mk2f 1.0 GT camshaft upgrade help

Mk2f1998

Hi everyone,

i have a 92' mk2f which has a 1.0 engine. its really fun and surprisingly nippy. Ive been thinking about doing some engine upgrades and don't want to do something extravagant as a) i don't have the experience or the masses of time required and b) the money. When i bought my car the previous seller gave me a gt camshaft which he bought to put into the engine however never got round to it.  My 1.0 is really clean and smooth and is the reason to why i don't feel reluctant to tamper with it however i really want some gains.  if i was to put the cam in

My questions are 

is it worth it the power gains?

will it cause any future issues with engine, timing, startups ect. (i really don't want to open the engine up to have to face issues in the future just because the engine is so clean being only a 60k)

is it a simple mod to do? labour costs ( i would try myself however I'm stuck with loads of uni work and I'm not experienced enough)

has anyone done this before?

thanks to everyone that can help :) 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwijibo_coupe

• Mk2f1998

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapping the cam is an easy enough job especially if you are planning on tackling the cambelt, which at 60k (unless you have history of it being done in the last couple years) I'd be doing for peace of mind. 

In a 1.0 they can give decent gains, make the engine a bit more rev happy but don't expect it to turn into a rocket ship. 

Apart from the work of fitting the cam there are no drawbacks to the mod.

With fitting the cam you may also want to look into fitting the inlet manifold and SPI unit from a 1.3 as this also makes a difference.

Before even considering swapping the cam double check the part number, I've seen a lot of cams sold on as 'GT' cams over the years but there seems to be too many standard GT engines around to make this possible. You should see '030AF' stamped along the shaft between a set of lobes.

Finally there is a guide on here but I would personally avoid the part about cutting the cam cover and just remove the sprocket if you can.