joe005

9N3 Electric Windows Not Working

Hobby2016

Dont like to tempt fate but, how are your windows ?
I took the plunge about a week ago and replaced the relay and capacitor on the window unit pcb. I also resoldered the joints on a few of the larger surface mount components and a couple of connector 0v joints. I was surprised, as a reasonably practised solderer, how difficult it was to get the r & c off. The 0v connections needed a fair bit of heat, presumably because there must be a thick "ground plane" taking the heat away.
Touch-wood the windows have been OK since, time will tell !
Unfortunately the central locking is as intermittent as ever so I've still got work to do. 
I'm trying to fault-find the drivers door lock ie microswitches, via the wiring, before doing all the work to take it off but its a bit tricky when the car doesnt stack up with any of the the wiring diagrams I've got (including Joe005's unfortunately).
I managed to drag the part number for the drivers door lock (3B2 837 016 AA) out of my local VW dealer. Does anyone know part numbers for the microswitches ?

joe005

My windows have been running fine for a few weeks now, no sign of intermittent function and all seems good.  The drivers window is a fair bit smoother and faster than the passenger side, which I would say operates normally; I'm attributing this to stripping down the motor and lubricating the parts.

I'm fairly adept with electronics (studied electronics but only use it as a hobbyist these days) and I agree, the relay and capacitor were very difficult to remove.  I pilot drilled the cap holes and used a higher temperature and voltage rated cap (it had slightly thicker legs), probably not necessary, but it does no harm.  I also re-soldered all of the larger joints... I can't put my finger on what fixed it, but one of those things seems to have done the trick; it may have just been the relay and cap replacement.

Once you pull out the CL motor, you may be able to use switch cleaner and get it running again if the microswitch is just crudded up.  I'm not sure how, but I read that they can get pretty mucky and this affects operation.  Good luck!

Hobby2016

Does anyone know the torque settings for

1) the two window glass clip/clamp bolts ie those accessed through the large holes in the door inner panel

2) the two door lock bolts ie those that hold the door lock to the door frame

3) the (20 off ?) bolts which hold the door inner panel to the door itself

nige8021

1) 10Nm

2) 20Nm

3) 8Nm

Hobby2016

Thanks for the torque figures - I particularly dont want to crack the window glass !

Further to my post of 2nd May, I'm glad to say that my electric windows are still working.

Since then I've carried on fault finding my intermittent central locking problem.

Although the wiring in my car was different to the 9n1/3 wiring diagrams, I decided that the blue/white wire in the drivers door-lock loom was the lock control wire. Online research suggested that the current in this wire determines whether the door lock locks or opens. During a period when the central locking WASNT working (using the drivers door key), I found that shorting the blue/white wire to ground, successfully locked the door, whilst connecting the same wire to ground through 120ohm  successfully opened the door.

I deduced that the door lock itself must be at fault. Because the cars courtesy light was working fine, I decided that the door locks "external" microswitch was OK so it must be a problem with one or all of the "undercover" pcb-mounted microswitches. However, I was unable to find a source of these Cherry components so I was stuck. As luck would have it, though, a new VW door lock assembly appeared on Ebay and I "won" it. So I decided to bite the bullet remove the door inner panel and replace the whole lock assembly.

Success ! Hooray !

Just to be sure, though, I think I'll wait a couple of weeks before replacing the door card !

NOTE: Whilst trying to find a source of the Cherry microswitches I came upon a very useful link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461-MKIV-door-locks-explained-why-you-re-having-problems!!!-(&highlight=jetta+door+lock#/forumsite/21302/topics/1542461?page=1

by VWVortex Moderator, Gary Thompson PH.D. In addition to describing a similar (Jetta) lock and its microswitches, the document indicated that failure of the solder joints on the door lock connector has produced similar faults to microswitch failures. I was hoping that this may be the cause of my problems (particularly as I hadnt found a source of the microswitches) but in the end I didnt have to strip the old lock down. I'll save that job for a winters day when I'm stuck indoors - I am interested to know what the fault was.

PS: Does anyone know a source of new, reasonably priced, electric mirror switches - 
6Q2 959 565H ?

Hobby2016

Monthly Report

All back together now !

Windows and Central Locking still working BUT...........

Over the last couple of weeks a problem has developed with the "feel" of the drivers lock (it didnt do it after the initial fitting). When locking the door, if the key is turned more than about 45° it "feels" as if the barrel of the lock is catching/binding on something  and something is about to break. I've had the barrel out and checked / WD-40'd it, but it doesnt have the problem on its own. I've also checked / WD-40'd the white plastic rotating part of the lock unit itself which mates to the barrel. Again no problem. I'm beginning to wonder if something is catching within  the lock unit (the motor drives some plastic cams etc) and this is felt in the key. However, to look at this means taking the lock unit out again... aargh!

The latest thought I've had is whether there is a "timing" problem with the electrics.

Does anyone know if I should have re-coded the system (?) after changing the lock - it is the correct latest part number but not the number on the unit which came out of the car.

suisspal
On 28/04/2016 at 21:43, joe005 said:

UPDATE

As of today the windows have both been working for over a week following the replacement of the ACT 512 relay and 100uF capacitor and a clean and lubrication of the motor (not sure if this was necessary for the repair).

I've been checking both windows each drive and drive and this seems to have resolved the issues.

hi ,

where can i found them please !!! i have the same problem :(

joe005
22 hours ago, suisspal said:

hi ,

where can i found them please !!! i have the same problem :(

You can find the details of the repair with photos in my post below:-

clooty

+1 for this post, just wondering if there have been any updates on this Joe? tried the same, replaced the capacitor for 100 uF with 50V rating, everything worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped, and now cant get anything to fire up after replacing fuses etc. I went on to change the relay although i don't think it will be at fault, hasn't given any progress however.

VW dealership quoting £170 for a new part, and the car is definitely not worth spending that amount of money on! between a couple of forums this seems to have worked for several other people as well though so good work i guess, just not doing it for me though. Will have to keep hunting through fleabay for a replacement with the 6Y1 part number!

Guest Dyhve Brake as we?
On 07/03/2016 at 12:13, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the forum.

Here's the wiring diagrams

9N3 Conv 1.pdf

9N3 Conv 2.pdf

9N3 Conv 3.pdf

9N3 Conv 4.pdf

9N3 Conv 5.pdf

9N3 Conv 6.pdf

9N3 Conv 7.pdf

9N3 Conv 8.pdf

9N3 Conv 9.pdf

9N3 Conv 10.pdf

9N3 Conv 11.pdf

9N3 Conv 12.pdf

There is a coding shown on your list for 4 power windows 00256

If you go to the coding on the module you should get a drop down menu that lists all the relevant options

90% of all VW door electrical faults are broken wires in the flexy rubber tube between the door and body

Jez9633
On 11/03/2016 at 18:18, joe005 said:

This afternoon I opened the drivers door and tested all the wires going into the motor, all were fine.

I pulled the fuses for both windows and when I put them back, the passenger side window worked, but only from the passenger side switch; drivers side still not working.

After locking then opening the car, the passenger window ceases to work, until I pull the fuse and replace it, then it works again.

Any ideas?

You will definitely need to replace the drivers side window motor this control unit does the job also for the passenger side also tried & tested myself yesterday as I have few polos for spares