Sign in to follow this  
Jawi91

Best option for Clutch cable replacement

Jawi91

Hi Guys,

The clutch of my VW Polo 6N2 2001 is verry stiff/rough and i want to replace it with new cable but i dont know if i should get a Self adjusting cable  or a manual adjusting cable from seat or something.

what would be best to make it smooth again

thanks in advance.

nige8021

Before you replace the cable, have a good look at the hinge point on the pedal, get a good torch and look for cracks around the pedal box as this is known weak point and was a dealer recall for a replacement pedal box

Jawi91

Will have good look than before i spend money on a new cable. 

Thanks again nige8021 :)

Jawi91

I can't see any crack's or anything the car has 100.000 km on the clock and i got it since 60.000 so its not that old. i think it might be the cable than. do u know the part number of the original cable by any chance? will it be best to get the self adjusting or a manual adjusting cable? 

Jawi91

i orderd a manual clutch cable for ibiza 6k/6n2  

PHIL SWARBRICK

Also, don't rely on the lube supplied in the cable. Use a silicon (won't rot plastic parts) oil and add it to the cable. It's made a big difference to my Mk2 cable. Easier on the left foot and freer running.

Jawi91

I was already planning on doing so :) i want this clutch to go as smooth as possible again. I was really fed up with amount of force needed to engage te clutch.. got new cable for only 35 euro :) there was a discount on it so that was nice.

Jawi91

So i fitted the manual adjustment cable today and iam not sure if i can lube it or not.. some say its bad for the coating on the cable? 

Jawi91

its fitted and mannnn its smooth as butter now :) spray it with aligator spray its good lube that replaces silicon spray.