CorbinOrchard

MK4 9n3 1.2 12v turbo??

CorbinOrchard

hi everyone, 

So I wanted a car that was cheap on insurance and can produce a crazy amount of power for its engine size,

you can call me crazy but I have bought another 2008 1.2 12v polo for £500 with only 20000 miles on the clock.

I really want to turn this little polo into something special, something that I can really work on.

basically, I want to put a turbo on it... problem is I have no clue what size turbo to put on it. 

I'm doing an overhaul, i.e. gaskets, seals, piston rings, bearings, that sort of biz so it won't blow up as soon as i start it for the first time.

its just something fun, doest matter if it wrecks it in the long run as i just find a bigger crazier engine to put in haha. 

any help would greatly appreciated.

thanks,

kwijibo_coupe

You'll want something small, like a KO3 or a GT1752. Could even look into what turbos modern things like Fords EcoBoost cars are using? 

But be warned, these engines are known for throwing rods in standard form, so adding boost will only speed up that process. Also your insurance will no longer be cheap once you declare all the modifications.

CorbinOrchard
8 minutes ago, kwijibo_coupe said:

You'll want something small, like a KO3 or a GT1752. Could even look into what turbos modern things like Fords EcoBoost cars are using? 

But be warned, these engines are known for throwing rods in standard form, so adding boost will only speed up that process. Also your insurance will no longer be cheap once you declare all the modifications.

by throwing rods, what do you mean? 

very true about the insurance, forgot about that one! opps! haha 

kwijibo_coupe

I've heard of countless examples of these engines putting a rod through the side of the block, basically rendering the engine scrap, on standard cars. It is something that is largely unheard of with any other engines in the Polo range over the years. So to me that sounds like an inherent problem with that particular engine design rather than a lack of care or anything.

kiran_182

do research, mega amounts of research and as you do youll figure out if its the right car for the project

if not what you learn can go on the right car

increased performance is equal to reduced lifespan. increased performance with decent servicing and warming up and dow  can return some of the lifespan 

none of which goes hand in hand with a 1.2 polo prone to enging faliure. sell it on and look for an g40 or 16 16v to boost even a 2f aav is a good start for a turbo project

hellpainterexeter
do research, mega amounts of research and as you do youll figure out if its the right car for the project

if not what you learn can go on the right car

increased performance is equal to reduced lifespan. increased performance with decent servicing and warming up and dow  can return some of the lifespan 

none of which goes hand in hand with a 1.2 polo prone to enging faliure. sell it on and look for an g40 or 16 16v to boost even a 2f aav is a good start for a turbo project

Aee are cappable of 140 150 bhp tuned not sure about with aturbo as well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk