SAS96

2006 1.2 Polo Engine Management Light + Other Issues

SAS96

Hi

I have a 2006 Polo E 1.2 which I have owned for around 6 weeks. It has been fairly sound apart from a few odd things. However today I had a 25 mile run on the motorway where midway through the journey the Engine Management Light started flashing, it then went solid. The engine itself runs fine, no odd noises or smells.

I have had an issue where the car looses revs and starts shaking like-a-crazy when in traffic or idle. This is intermittent and is usually fixed by turning the car off and on. But it could be related?

There is a strange knocking sound when I start the Polo this also comes again when changing from 1st to 2nd gear but not after that. Also related?

Finally the EDP light comes on before ignition and does not turn off unless I start the car. Any ideas what thats all about? 

I really hope one of you guys could help me out particularly if you've had the similar issues with the 1.2 3cyl engine, I will get it to a mechanic as soon as I can but sadly Im a bit busy at the moment. I just seriously hope the car doesn't need to have a new engine or anything else major.:-( 

nige8021

First thing to do is get the fault codes read, as this will assist in the fault finding, but these engines do suffer with misfires being detected, and it could be a simple coil pack playing up or at worst a damaged valve ( common problem !! )

SAS96

Cheers once again Nige. I took it to my local mechanic and he plugged in the OBD reader which said there was a misfiring cylinder. He swapped out a new coil pack for the offending cylinder and the light went, so far so good but hopefully this did the trick. 

I seriously hope this works many have reported that changing the pack does nothing, a damaged valve sounds like a big job and many have suffered from it on other forums. 

Thanks.