Sign in to follow this  
VWPoloG

Engine timing question

VWPoloG

Hi everyone,

I have a 1994 VW Polo AAU and I've just replaced the distributor. I wanted to check the engine timing was OK. With a timing light I manage to take some photos. In my Haynes manual it has a very different diagram for engine timing points which I think refers to a different engine code.

Could I check with you guys that it looks OK and its in the correct position?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20170218_161500.jpg

IMG_20170218_161434.jpg

rodeater

Does it have vacuum advance on your dizzy if so unplug it then check your timing at idle there will be 2 marks normally one says o.t you don't want that one as it the tdc mark you want the other one if you only have one the mark will be on the flywheel 

VWPoloG

No vacuum advance on this dizzy. It has only a single notch on the flywheel. 

Does the timing look OK?

nige8021

The timing should be set @ 800rpm and be 5+/_ 1 deg

91EDAE38-A04B-451E-A8FD-6AAAAB20890B_zps

F330DFEF-2FD2-4AAE-812F-0E6264207246_zps

VWPoloG

Thanks for responding nige8021. Unfortunately my Polo is the basic model and the instrument cluster/dashboard doesn't come with a rev counter so I don't know what we are reving it to. Is there a another way of finding out?

According to our very basic measurement: We think the degree of change (idle to throttle open) is 8.5 @ unknown rev.

Looking at your diagram I thought the timing mark should be moving from A to B in our photo, but it seems way out. Could this suggest timing is off? I mean the car sounds fairly healthy when turned on.

IMG_20170218_161500.jpg

nige8021

800 should be idle speed,  from your diagram it looks like @ idle your about 15deg ATDC rather than 5deg BTDC  You can get timing lights that give you a rpm readout

VWPoloG

Thanks for your reply and diagrams, they were very useful. I manage to get the timing sorted (almost). The engine seems to have erratic idling, on a few occasions the rpm increased (unsure what to) but as if it was accelerating. I had a quick look around the throttle body and I noticed the crankcase breather hose was damaged.

Will this be the reason for idling too high?

I can't seem to find instructions on how to replace the breather hose in the Haynes manual. Do you know if it could be referred to by a different name?