Sign in to follow this  
Schnooky

She's back! 6n2 1.4 16v estate

Schnooky

She's back on the road! And i did it all myself! After buying her last year March, I only got to drive her for a couple of months, then she didn't respond to the gas pedal any more, I was told to scrap her as it would be too costly to repair, I was gutted as there's only a handful of this model left, I didn't want to sell or even scrap her so she was left on my drive for a year, then I had a hunch and managed to fix her, it cost me a whole £25!!! I since have done lots to her and she passed Mot last week with flying colours! Im so very proud of myself, and so very happy she's back on the road 

• Like 2

Schnooky

She still needs a few things doing, besides a good t-cut lol, but so far this is what I've done, 

New temp sensor

Replaced accelerator pedal sensor

Replaced springs and struds on the front

Replaced caliper bolts on front

Replaced battery

New pads n disks on front

New sparks

New air filter

New oil and filter

Replaced offside elec window motor

Replaced alloys and tires

New wheel bearings on back

And yes, I'm a 46yr single mum, with my own tools and on my drive, I did it myself! :D

Edited by Schnooky
Forgot to add the batt
  • Like 2

Schnooky

Still to do,

lambda sensor 1 bank 1 

Clutch eventually 

Replace backdoor handle cover

Try to find an affordable frame and motor for passenger window, which I found just resting on a piece of wood when I bought her...

I got myself one of them Bluetooth scanners, together with the OBD Torque app, its helped me enormous, and if you should have any doubt about them working, I took my car to a garage where the mechanic tried to prove me wrong with his £2.5k worth of Snap-On kit, but it came to the same conclusion lol, the lambda sensor :D

Edited by Schnooky
Add to list of to-do-stuff
  • Like 1

Audioholic

het is een x what anders. tof that je hem weer enigsinds op de weg hebt ;) 

(lol forum heeft spellingscontrole)

Edited by Audioholic
  • Like 1

Schnooky

Had a few problems since, but its all starting to work out now, things I've done since my last post,

New 70a battery

Replaced 90a alternator with a 120a

Replaced starter motor

New flexi part in the exhaust

I think I may have knocked an abs sensor too in the process, next on the list to be checked lol, I did all of it myself again, except for the flexi as it had to be welded in, good idea I thought, get a rare model I thought, it'd be worth it I thought....

:D but she is, I'm super proud driving her, and I checked on the DVLA site, she is only one of 25 registered 6n2 1.4 16v, and that includes all models, so that doesn't leave many more of the estate version, she might be the only one and I'd love to hear from any one on here who owns one or knows of one please! :smile:

• Like 1

Schnooky
On 12/05/2017 at 20:33, Audioholic said:

het is een x what anders. tof that je hem weer enigsinds op de weg hebt ;) 

(lol forum heeft spellingscontrole)

Ik weet precies wanneer iemand what van vw afweet lol, ik zie hoe ze naar mijn auto kijken want je ziet ze hier bijna niet :D Am so glad I didn't scrap her 

Schnooky

Quick update,

The problem of not charging returned and after replacing the alternator with a nearly new 90a one, including a new belt, I almost lost hope, but my good friend and mechanic put one and one together when I said, I don't know what I've done wrong, it must be a dodgy cable somewhere,  turned out it was the earthcable! Just as I suspected, and in the process he also helped me remove the broken off stud that kept the egr valve tight, so thats now fixed too with 2 new studs and gaskets, still stuff to do, but at least I dont have to drive around with a spare full battery any more lol to jump start her :D

Rocky6n2

Well done! It feels good to fix your own car! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• kainy
      By kainy
      Hey guys!

Winter is coming and I don't really plan to need my Polo that much  Thus I'm thinking to invest some time in tinkering with it.

I will soon start a build thread for it, as I initially got it just for a backup car, but now I want to "play" with it . Before that thou, I wanted to ask some questions, about things that I'm not fully clear on 

I do have some power issues with the car. The clutch cable and the clutch itself were garbage when I got the car, and I fixed them, but the shop didn't do a good job with the clutch cable and I'll need to replace it again - the clutch pedal is very heavy, noisy, sticks often and doesn't release smoothly. Still when I compare the car to my brother's Polo (same engine but AUA), there is very noticeable difference in how the car accelerates and how much easier and quicker it revs - it did also have clutch and cable changed at about the same time. It is good to mention that the AUA Polo hasn't seen proper maintenance in about 3-4 years, while in the past 2 years it was running with a faulty head - losing a lot of oil and coolant regularly. Still after a simple head gasket change, clutch and cable it runs times better than the AHW Polo that seemingly doesn't have anything wrong with it... Both Polos have their Cats removed, where for the AHW I have a whole new exhaust, except the manifold.

So, either way I do plan to service the engine of the AHW Polo. And I do have the bold idea of trying to do it myself, mostly as a challenge 

What I want to do:

1. Service the head:
      - new set of inlet and exhaust valves
      - new valve seals
      - polish on the head and the valve beds - outsource  
      - new gasket
      2. Block
      - probably just cleaning the cylinders and changing the rings
      3. Timing belt
      - belt, pulleys, water pump, etc.

Most of the things above are fairly well documented, and I shouldn't find it very hard to do, but I do plan on upgrading the engine in the future at two-three stages, and wanted to know if I should plan ahead, if I'm opening the head

Stage 1 - GTI upgrade

I already have inlet and exhaust manifolds + throttle body from a GTI. I do plan of adding them after servicing the engine. And as far as I know I will need to remap the ECU for the new throttle body

Question 1: Should I even bother with trying to remap the ECU myself, when the change is only the throttle body. An ECU tool is fairly cheap and I think it should be a nice entry level job

At a later stage I might go for the supercharging fun, but wanted to ask about the engine mods that I see being done around it - fast road camshafts, decompression plates, bigger valves, etc.

Question 2: Should these things be done to the engine only when adding the supercharger, or they can be done earlier?
      - are these the cams I should be looking for?
      - can somebody quote me which bigger valves are being used in such a set up
      - would a CLK W208 supercharger do the trick?

Question 3: If I decide not to go for airflow mods, should I just add better cam shafts to the GTI mod and call it a day? Do the new cam shaft (either from a 101hp 1.4 16v or a fast road one) require a remap?

Note: I was thinking about an engine swap, but I decided to play with this engine. I do have a bigger engine car and I am not really looking to make this Polo be something crazy.
    • baldguy
      By baldguy
      I've got a light green 3 door 6N2 1.4 16V in good condition, has some laquer issues on roof and wing and a scratch on the rear drivers wing
      87k miles with head work and can belt done at 70k - receipts included
      Black interior, Good alloys with 2 new tyres
      Blow from exhaust downpipe that has obviously put the check engine light on, recent Service to include gearbox oil
      gearbox linkage is slightly stiff but all ok, drives lovely
      12 months MOT
      Aircon- Elec windows and mirrors - No radio

A cheap project car for parts or run for a year....message me for more pictures

A give away at £350
    • aaronvw
      By aaronvw
      So my polo won't start, it was intermittent now nothing, I've seen a thread about it being a dodgy ignition switch, that been ruled out today as i tried a new one on it and no joy, just trying to find out if anyone knows of any other route to go, battery is good, starter and all the is good, got ignition just no crank
    • heartagram
      By heartagram
      Removed from 6N2 GTI 2 door.

Collection from Newcastle Upon Tyne. 

Drop me a text if you have any questions 

0738 727 3999
    • Matty4113
      By Matty4113
      Hi All, had polos for years but thought I'd show my new baby off! 21k Miles from new and a full VW history; she's like brand new. Anyway here's a picture and looking forward to gaining some knowledge.
      matt