Sign in to follow this  
Onefut

under powered 1.4 auto 75hp. Help/advice please

Onefut

Hi Folks

Been mooching around here for a while but this is my first post, some good info on here :)

Bought my daughter a cheap 2006 1.4 S Auto with 95k on the clock anyway turned out it needed a replacement engine as was down on compression
Replaced the BKY engine with a BBY, just blanked off the egr port and used the bky inlet and exh manifold
Anyway it ran loads better but is still under-powered, Struggle up hills and on the dual carriage way it struggles to get enough umph to get up into 4th it'll do 70mph but you gotta get there using 3rd and only goes into 4th when you back off the the throttle,

This is what else I've done
Checked  Air box and it's is fine and has new air filter,
New fuel filter,
Swapped the fuel injectors for a set off the other engine,
New trans filter and fluid then drained and refilled atf after a few hundred miles (GJG auto box)
None of the brakes are binding,

I've got VCDS and it's bringing up no codes except the for the V154 heating flap, Which I need to replace, 

Wondering if it could be low fuel pressure although I thought that would throw up a code or poss cat blockage although there's plenty of exhaust gasses coming out the back.

Any help or advice appreciated

Perhaps it's just what these motors are like, maybe they're just underpowered

Thanks

Edited by Onefut

dvderlm

If compression was down on old engine I imagine oil will  have flowed past  the rings, and maybe been topped up too much.  So clogged cat is  likely  to be the case and cause.

Onefut

Aye maybe

Think I'll clean out the first cat an see if that improves things

Onefut

So I emptied the first cat today and Its working a treat, 

seems the lack of power was the cat being somewhat blocked

Although the gearbox seems to be a bit glitchy now but seems to be  settling so hope it's just getting used to having some power going through it

nige8021

It might pay to change the transmission fluid and filter pack, that should give it a new lease of life :)

Onefut

It's had a new filter and fluid then a 2nd fluid drain and refill after a few hundred miles

Running great now since I emptied the cat

Onefut

turned 1st cat was blocked

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• strelleymagpie
      By strelleymagpie
      My 6n2 automatic has just started playing up this morning. It starts ok and will pull away, but then shakes and judders at low speeds especially when standing at lights etc. When I pull away it feels like there's no power, and seems to take ages to change gear. I was going up a hill at 40mph earlier and by the time I got to the top I was barely doing 15mph. The car has only just had a service and MOT 3 weeks ago. I have no idea what's wrong!!
    • strelleymagpie
      By strelleymagpie
      Hi, I have a 2000 6n2 1.4 automatic polo that seems to be idling at very low revs (around 650-750 rpm) and is frequently starting to cut out when I'm stationary such as waiting at lights. Putting the gearbox into park and re-starting the engine gets me going again, but it has happened in the middle of some quite busy junctions and I'm pretty worried. I had a new battery about 4 months ago, and have plenty of fuel so I don't think it's anything to do with that. The first time it cut out was just over a month ago and it's happened 3 or 4 times since. Anybody have any idea what it could be?
    • DinksDad
      By DinksDad
      My '98 1.4 Auto has only done 72k.
      But the gearbox has started messing around.
      On first drive from cold in mornings, it take a while to change up (have to lift off throttle to get it to change).
      And sometimes on slow speeds it seems to go into neutral, and suddenly jumps into gear.

I've heard the gearbox fluid can be changed, but how?
      Are the electronic solenoids changeable?
      Is the anything that can be checked firstly?

Cheers.

• emisnug
      By emisnug
      A rather annoying problem has turned up - and it's only an occasional one, but very dangerous when it happens. 

I'll be driving along, 60ish - about the 3k RPM mark, and suddenly, the engine will cough, all of the warning lights will come on for about .2 of a second, and all of my power goes. If I'm accelerating, it means that I can't complete the maneuver. 

Plugged it into a VAGCOM reader, there are no fault codes. 

Any clues?
    • Shaneosmond
      By Shaneosmond
      Hi all! Pretty new here and looking for some information before I get to work!

I have a 1999 vw polo 6n 1.4cl 8v automatic (no haters) I'm going to do a cbr600 bike carb conversation but I'm curious as to wether this is going to work with an automatic??? My main concern being the gears, due to it being automatic it has kick down and wondering if this is going to course any trouble? Not sure wether it's a complete different thing or not, but when kick down is activated is it to do with the acceleration cable system or through a button near the pedal? Any help would be appreciated guys

Thanks ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines