Griff's Polo GTI

griff

that's quite a hike! will you be getting the brakes beefed up too?

mine is in the garage today - I hope they find out where the clunk noise is coming from as they've given me an 'Up' to drive in the meantime (& it's shit :D )

not felt the need yet for more power but will follow your progress with interest. will it still pass an MOT with the decat?

10 hours ago, griff said:

that's quite a hike! will you be getting the brakes beefed up too?

mine is in the garage today - I hope they find out where the clunk noise is coming from as they've given me an 'Up' to drive in the meantime (& it's shit :D )

not felt the need yet for more power but will follow your progress with interest. will it still pass an MOT with the decat?

I may do the brakes eventually but will see what they hold up. Need sort suspension, possibly brakes, and I feel I may need to eventually do the clutch but hoping it holds up well. 

Going to try make my own air filter too. Been told you can't improve over original air box but I really disagree.. I just think the garage are saying that as a bit of a stalling tactic. Got an idea in mind.. Seen things similar but this should be better. May need sacrifice a fog light though :D

And with the de-cat.. Probably won't pass, but it all depends on who you know.. But I only need worry about that in 3 years :tongue:

I don't know any shady MOT garages but maybe I should start asking around :D

Was told yesterday that VW have ordered a new set of brake pads to see if that was the issue (I highly doubt that tbh but we'll see)

Missing my Polo quite badly now

5 hours ago, griff said:

I don't know any shady MOT garages but maybe I should start asking around :D

Was told yesterday that VW have ordered a new set of brake pads to see if that was the issue (I highly doubt that tbh but we'll see)

Missing my Polo quite badly now

turns out I was wrong - set of new pads and everything is perfect :)
it appears that one of the inner pads was sticking or something, never had an issue with performance & noise was very slight - but once you start fixating on it the OCD alarm keeps going off

local garage has 2 black GTIs up for sale ( so now I've seen 6 in real life)

neither brand new but both up for significantly more than I paid...

At least you have managed get it sorted without it being anything major! I know a few of the DSGs have been having gearbox issues. And that's the issue with smaller garages - tend to charge more than the main dealers with the discounts you can get from new! 

5 hours ago, NickHardcastle said:

At least you have managed get it sorted without it being anything major! I know a few of the DSGs have been having gearbox issues. And that's the issue with smaller garages - tend to charge more than the main dealers with the discounts you can get from new! 

When I said local garage I meant the local dealer, sorry

I bought mine online via drivethedeal though, meant it came from another dealer the other side of London but saved a bunch ;)

Add on a free year's insurance and cheap servicing & worked out pretty good

• 3 weeks later...

Up to nearly 3000 miles now and loving it

probably shouldn't be driving it so much tbh but right now it seems rude not to 

:D

• 3 weeks later...
On 29 August 2016 at 23:15, griff said:

Up to nearly 3000 miles now and loving it

probably shouldn't be driving it so much tbh but right now it seems rude not to 

:D

Snap! Over 7500 on mine now.. Only got it end of March :D

Edited by NickHardcastle
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Little update seeing as I'm approaching 9500 miles and will be putting the car in for its first service soon..

Still having way more fun than in the old BMW (love the combination of small size/rapid progress :D ) & on occasion surprised a few pushy T$%£s who were trying it on but obviously not familiar with the GTI's turn of speed. Only thing I really missed about the previous car really was the steering feedback, but having had time to get to know where the limits of grip are helped to close that gap a good deal. Overall very happy with the performance - would always be nice to go quicker but not in a rush to upgrade anything, maybe once the warranty runs out I'll fiddle with the ECU/exhaust a bit

Economy has been fine, if I'm on a gentle motorway cruise can get quite a respectable number out of it but a more average average is still over 30MPG

Found that I never really use the sport button but very glad I have it as an option - in Sport mode it's very jumpy all the time unless you're on a glass-smooth road, running in Normal helps loads - especially with passengers on board

Also the carnet app is great as a convenience feature - for both navigation and music straight from the phone (and having it read out your messages is pretty funny when it gets to describing each emoji) This should be a standard feature on all cars!

• 2 months later...

Almost a year in and still looking good - ok it's covered in bugs but so would you be if you'd just done 126 miles

B34A0953-E313-4317-B45E-05545F65D2E9_zps

82F0E255-8C3A-4E83-A0DC-C7DA47A6FD96_zps

• 1 month later...

Had car in the garage for just over a week (!) while they investigated the creaky door rubbers

After lots of calls to the technical guys they concluded that new rubbers wouldn't do anything, neither would more krytox, so they used some kind of plastic film normaly used on Audis on the underside of the doors. Also inserted some kind of padding somewhere.
Keith from Windrush Slough was very good and genuinely concerned to get everything right

Car is really quiet now so very happy, even happier to get back in the tartan driver's seat after a week driving an automatic TSI loan car!

I see that photobucket have ruined this thread (b******s) so will have to reupload some pics directly when I get a minute

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/08/2016 at 11:13, NickHardcastle said:

I'm up to 6200 since end of March - can't stop driving it! :D Getting more power for mine end of September.. Stage 2 map, downpipe and de-cat. Intercooler on order too. Should be pushing 280hp.. Deffo won't stop driving it then :tongue:

280hp Nice! Will the standard clutch handle that power? I've heard they're fine up to about 260 but that could have been people talking about the previous model I dunno! Saw a video of one with a hybrid turbo and race clutch running 330hp! ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 19:04, andy-durning said:

280hp Nice! Will the standard clutch handle that power? I've heard they're fine up to about 260 but that could have been people talking about the previous model I dunno! Saw a video of one with a hybrid turbo and race clutch running 330hp! ?

I've kept it at 265bhp at the moment on standard clutch. It slips if I really push it hard with constant launches / hammering it about but day to day driving it's fine. I've got an IS20 turbo sat at home which should take it around 320bhp mark, however, there is on with the IS38 turbo running 386 bhp I believe.. The same company I think are now trying to break the 400bhp barrier. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After several happy uneventful weeks I had a high speed puncture yesterday on the M40

Thankfully no dramas apart from a severe case of arse twitchery as I coaxed it to the hard shoulder

IMG_3913.JPG

Then it was time for the shame of having the space saver wheel on for the rest of the journey, travelling at 50 mph and being overtaken by caravans 

After 15000+ miles the rears were hardly worn, but the fronts were wearing a bit on the insides so decided to swap them all out for Continental Sportcontact 3s (best option I could find 120 miles from home at 3pm on a Saturday!)

Also had the alignment sorted as that's what appeared to be causing the excessive tyre wear)

Once the new boots are scrubbed up a bit will see if I can notice much difference to the OG tyres

• 4 months later...