poslowmk2

lowering ideas mk2 loon

poslowmk2

hi guys I've just bought a mk2 saloon and its currently at standard height and we cant have that can we, anyway I've heard the fronts are different from normal cars  how would i go about lowering it without cutting the springs  also what is the lowest i can go without my wheels hitting the arches id prefer coilovers if i can still on the standard wheels btw

thanks

kwijibo_coupe

Coilovers for these cars are expensive due to the design of the fronts. They start at £350 for the cheapest of the cheap and quickly go towards £1000 for better sets.

There are plenty of fixed height spring and shock kits out there for these which are much more wallet friendly. 

poslowmk2

yeah i cant find any cheaper than that even the ebay ones. what height would you suggest going to i want it noticeably low cos if I'm spending money it better make a difference but not low enough that the wheels will hit the arches sorry about all the questions on here its my 1st polo lol

kwijibo_coupe

On standard wheels you can go 80mm down which are the lowest kits and not really have any issues apart from maybe the exhaust if the mounts are worn and tired.

Although the cheap 80mm kits have literally solid shocks so they are not comfy at all. 

You could always look into mixing and matching springs and shocks. The cheap springs are actually OK if combined with decent shocks. Bilstein shocks can be had for reasonable money from Demon Tweeks. And you'll find the cheap springs for peanuts on eBay.

poslowmk2
14 minutes ago, kwijibo_coupe said:

On standard wheels you can go 80mm down which are the lowest kits and not really have any issues apart from maybe the exhaust if the mounts are worn and tired.

Although the cheap 80mm kits have literally solid shocks so they are not comfy at all. 

You could always look into mixing and matching springs and shocks. The cheap springs are actually OK if combined with decent shocks. Bilstein shocks can be had for reasonable money from Demon Tweeks. And you'll find the cheap springs for peanuts on eBay.

ok then thanks alot for your advice I'm not too worried about comfort as its going to be a weekend toy but ill look into the decent shocks

cheers