Sign in to follow this  
JordanNewton

Clicking and light dimming when heater is on (6R)

JordanNewton

Hi, I'm new to the forum just recently bought a 1.6 TDI polo 6r. Didn't notice it on test drive or on drive home however i seem to get a fault when the heater fans are on full the lights dim quickly and one of the relays clicks this wouldn't really bother me however when I get out of the car whilst its doing this it sounds like the engine is cutting intermittently. anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this i don't think the relay is faulty because if i turn the heater off and back on to half(2) the problem disappears. It feels like the fuel pump relay (449)

Thanks for any help.

Jordan.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vucxLm8-W9E

post-922994-0-87589200-1456344201_thumb.

Edited by JordanNewton

mick1987

Sounds like alternater isn't charging and battery going flat wit every fin on.

Or a dead cell in battery

wizardmanjm

Might be worth checking what regulator your alternator uses, I haven't looked for the 6r but most cars cost a couple quid off eBay and they are piss easy to change, if you remove your current one which is likely to be a couple screws you should see how long the brushes are, if they are fine I would look elsewhere.

Just my 2p worth which was advised to me once by a good fella

• Like 1

wizardmanjm

Just searched and they are 40 odd quid so a lot more on the 6r, I read that the bluemotion tdi alternators are very expensive as they generate a lot of voltage during engine braking etc so maybe that's the same alternator you have

Worth a look at the voltage regulator to check the brushes but I wouldn't buy one blindly at that price

dm222

My ibiza dimms when turning the steering, it's normal. It is that?

JordanNewton

Cheers for the reply. ill borrow a battery see if the issue persists if so then ill try the alternator regulator. praying its not the alternator apparently its got something called smart charge on it. looks kinda pricey. :-(

Thanks for your help.

JordanNewton

My ibiza dimms when turning the steering, it's normal. It is that?

No it will do it just whilst sat idling on the drive and one of the relays is clicking. my old polo used to dim when turning the steering.

nige8021

I would remove the fuse for the fan supply and put a multimeter in place of the fuse and see what current it's drawing, as it sounds like it's pulling the voltage down due to a heavier than normal current flow

• Like 1

JordanNewton

Hi everyone, thanks for your help I think it was the alternator regulator. When the lights were clicking the voltage was going higher than normal and dropping across the battery. Thanks for all your help I've got a new regulator on the way I'll let you know if it solves the issue.

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

wizardmanjm

How much did you pay for the regulator? they were pretty expensive for your model when I looked

JordanNewton

How much did you pay for the regulator? they were pretty expensive for your model when I looked

£46.36 off eBay pal. Phoned VW yesterday they wanted around £80 for one. Supposedly a new genuine Bosch one I order off eBay but I'll have to see. :)

wizardmanjm

Still a lot for a regulator lol mine was about 2.80 for the mk2 lol I hope this solves your problem, if not it's what nige suggested and you should get the old multimeter out

JordanNewton

I would remove the fuse for the fan supply and put a multimeter in place of the fuse and see what current it's drawing, as it sounds like it's pulling the voltage down due to a heavier than normal current flow

Still a lot for a regulator lol mine was about 2.80 for the mk2 lol I hope this solves your problem, if not it's what nige suggested and you should get the old multimeter out

Yes definitely need to try this if problem persists however almost certain it is the regulator. getting an error code on the diagnostics on central electrics atm so this this might be the issue.

Thanks Again

• Like 1