Sign in to follow this  
ZoleeG40

Polo G40 clutch pedal sticks

ZoleeG40

Anyone had this problem (Mk2/Mk2f owners)? My clutch pedal sticks to the floor when fully pressed, after a sec or so it starts to come up and bangs back if my foot is not on it.

The clutch doesn't slip, but every red lamp start is pain and concentration. I seem to be a learner.  :)

It seems to be working when full cold, but will stick when the engine gets warmer.

I will do a full clutch job in a week, but would I need to change something else also?

Cheers!

Yeti

Could be just the cable. get someone the press the clutch and watch what the clutch arm is doing while it's stuck. my guess is it will start to return, but the cable will be holding it back.

ZoleeG40

OK, will do it... but I changed the cable about a year ago.

caretakerplus

If it isn't the cable that is causing your problem, it is most likely that the sleeve over which the release bearing slides, has developed a wear ridge on it - this is a fairly common problem, so make sure that you at least check it when you 'do' the clutch and replace it if there is a ridge on it - they are not expensive.

Regards

ZoleeG40
On 2016. 10. 29. at 18:04, caretakerplus said:

it is most likely that the sleeve over which the release bearing slides

Thanks for the idea! Will replace that also... as the clutch replacement is next week.

Edited by ZoleeG40

steveo3002

while its apart id disconect the pedal and confirm it works freely on its own , and then slide the cable and feel for any notchy bits

id guess its the sleeve that it slides on ...need a funny little spline socket for it

ZoleeG40

Just the follow up.

Thanks Yeti, it was the cable... I was driving to buy the clutch components when I heard a huge "bang".

First I thought that the clutch pedal broke.... then I saw it was not on the floor. :) I knew it was the clutch cable. There was a part store about in 500m where I broke down.
Went and bought a cable. Luckily I had a #10 wrench in my car, so I replaced the cable by the road... the clutch was working as fine as it should had.
I did not have to do the full clutch job.

Now I know if the clutch sticks almost definitely the cable is the problem. :)

Yeti

Always worth keeping one under the spare wheel for next time, given the quality of pattern parts these days.