Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

My first car

6RPOTENTIALBUYER

6RPOTENTIALBUYER

Hi guys,

Got my first car, it's the bog standard Polo S, 1.2 60hp with 15" Cadiz Alloy wheels (So happy to have alloys and not the steel wheels)

I'm really happy with it, for a 16 year old it's quite a nice car, just a shame I have to wait until I'm 17 to drive it :(.

Here are some of the mods I'm hoping to do (I'd love to get some R-line/Blue GT bumpers but insurance prices go crazy)

Add an Aux to the RCD 210

Upgrade the speakers and add some sound deadening (No crazy subwoofer though)

Add the garage door opener

Get the 3 rear windows tinted

Add a gloss black vinyl wrap to the roof

Maybe retrofit the foglights 

Spray paint/vinyl wrap the interior trim gloss black

Paint or vinyl wrap the mirrors black or white (Can't decide)

Add some white LED licence plate lights

And proabably some more

I know it's not crazy but insurance really limits what you can do to your car. Even bog standard with the black box/ telematics box is going to cost me £1200. Hopefully with these small mods I can at least get the ball rolling haha.

Oh yeah has anyone had any experience with this adapter https://everythingautomotivediy.wordpress.com/diy-install-aux-in-cable-for-volkswagen-rcd-210/ It basically tricks the RCD210 into thinking that it's playing CD's when it's just converted it into an aux, not too sure if it's any good or just a waste of money. I really want to keep the OEM look because I don't like the bright lights that come on aftermarket stereos and the RCD510 costs £££ and then you have to mess about with anti-theft codes. I only want to connect my iPod to my car.

Anyway it'd be nice to hear some other mods that won't make insurance company's lose their sh*t haha

Crappy iPhone images attached :) (This was the day I got the car so it's long overdue a claybar and waxing)

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6RPOTENTIALBUYER

• Yousniff

• Steve91

• Jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys,   Got my first car, it's the bog standard Polo S, 1.2 60hp with 15" Cadiz Alloy wheels (So happy to have alloys and not the steel wheels) I'm really happy with it, for a 16 yea

Posted Images

wizardmanjm

I forgot how basic the entry model was lol, no steering wheel functions or mirror caps [emoji14]

None the less it looks tidy, your insurance is cheap mate my first car was 1900 for a 106 lol

Plans sound decent and I would personally go white for the mirrors, the cup kits look awesome on these but I guess insurance will increase the same as with r line stuff fitted. Also I don't know if you knew but VW offer lowering springs which won't void the warranty, quite expensive for a 30mm drop but it could be something to have a look at :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nice first car.  Mine was a mk1 fiesta that I then left the handbrake off and it gently rolled into a house but it still kept going after this, but it was proper rubbish.

AlexDiliberto

Yes. Another 1.2 polo s in the building👌👌. I would definitely do a Bluetooth hands free. I've got a parrot in mine and I can play music and make calls. Even comes with an aux cable and a USB port. So it's definitely worth it however it's something in the range of 100£ depending on where you get it

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

6RPOTENTIALBUYER

Haha I am really fortunate to have a car like this as my first, so much for doing most of these mods, Direct Line who quoted £1200 won't even let me tint the windows or vinyl wrap the roof black! And you can forget the idea about upgrading the speakers :( It's not worth the risk undeclaring the mods though especially when you're 17. I suppose I'll just have to wait or find another insurer who will allow it (Unlikely). I'm going ti have a shot at using VCDS to make the RCD210 recognize the Aux. I saw this video on YouTube and you can buy the cable for £3 from china so it's worth a shot. 

nige8021

The £3 cable from China alone will not allow you do any reprogramming, you will need the full version of VCDS & the cable will need to be the HEX-CAN not just the basic "K" one, the free downloaded "Lite" version doesn't permit any re-coding, so you will need to pay $99 for a licence key from Ross-Tech

6RPOTENTIALBUYER
35 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

The £3 cable from China alone will not allow you do any reprogramming, you will need the full version of VCDS & the cable will need to be the HEX-CAN not just the basic "K" one, the free downloaded "Lite" version doesn't permit any re-coding, so you will need to pay $99 for a licence key from Ross-Tech

Well that was a waste of £3 haha, thought it was a bit too good to be true. Oh well, thanks for letting me know 

Nice car! Good colour choice :P

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and my insurance really limits me to what I can do, so you've listed most of the things I've done :D

I do recommend changing to the RCD510 though. It only cost me £90 off ebay, and it came with the radio codes supplied. The big double din touch screen really smartens up the interior too. It also comes with the USB input, and a 6 CD Changer.

I also de-tangoed the whole car, and it made a hell of a difference!

6RPOTENTIALBUYER
On 6/25/2016 at 22:00, Steve91 said:

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and my insurance really limits me to what I can do, so you've listed most of the things I've done :D

I do recommend changing to the RCD510 though. It only cost me £90 off ebay, and it came with the radio codes supplied. The big double din touch screen really smartens up the interior too. It also comes with the USB input, and a 6 CD Changer.

I called up Direct Line who quoted me £1200 and they want another £250 for the RCD510 because it increases my risk. I get that it does but it really limits what you can do with the car, I wouldn't want to run the risk of having things undeclared even if they look factory. As much as I'd love to get the RCD510 I think it might just be easier (And cheaper) to find someone who can code in the Aux to the RCD210, I just need to find someone haha. Do you know if it's possible to retrofit the RCD310?

Edited by 6RPOTENTIALBUYER
  • 1 month later...

Really nice clean canvas for you, for a first car too. When your insurance comes down you can begin the mods :D

I've always declared everything too, usually doesn't cost much more either! Have a try of the insurers on the forum, members get discount!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi,

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
6RPOTENTIALBUYER

I've put some though into it and for £90/100 I think I'll go for the RCD510. Is it a simple plug and play or will it need to be coded in? I'm not worried about using all the features I just want my Aux haha I've tried looking for some detailed articles but I couldn't find anything, they only really show before and after photos. 

When I swapped the stereo for an RNS510 in my mk6 golf, I had to recode it. It depends what car the stereo originally came from and if that car had premium speakers, extra amp under the seat etc. It's not difficult to do you just need to get the right cable and licence. If you're local to Kent you can use mine

6RPOTENTIALBUYER
14 hours ago, gaz56 said:

When I swapped the stereo for an RNS510 in my mk6 golf, I had to recode it. It depends what car the stereo originally came from and if that car had premium speakers, extra amp under the seat etc. It's not difficult to do you just need to get the right cable and licence. If you're local to Kent you can use mine

Thanks for the offer but I live in Portsmouth so it's a bit of a trek for me. Does the RCD310 have aux capabilities and would it also need to be coded in (I would love it to be plug and play). the RCD310 can be had for £60 so I might go for that instead seeing as I won't use the RCD510 features. I've looked into it a bit more and it looks like I'll need a fakra adpater from eBay because the RCD210 only has one ariel and the RCD310 has 2 ariels so the adapter is needed for FM/AM to work. Also which parts will I need to retrofit the Aux to the RCD310?

6RPOTENTIALBUYER

So I've been a bit busy over the past few weeks doing some small mods, really want to get a gloss black vinyl roof and the 3 rear windows tinted now but I'll have to find out with insurance companies.
Couple of questions...
Should I get my 15" Cadiz alloy wheels refurbished and painted grey, specifically BMW Ferric grey?
I'd like to upgrade the speakers in my front doors so that they have a bit more bass and the tweeters in the A pillars. I don't want to change the headunit and I'm not interested in having a subwoofer in the car so what should I look for, I just want to change out the factory speakers to something a bit nicer, what should I do? (Advice on this would be very appreciated even though it's beaten to death as a topic :oops:  )

Anyway here are my little mods so far, I've included the [cost] because a lot of people would like to do some cheap mods but don't know what to do.

Mirrors have gone from the ugly plain plastic.
IMG_3459.jpg
To a slick gloss black, painted by yours truly which I'm so pleased with. [~£10]
IMG_3572.jpg
A great link here showing you how paint plastic, takes time but the results are brilliant. http://www.pugaddicts.co.uk/2012/06/complete-guide-to-painting-plastic-car.html

I changed the AC controls for the nicer chrome finish, compared to the gloss black which I didn't like. [Free! From a local junkyard]
IMG_3575.jpg

I painted the plastic on the tailgate logo gloss black which makes it look like the Polo 6C. [Left over material from mirror caps]
IMG_3589.jpg
Really like how this looks, it's a small change but you notice it every time you open the boot.
IMG_3610.jpg

I upgraded the gear knob to the one found on the Polo 6C, the old one was getting a bit tatty [£5 local junkyard]
IMG_3603.jpg

I also upgraded my RCD210 to the RCD310 because I really wanted an Aux input. [£35]
IMG_3674.jpg
Here's a link showing how I did it. http://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68687

I have posted the same thing on the UK Polo's forum but there are different users on each site so I'd like to get opinions on both :)

• 1 month later...
6RPOTENTIALBUYER
On 9/28/2016 at 16:14, Yousniff said:

nice car bro just bought myself the same as you but 5dr, how hard was it to paint the boot handle and how did you get the mirror caps off?

Painting it yourself is pretty easy, I just used the cheap £1 stuff and it's holding up really well. I followed this guide on painting plastic http://www.pugaddicts.co.uk/2012/06/complete-guide-to-painting-plastic-car.html .

The boot badge is easy to remove, you just pull of the plastic panel on the boot and undo 3 torx screws and it's off. Here's a guide http://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=58278

The mirror caps are dead simple, pull the glass off, then undo 2 clips that hold it on and job done. Video linked.

I would say that you definitely need a full week to paint this stuff. Make sure you sand it down properly and wait this long once you've fully painted one stage. 2 days primer, 3 days colour coat and 2 days clear coat. So once you've finished painting the primer, leave it for two days etc. Don't try to rush it over the weekend because it will end up looking sh*t.

• 1 month later...
6RPOTENTIALBUYER

Just an update to the mod's I have done.

Put some magnets behind the blank plates for switches on the dash so I can magnetically mount my iPhone in the car (for use as a sat nav) 
IMG_1328.jpg

I've also added an iPhone dock, I broke apart my iPhone 5S dock to see what I could do. This mod didn't turn out as clean as I'd hoped but at least I can charge my phone and play music at the same time.
IMG_1336.jpg

I installed the Focal IS 165VW set. compared to standard with the RCD310 unit there is a noticeable difference but now the drivers side door has a rattle when you play any song with a bit of bass :evil:  (Anybody who has had this problem please help)
IMG_1329.jpg

I also had the windows tinted, these are a 'factory tint'. I love the way this mod looks especially on a white car :D
Before
IMG_1337.jpg
After
IMG_1331.jpg

Mods I'm looking to do in the future are...
R-line gloss black grille 
R-line rear roof/tailgate spoiler and side skirts
16" Mallory or 16" Salvador or 17" Montani Alloy's
Leather/Alcantara seats

If anyone has the above parts for sale then please let me know :)

• 3 months later...

Hello mate, i just got rid of my 5dr Moda and got a 3dr GTI how much were tints if you dont mind me asking looking to get mine done

• 2 weeks later...
6RPOTENTIALBUYER
On 3/18/2017 at 14:06, Yousniff said:

Hello mate, i just got rid of my 5dr Moda and got a 3dr GTI how much were tints if you dont mind me asking looking to get mine done

Hey bud, 

Congrats on the new car! Where are the pics??

The tints on my car cost £124 inc. VAT. The guys at South Coast Tints did a great job and I absolutely love it. I went for the 'factory tints' and it's a nice OEM style.

6RPOTENTIALBUYER

Quick update as to what I've done...

New grille. Went from the old plain plastic one.
IMG_3910.jpg

To the much nicer gloss black one  8) 
IMG_3911.jpg

I also have some cool new R-line shoes :mrgreen:
Big thanks to user LMM who I purchased these from :wink:
IMG_3912.jpg

I also upgraded the steering wheel from the fake leather one to the real leather one, And I've upgraded the pedals to the Audi A1 S line pedals. Which were such a pain to fit!
IMG_3913.jpg

I vinyl wrapped the sides of the steering wheel in gloss black with 3M 1080 vinyl. Looks so much better than the standard finish (And should hopefully tie in with a future mod :wink: )
IMG_3914.jpg

To do list/want list:
-Leather seats (nightmare trying to source a good used set at a reasonable price)
-Gas strut for bonnet
-OEM Lowering springs
-Gloss black interior trim
-Footwell lights
-R-line spoiler
-Fog lights (OEM)