ironicallyindie

2001 6n2 - engine damage due to cam belt slip

ironicallyindie

My timing belt slipped and at least 8 of the 16 valves are damaged.

Also have a problem with my gear linkages, and the mechanic said I may as well replace the clutch if they sort out the gear linkages.

Water pump will also need replacing.

Estimated cost is at least £2000, I bought the car for £1700. Is it worth repairing, or is there a better option to get it fixed?

If I don't get it fixed, I'll try to sell it as non-runner, as the car only has about 42 000 miles on it and is in great condition.

Elijah

That's some bad luck was it on the original timing belt?

if it's the 75bhp engine then it may be worth swapping the engine over for another one or at least getting a few quotes to repair.  

However if it's not the linkages and the box needs replacing then it's a lot of money to spend on something that's only worth £1000.

vwfan3

Hi

If the head has been removed to check the valves, then new valves and a new head gasket is the best option for about £300 including labour.

Leave the clutch related items for another day.

As a non-runner, you will not get more than £100.

ironicallyindie

@Elijah I think it was the original timing belt, I was going to book the car in for a major service that next week, and then it happened.
It's really embarrassing, but I'm not 100% sure if it is the 75bhp engine, it's the SE model, and it shows as being 2001, although it was first registered in 2004. First owner had it in Guernsey, so maybe that explains that. Need to check the documents.

Do you have any recommendations of where I could quotes from to have the engine swapped?

@vwfan3 Wow, where would do that for so little?
Really? I didn't think it would be that bleak... Now I'm strongly considering getting it fixed rather.