Sign in to follow this  
mazeyshane

Headlight washer relay

mazeyshane

Hello, i am retrofitting gti headlight washers to my tdi and ive have plug everything in but i need to find the relay so i can use them, also is the wiring in under the batterytray for the washer bottle motor? As i didnt get that far due to the weather. My mate has a gti hes breaking but we couldnt find the relay anywhere on the car for the headlight washers so if anyone knows where it is or has a picture where it is it would be a great help. Thanks in advance for any help

nige8021

There will not be any existing wiring for the extra headlight washer pump/relay, you'll need to add it in, the relay position is just listed as "engine bay front left"

mazeyshane

Well thats a bugger, we had a look yesterday and we could not find the relay, all we found was a big block on the chasie leg with wires coming off it surely thst ant be it cos it doesnt go to that headlight washer wires, we couldntt find it, is there no diagram on elsawin? I did have elsawin but it dont work with Windows 10 no more

nige8021

The "big lump" under the chassis leg will be the fan control unit. The location I quoted was from the Elsawin wiring diagrams, there are no pictures of where it's located.

mazeyshane

I think it is in the fuse box as i googles part number and it come up with number 95?so i think it in the relay boc under dash but then im still gona need wiring or imight just wire it to the window washer motor

nige8021

Looking at the wiring diagrams it's definitely not in the mainfusebox

F8B90061-8830-458A-A0FC-32EB2D1D89BA_zps

3D81C505-CB8C-42DB-B38A-862DF35491CA_zps

As you can see there is no connector break between the relay J39 and the pumps V11 & V59 so that means the relay is as said before in the engine bay

mazeyshane

That is very strange, because Nitually we looked all around the engine compartment and we xoulsnt see anything, its just strange because you wouls thing you would be able to see a big relay in engine bay compartment wouldnt you :/ 

nige8021

It's not going to be a "big" relay just a normal square one but possibly a bit taller than a standard one

mazeyshane

I know i didnt mean big as in massive i meant you are not gona missa relay, ill try have another look but we followed thewiring loom and it goes to the scuttle panel but then goes on to the bulkhead and into the car and i couldnt see a relay so will have to have another look, just frustrating haha

nige8021

Just had another look and the dealer wiring diagram for the relays under the dash don't show it being there but as you said if you google the part number it shows it with a 95 on the case like the other relays in the fusebox have, but that then goes against what the actual wiring diagrams show as the wire from pin 2 of the relay the White/Black wire going to the headlight pump would need to go through one of the 10 pin connectors behind the fuse/relay panel, so it must be in the engine bay somewhere !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK4-BORA-PASSAT-POLO-T4-HEADLIGHT-WASHER-95-RELAY-701-955-200-701955200-/272419097984?hash=item3f6d718d80

On the Golf/Bora Passat the relay is in the main relay panel hence the # 95 painted on it

mazeyshane

We had another look todsy nige and we couldn't see on in the engine bay anywhere, we had a look on a half stripped car and a full car intack and couldn't see anything, i will jusywire it up in to the window washer pump

mazeyshane

Well ive kind of got it working, atm if isptay it one sprayss if i let go then spray again the other sprays so yeah it goes likenthat, is the pumo not putting out enough pressure you reckon?? Cos it cant be anything do with the relay not being there can it? Cos its pressure that pushes them out

nige8021

The relay won't make it put out more pressure unless you have a poor connection and it's not getting the full 12v ? have you tried extending the jets and giving them a spray of WD40 they might be a bit sticky from non use ?

mazeyshane

Yeah i have pulled them out and pumped them a few times, they both come out but spray once at a time, i have a video of what its doing but cant post a video, its just strange how they work atm, could the pump not be putting out enough pressure?? 

nige8021

Low pressure would stop them extending, so I'd check you are getting a good 12+v at the pump if that's good and there are no signs of water leaking from any pipe joints, then a new pump or it could be the washer jets themselves

mazeyshane

Ive not fully wired them up yet im just unplugginv the window washer plug and plugging it into that, but i dont know if thats could be why my window washer is abit crap cos only one works, but dno if its blocked or not but using that would mean its getting the full 12v??

nige8021

So your trying to use the window washer pump to test the headlight washers ? if so then they won't be working properly as the pumps are different, the correct headlight washer pump is a higher pressure

mazeyshane

So what would be the beat way to wire them up mate?? To a switch in dash? But how would i get a 12v feed? Sorry im abit useless with wiring