that folds down to bridge the gap

37185544-C763-4E19-92F9-059BBD2E147F_zps

Also found it has front fogs, but they are not in the usual position in the bottom of the bumper cover, they are built into the headlights ??

Very nice touches they have added, they should have both of those on all new cars

As for the front fogs I think it's the same on the 6r polo, there is probably a loom there if you want em in the bumper though

Very nice touches they have added, they should have both of those on all new cars

As for the front fogs I think it's the same on the 6r polo, there is probably a loom there if you want em in the bumper though

The fogs in the headlight are only if it has discharge lights, the normal headlights have the fogs in the bumper and the wiring looms are totally different part numbers so I doubt there will be the connectors behind the bumper for separate fogs

Part number for the centre sunvisor 1U0858555A sun visor centre 1U0858555A Y20 pearl grey

Parking ticket clip 1U0867159A retainer for park ticket

• Like 1

Noticed a couple of nice little bits today

A clip for holding your parking ticket, so it doesn't get lost/blow off the dash

You know when the sun (big yellow thing in the sky very occasionally) misses the end of your sun visor and not covered by the passengers one, there is this little strip that folds down to bridge the gap

Also found it has front fogs, but they are not in the usual position in the bottom of the bumper cover, they are built into the headlights ??

Yea they look smart in the headlights mate, can run them at night to see more of the road. That middle sun strip is a life saver sometimes!

I assumed it didn't have front fogs, as I'd only seen the ones in the lower bumper, it was only by messing around to see what warning lights I could get on & when I pulled the switch out I got the two warning lights on, so went to look at the front and saw the "extra" bulb lit up in the headlights :)

Going to set the central locking to the "Anti-Hijack" mode tomorrow :)

• Like 1

I assumed it didn't have front fogs, as I'd only seen the ones in the lower bumper, it was only by messing around to see what warning lights I could get on & when I pulled the switch out I got the two warning lights on, so went to look at the front and saw the "extra" bulb lit up in the headlights :)

Going to set the central locking to the "Anti-Hijack" mode tomorrow :)

Vag-Com - If I we happen to cross Nige I might ask you to activate that on mine for a beer!

Module 46, coding, add or subtract 1 from the number to deactivate selective locking - VCDS will prompt you with coding options if its original. In same module 46, go to 10 adaptions then I think its group 5 and 6 for "auto lock" and auto unlock" change the 0 to 1 to activate each.