Sign in to follow this  
rustnroll

16v 1.4 Overhaul

rustnroll

Sooo, did a complete overhaul on my 1.4 16v. Clutch, timing belt, drivebelt, had to rebore manifold threaded holes as they were knackered.

Turned it on for the first time yesterday and it made some horrible noises.

I think I have messed up the timing as when the engine turned over the first few times it sounded as if the pistons or maybe valves were pumping/operating at a much higher speed than the engine. Very strange. Also with the top cam cover off the belt spins slower than the drivebelt. I am confused and also concerned.

HELP?!

wizardmanjm

Can you post a video to explain this perhaps through photobucket or on tapatalk?

Have you got enough oil in? When you fill the engine with oil it will appear level on the dip stick until you start the engine and it starts to circulate then it appears you need to add more as it will more than likely fall below mimmimum on the dip stick

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

steveo3002

first thing i would do is turn it over with a spanner and double check the timing marks ...then check again to be sure

rustnroll

Thanks guys.

How do go about resetting everything to TDC and be sure that it is? 

steveo3002

surley you checked this when fitting the belt ?

anyway turn the engine with a spanner on the crank and watch for the marks to line up  , haynes manual should should you the marks , there will be one on the crank and another on the cams , they need to line up exactly otherwise the valves hit the pistons   

rustnroll

I checked but not thoroughly enough. Assumption is a dangerous and stupid thing. Thank you for the advice. I'm gonna go play and see if I can get this back to normal. 

steveo3002

good chance its done damage if you tried it with the belt on wrong ,  i always spend an extra 10 mins and check it again just to be 100% sure

rustnroll

thanks for all the help guys, the beast is running!